Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Say no to Headlight Trim Ring Crack

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 04:21 PM
Ramrod1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's still a POS!
This thing had to be designed by an idiot. Only the MOCO would try to foster off a pos trim ring like this on us.
We're the idiots for buying this pos when the forum is full of warning about this pos.
WARNING: It's a P O S.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:37 PM
HalfFast
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramrod1
It's still a POS!
This thing had to be designed by an idiot. Only the MOCO would try to foster off a pos trim ring like this on us.
We're the idiots for buying this pos when the forum is full of warning about this pos.
WARNING: It's a P O S.
I agree with you but it still looks good. I looked at some after market rings made by other people and they just didn't look as good or they were way to expensive for my budget.

I can't believe that some other company hasn't fabbed a ring with the same look that attaches the same as the stock ring. If I would have had the cash to rechrome it, I would have welded up the crack and drilled a single hole in the bottom and spot welded a tab on the top and removed the existing ring and mounted the new one like the original was mounted.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:01 PM
eglinski
Tourer

Is this problem, in regards to the "frenched" visor trim ring...and the non=visor style trim ring? I saw them both at the HD dealer yesterday I wanted to buy one at 15% discount,
then I remembered reading about the installation problems
Is this an issue everytime you want to remove the headlight to access wiring or change the bulb as well?

Old 02-27-2010, 05:51 PM
HOGBOY57
Road Captain

i'm glad i'm not the only one who had trouble. its junk and for what you pay you think you would get something better. but what do we expect it was probably made in china.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:00 PM
redhwk44
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanx man, I got a new Ultra coming and was planning this upgrade. I had heard the horror stories involved with the HD instructions. Glad I saw this.

Jeff

Old 02-27-2010, 06:06 PM
KingCripps
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It truly is a POS. I pulled the screw through last time I put it on. I purchased a washer to try to make it work again. They should have just replaced the stock ring with the new one. Must be some "engineer" again. They seem to never do anything, just engineer.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:19 PM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I guess I'll hop on the band wagon here............

All of these trim rings offered by Harley are real POS's!!!!!!!! I bought one and tried to install it with the same troubles as every one here (and every other one of these threads) has mentioned. After an hour of F'ing around with it I was able to get the same results as the original poster of this thread............................ BUT there was still an ugly gap between the headlight and the ring itself which I found to be completely disgusting!!!! I went back to the dealer the very next day and returned the POS and when the guy asked me why I was returning it I told him and I quote myself "this is the biggest piece of crap I have ever seen from the MOCO and I refuse to put it on my bike" The guy laughed at me and said "your not the first person to return one of these for that reason" No questions asked I got my cash back and I was on my way.

on a side note I seen other people put a foam "gasket" like thingy around the ring so it filled the gap and overall made the ring look decent but in my opinion it would only look good if you were to powder coat the ring black so it matches the "gasket" and since I'm not going to hop on the "lets black out every piece of brand new chrome on my bike" fad that everyone seems to think is the best thing since sliced bread I'll just stay away from the rings all together haha. Maybe 10 years from now when all my chrome is pitted and gross I'll start blacking everything out, but then again it probably won't be "cool" in 10 years.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:21 PM
dredy2g
Tourer

I didn't have any prob with my trim rings just loosen the stocker and put the new visor over and tightened it then the stocker if u can reach it....no crack.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:31 PM
eglinski
Tourer

Does anyone have any experience with the "headlight visor"? looks like it would attatch between the headlight and the stock trim ring.
I have an aftermarket fairing on my 05 RK and would like the headlight chrome to stick out further.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:17 PM
stewy1200c
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks half, If I can get the stripped out bolt out I'll put the clamp to it.

Quick Reply: Say no to Headlight Trim Ring Crack