Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Say no to Headlight Trim Ring Crack

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 07:50 PM
HalfFast
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eglinski
Is this problem, in regards to the "frenched" visor trim ring...and the non=visor style trim ring? I saw them both at the HD dealer yesterday I wanted to buy one at 15% discount,
then I remembered reading about the installation problems
Is this an issue everytime you want to remove the headlight to access wiring or change the bulb as well?
Yep, this is the same trim ring.
Another hint, if you buy it from www.LSHD1.com, you can get it for 20% off + no tax (unless you live in IL) and free shipping.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:57 PM
HalfFast
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by KingCripps
It truly is a POS. I pulled the screw through last time I put it on. I purchased a washer to try to make it work again. They should have just replaced the stock ring with the new one. Must be some "engineer" again. They seem to never do anything, just engineer.
I tried the washer but it didn't look right so I laid the inside of the ring on an anvil and held a piece of UHMW (so I wouldn't chip the chrome) on the outside of the hole and smacked it a couple of times with a hammer and closed the hole back up. It actually looked better than it did before I pulled the nut through the hole.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:18 PM
HalfFast
Road Warrior

Here are couple of pics of the side crack where the ring meets the headlight bucket. Eventually, I will find a way to get rid of that too. I aint gonna let this bitch beat me. Until then I will live with that crack because it is mostly hidden behind the passing lamps..lol.

Attached Thumbnails Say no to Headlight Trim Ring Crack-p1040151.jpg   Say no to Headlight Trim Ring Crack-p1040154.jpg  
Old 02-27-2010, 08:25 PM
OLNo7Street
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to post those instructions. I dealt with the same frustration last summer when I put mine on. I worked and worked on it until I got it on there without the gap.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:29 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/2804...paign=products

$428 sounds cheap after reading these post......Sorry, it's the "crack" talking....

Old 02-27-2010, 08:36 PM
ddm502001
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I gave up on the one I bought, it is on the work bench with no hope of going back on. I bought a HD SE RK contoured ring that has no gaps or adjustment cuts, not frenched look but better than stock. 69289-05.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:47 PM
Bigfat
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hog-doc
Ive NEVER read the HD instructs so I dont know what they say to do, but you loosen (not remove) the screw for the stock ring, slip the new ring on and work it BEHIND the stock ring. Now tighten the screw for the new ring till you can just get a driver in the gap and tighten the stock screw, then finish tightening the new screw till there is no gap.

This has worked a couple hundred times so far.
That's the way I installed the trim ring for the head light and had no problem, no gaps.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:12 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Originally Posted by ddm502001
I gave up on the one I bought, it is on the work bench with no hope of going back on. I bought a HD SE RK contoured ring that has no gaps or adjustment cuts, not frenched look but better than stock. 69289-05.
are you sure about that stock number? i looked it up at zanotti's and it comes back as an auxiliary lamp kit, $180.74

Old 02-27-2010, 10:23 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts
Talking

Will it work on this crack too?

Old 02-27-2010, 11:32 PM
cathead
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

You guys are right - those cracks are butt-ugly!!! Does anyone have the same problems with the visor rings for the passing lamps too, or is it just the headlight? I stumbled on a headlight visor ring a few years ago in the J&P catalog. It has no separation at the bottom and just goes on like the factory ring. I kept it when I sold the FLHS and it's on the RK now. I don't see it in J&P anymore - I think it's a Custom Chrome part.

Quick Reply: Say no to Headlight Trim Ring Crack