Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10 Limited 103 upper engine rattle noise

Old 09-23-2014, 04:38 PM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Normal....

When you do your Top End stick in a pair of the SE Rockers and Bigger Springs...

I stop using synthetic and it's 20% "less noise"

Originally Posted by envexed
Ok, just how much upper engine rattle is normal ?

It is a real problem at a certain RPM and goes away close to 3K and under a load in 6th
but in lower gears and just over 2K it bothers me a great deal .

THE ONLY thing I've found that bug me about this Limited.

Any one else have this problem, or do I have a problem?

Old 09-24-2014, 07:58 AM
IrishHogtrotter
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Not saying this is everyones problem, but I've been driven nuts with the dreaded ping. I've had the 'its normal', and 'they all do it' from dealers and indies. I've had this jingle for months and tried all the fastner tightening, fuelpak coding etc I could think of.

Enough was enough and I pulled the exhaust system to pieces, and there in the front header pipe was a penny sized piece of metal, which I think is the remains from where the factory drills out a hole for the O2 sensor.

The cat stopped it getting blown out, and its been rattling and jingling at will ever since!

It took me months to find and sort it. But wohoooooo, its finally gone

Old 09-25-2014, 06:44 AM
jeffRKMC
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my 4th limited since 2012 and the all sound like the valves are coming out of them! Maybe its time for something in the way of a class action to get harley's attention and get this taken care of.. Who wants to spend over $27000 for something that sounds like its starting out with 60,000 miles on it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO tired of hearing " its normal" from Harley and the dealer !! Aren't you ?

Old 09-25-2014, 08:28 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffRKMC
On my 4th limited since 2012 and the all sound like the valves are coming out of them! Maybe its time for something in the way of a class action to get harley's attention and get this taken care of.. Who wants to spend over $27000 for something that sounds like its starting out with 60,000 miles on it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO tired of hearing " its normal" from Harley and the dealer !! Aren't you ?
Are you serious, a class action over valve train noise from a 100 year old design push rod engine? I hope you enjoy getting laughed out of court.

They tell you "it's normal" because it is. Learn to live with it or buy a Honda.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:46 AM
JONNIEROCK
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 73 Posts

My last two bikes kind of have the same upper noise. A 2012 and a 2014 Limited. I guess you would call it upper valve train noise.
Jonnierock

Old 10-26-2014, 08:05 PM
Farmboy666
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishHogtrotter
Not saying this is everyones problem, but I've been driven nuts with the dreaded ping. I've had the 'its normal', and 'they all do it' from dealers and indies. I've had this jingle for months and tried all the fastner tightening, fuelpak coding etc I could think of.

Enough was enough and I pulled the exhaust system to pieces, and there in the front header pipe was a penny sized piece of metal, which I think is the remains from where the factory drills out a hole for the O2 sensor.

The cat stopped it getting blown out, and its been rattling and jingling at will ever since!

It took me months to find and sort it. But wohoooooo, its finally gone
09 RK 96" I looked for something loose and finally went to the dealer thinking they might have a better idea. Tech road it and said it sounded like a lazy lifter, was skeptical but had them put SE lifters and adjustable rods, he called me and said sound had changed and maybe the PC 5 was the problem, at this point what the hell. Put in a street commander and got 15 more HP and 11 lbs more torque. Picked up the bike and road 2 miles, exact same noise. Disgusted, Sound starts at 18 to 20 mph in 1st and goes up about 10 mph in every gear. Seems to come from left side and sounds like something in the header pipe. Not a ping but like a rattle can. Bike runs great otherwise.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:47 PM
jeffRKMC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by envexed
Ok, just how much upper engine rattle is normal ?

It is a real problem at a certain RPM and goes away close to 3K and under a load in 6th
but in lower gears and just over 2K it bothers me a great deal .

THE ONLY thing I've found that bug me about this Limited.

Any one else have this problem, or do I have a problem?
. Yes and in fact a hd rep is looking at mine on Friday .. Can pass on what is said ..

Old 10-27-2014, 06:30 PM
mikeo33y
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffRKMC
hahahahaha come on. sir. go buy a rice rocket. these are pushrod air cooled engines. its the nature of the beast. my ultra runs loud and it runs great.

Old 02-17-2019, 05:30 PM
jca0806
Stage II

Originally Posted by donf610
Thank you!!
Finally someone else has it at 2800 rpm. I wrote about this when I first got my RG.103. I cant believe I've finally accepted this noise and have gotten use to it. Plus ear plugs do help alot
I am not referring to pinging. I use to have it till I got PC5
My Roadglide has the valve noise at 2800 rpms, I hate it and don’t enjoy riding it because of this. What is PC5. What is that cause if the noise.

Old 02-17-2019, 05:48 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Have a look around my website, you'll see the typical cause.... and the patent pending solution

John @ Rockout

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 10 Limited 103 upper engine rattle noise