Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter noise top end

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 08:11 PM
beachspur
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifter noise top end

07' RK 103 SBC Heads 577 cam......I have changed lifters 5 times and still getting a slapping noise. Inspection of rockers and valves look fine. This last set of lifters are SE lifters and I set to 3 1/4 turns with SE push rods. I have tried several different settings on lifters though and all seem the same. I will say that sometimes it is hard to get the feel for where to stop taking out slop in push rods because the lifters depress so easy. I have found that sometimes the lifter is able to turn as soon as I have made adjustment and it is not tight to the turn. But when it is I still have noise. I have done this several times on several different bikes and never had this problem.

Thanks

Old 02-25-2010, 11:20 PM
nemick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you've changed your lifters five times and the problem persists, it probably isn't the lifters. is there any possibility that it is excessive end float on the rocker arms? The top end of my Ultra is noisier than I would like, so I am interested in your findings.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:31 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Are you using the new tapered SE rods or the older version? The older version has been known to rub on the covers causing some noise. As well, have you clearanced the rocker boxes? I would consider opening them up and claying them as even though it may look fine to the naked eye, you're probably experiencing some clearance issues with the high lift cam.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:25 AM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How many miles do you have on the motor? Might want to check the primary cam chain for slack and adjuster shoes for wear. You may also need to check the run out on your crank

Copied from the link below >> Twisting Crankshaft
A serious Twin Cam problem that is seldom talked about is crankshaft shifting. Under hard deceleration, acceleration or burnouts, the Twin Cam's pressed-together crankshaft can twist out of true, sometimes as much as .030 inch or even more in worst circumstances. An ideally trued crank should be trued to within .001 inch. A crank severely out of true causes the end of the pinion shaft (right side) to wobble severely. Early warning signs are loud noises from the engine's gearcase area, ticking lifters and oil puking out of the breathers. The result is catastrophic damage to the oil pump and loss of oil pressure and scavenging.

Article >> http://www.baggersmag.com/tech/0805_...iven_cams.html

Old 02-26-2010, 12:48 PM
hornhonker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Warranty question. If the dealer has your engine apart for say a 110" upgrade will it void your warranty asking him to true and weld the cranks ? Yes, I know HD should "extend" your warranty for having dealt with an expensive possible future failure but in reality what do they think of this proceedure ?

Old 02-26-2010, 01:06 PM
WI Bob
Road Master

This is good. Just tagging it for later.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:27 PM
glebo
Grand HDF Member

Received 995 Likes on 326 Posts

Hard to tell without hearing it, but it may be the oil your using also.

I used amisoil ONE time for only about one oil change interval. When I ran amsoil, the top end was noticeably noisier with clatter. I switched to another brand, and it was much more quiet.

This is in a stock 07 flhr, well stock motor anyway.

But as stated in previous posts, could actually be another clearance issue to.

Just my .02 worth.

Good luck, be interesting to see what you find out.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:58 AM
beachspur
Stage III

I removed the rocker covers yesterday and ground down a couple of likely spots of contact. I lowered the lifters to 2 1/2 rounds. I still have alot more noise than I would like, but it is significantly better than it was. I am hopeing that it will get better with a little more break in miles. Packing up today and leaving for Daytona in the morning. Thanks for all the help and I will continue to post my updates as I continue my quest to dampen the valve train.
Thanks guys!!!