Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

103 build, piston ring end gap,WT???!!!!???

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 08:41 PM
nocarb
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Varooom
I am finally ready to assemble the motor in my 08 Road Glide with a 103 big bore. Just received my cylinders and pistons from the machine shop. Piston kit is SE 22942-00 with ring kit 22431-00, forged flat top.
I do not have the tools to mike the cylinders or pistons so I do not know if I have proper piston/cylinder clearence of .0015-.0025 but I do have a feeler gadge and can check ring end gap.
Both top rings are at .025, both middle rings are at .035, and oil control rails are at .033.
Top should be .009-.015
middle should be .019-.029
oil control rails should be .010-.030.

Its too late in the day to call the machinest so I thought I would ask your opinion. The way I see it I have 3 options:
1) Don't worry about it, put it togather and go
2) Order oversized rings and file like crazy? HD does have a .005 oversize set (22432-00)
3) Machinest cut cylinders too big, get with him tomorrow and see how to make this right.

The machinest had me send him the pistons along with the cylinders so he could get proper piston to cylinder fit.

Please advise, I was hoping to have this beast together in time for Daytona but I am wondering if my cylinders are shot!

Thanks for your time and any and all input

Doug
I would not rush this one. Be sure all measurements are accurate. If if the specs say .??? why would you second guess that number. I would find out what is wrong and I not put back together not knowing why something isn't adding up. Find out what piston/cylinder clearance is. Find out if machinist bored to big or not. You have way too much time and money in this project to be guessing on anything.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:51 AM
Varooom
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks guys,
I will call the machinest this morning and see if I can get my local indy to mic the pistons and cylinders. The pistons do fit, very snuggly, in the cylinders.

I just don't get it: new pistons, new rings (came in a set with pistons) fresh cylinder bore and ring gap too big? I would think the bores would have to be too big or......... wrong rings?

What do I do if the cylingers/pistons mic to proper specs?

Thanks again for all your input,

Doug

Old 02-25-2010, 08:07 AM
Varooom
Road Captain

Just got off the phone with the machinest. He said he checked piston to cylinder clearence and is sure that it is correct. Spec calls for .0015-.0025. Cylinder clearence is at .0022.

He recomends I get a set of rings .005 oversize and cut them down.

Called my local HD dealer to see about another set of rings (22432-00). He said they are discontinued, not available

Any other ideas please

Thanks,

Doug

Old 02-25-2010, 08:40 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Take a piston and cyl to a small machine shop and ask them to mike the parts and see where you stand for clearance. Only takes a minute and close the the top of the bore it's a close enough reading even without torque plates. The only real way to know where you stand. If the clearance is correct, could it be you have a .005 over piston, but standard rings? Measuring them will tell you what you have for sure. If you can track down the piston manufacturer they will send you a set of rings to fit. Did that with my CP pistons to get the oil rings to a tighter clearance. Also , there has to be a set of (22432-00) somewhere in the country. They can't all vanish at once. Some of the engine builders on this site might have some laying around or have a source for them.
Ron

Old 02-25-2010, 09:50 AM
Candy Red Road Glide
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably not the case but could #1 piston be in hole #2 ?

Old 02-25-2010, 09:55 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Candy Red Road Glide
We are talking ring gaps here, not sex.
Ron

Old 02-25-2010, 02:01 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Candy Red Road Glide
Originally Posted by rbabos
We are talking ring gaps here, not sex.
Ron
LMMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-25-2010, 04:05 PM
chasswartz
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rings need to be square to the bore when you check them. I put a ring on a piston and use that to push the ring being checked down into the bore to square it up before checking. I would bet your rings are to spec.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:10 PM
Varooom
Road Captain

Originally Posted by rbabos
If the clearance is correct, could it be you have a .005 over piston, but standard rings?
Wow............funny you say that! On the bottom of the pistons, in tiny little print, next to the part number, right over the word "Aries" it says +.005.

My dealer was able to locate a set of +.005 rings and is having them overnighted. The machinest cut the cylinders to fit the pistons so being .005 over will be no problem.

So apparantly who ever packed the piston/ring package packed .005 over pistons with standard rings. rbabos nailed it. We will find out in the morning. One of the HD techs at the dealership said he would bring in torque plates and mics tomorrow and measure the cylinders and pistons for me. Funny they don't have that stuff on hand.

Thanks for all your time and input,

Doug

Old 04-11-2010, 04:29 PM
CalgaryBikeBum
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Default How did your engine end up?

I am just assembling my 103 build. Ran into same problem. Same piston kit number as you. I reused my 95 build cylinders. Figured pistons would be ok with this and just a light honing would make it good. Pistons would not fit into bores. Took to my machine shop. Pistons are about 5 thou too big??? So he fitted pistons to bores for me. Now ring gap too big too? over .035. I wondered how you made out? I am frustrated. I check another set of 95 jugs i have and rings fit well. so. Pistons are bigger then stated and now wrong rings??? Any help is appreciated.