Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPHONE through Radio

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 10:24 AM
apopj
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up iPHONE through Radio

Guys,

I hate to say this, but my Georgia girlfriend taught me something about my Harley. She just bought a 2010 Tri-Glide, and has been playing with everything and learning a lot...
Anyhow, she found out that if you have an iPHONE and the Advanced radio (or maybe others too) on your Harley, you can talk on the phone while riding. I know guys, not a good idea, but there are times (emergency from family) when you can't help it. So anyhow, here's how it works....
Run down to the local Radio Shack and pick up a stereo (3 wire) cord of the appropriate lenght. This will have a mini stereo plug on each end.
Now, plug one end into your iPHONE, and the other end into the AUX input on the front of the radio.
Change the MODE on the radio to AUX. Now Turn on the iPHONE and start listening to your music.
When a call comes in, simply press answer on the phone and begin talking, assuming you have the headphone/microphone setup in your helmet. The music will mute and the call will come through the headphones. You will speak into the mic and the caller can hear you. When the call is done, the music will once again begin playing. Hang up as normal and continue on your way.... how freakin' cool is that???
But, please please please, be safe.... talking on the phone while riding could get you KILLED........ don't fool around with your or your passengers life!!!!!!!
Thank you so much Belinda... we all appreciate your tip

Last edited by apopj; 03-09-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:44 AM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I do it all the time, plus I use the Sirus Radio Apt so I have Sat Radio on the bike also. I have it set up on the RAM mount, works great.

Be Safe JIM

Old 03-09-2010, 12:01 PM
bldap
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Using a Bluetooth headset (Cardo Scala G4) I'm able to listen to music, take calls, and get navigation directions all via iPhone. Great setup. Can also pair up with two other rides, if they are also running Cardo uints! Actually 2 riders plus their passengers if all are using Cardo units.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:26 PM
TRUBRIT
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking Phone????

Sorry Guys you are doing it all wrong. The Bike is the only place I can get away from the damn phone. Can't hear it.....don't want to hear it......happy..

Old 03-09-2010, 12:35 PM
locodude
Road Captain

will the phone ring come through the speakers? I'm on call 24/7 and can't hear or feel the damn thing in my pocket. I already knew that you could play it through the stereo and it works great but was just wondering if you could hear it ring.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:50 PM
bfrank
Tourer

Originally Posted by locodude
will the phone ring come through the speakers? I'm on call 24/7 and can't hear or feel the damn thing in my pocket. I already knew that you could play it through the stereo and it works great but was just wondering if you could hear it ring.
I do not hear it ring but since it's mounted on the RAM mount and when a call comes in the music stops it's pretty easy to tell if you are getting a call.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:50 PM
Chucky
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that just because you can do it does not mean it is a good idea. But, will it work with a Blackberry? Don't see why it would not.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

YUP! It works with the Blackberry too, I had to go out and try it... very cool! I did have to jiggle the cord going from the phone to the radio so maybe I need a new cord, but it did work.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:12 PM
69z28
Road Warrior

I'm guessing it will work with any phone with an output jack on it.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:53 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by locodude
will the phone ring come through the speakers?
....... it rings thru mine.
.... Don't have the advanced unit (it's a stock '05 stereo) but i plug the iPhone into the aux port & start up the iPod for tunes, if I get a call the music fades & the ringer comes on, the tunes come back on when the 5 rings are done.
..I don't answer the phone while riding, but i know if there's something on the voicemail when I finally make a stop.

Quick Reply: iPHONE through Radio