Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID headlight options

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Prodaytrader
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID headlight options

It was my understanding that HID and Xenon were two separate technologies. Is that not the case? I was on ebay and it appears to me that Xenon conversion kits are the only option for replacing headlight bulbs.

Here is what I am really after: I want a headlight that I can pulse with a switch on my handle bar. I envision a bright white light similar in nature to a police squad car. I want a switch on the handle bar that would let me flash or pulse the light. I did not know they already had something that according to Harley tech will work on my main headlight. I figure since I was in there or would be anyway to install this pulsing modulator thingy, that I might as well replace the headlights as well. Apparently LED headlights are not an option yet, so I figured HID would be the way to go. I have an Audi with HID lights which totally rule the road. I'd like to do something similar to the Harley.

03 Road King Classic with the 3 lights on the front. I will probably not make the huge investment and install HID on the two flood lights to the left and right of my headlight but I would like to come close to the color at least. I'm not sure what options I have yet for matching up the new headlight with the flood lights.

All in all, I intend to get the best option for HID lights, matching flood lights or close to it, and finally a pulse module with switch on ebay. I have a friend that can install for me. I find ebay much much cheaper than the Harley store and 9 times out of 10 it's the same part anyway. So what are my options on HID headlights and if you know something about this pulse module which will let me flicker my headlight, share that with me too. thx

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-X...Q5fAccessories Found this kit, but it's only 50 dollars compared to the 400 I am seeing for other kits. What should I be looking for in HID kits?

Last edited by Prodaytrader; 03-12-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:17 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Try H-D part #67864-04A - $164.95 - 98% as good a light as HID JMOP.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Prodaytrader
Intermediate

I have been reading up on the Xenon conversion kits and apparently they suck no matter what brand. From what I can tell it looks like there are really only two options, either replace the entire assembly with a HID bulb and reflector or simply replace the existing bulbs with specialty bulbs like the Phillips Xtreme's. It would seem that the conversion kits don't work that well because you really need a reflector that is designed for them. I will poke around and see what options exist for total lamp replacement instead of just replacing the bulb and installing a ballast. If that doesn't work out then I guess I will just replace the bulbs with something a tad more intense. That seems to be the option most people are happiest with anyway. From there I can still install a pulse switch since they work with regular bulbs too.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:05 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

I put the dual bulb halogen kit on my 07 RKCustom as in my first reply. If you just want to replace the bulb in your stock headlight remember to get one made for a motorcycle because some car bulbs will not hold to the shook.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:15 PM
LUBA
Cruiser

I just bought an HID from Motorcycle Metal- a sponser on here. I will be installing it this weekend on my 08 SG.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:31 PM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have this kit in my RG.

http://www.xenonlink.com/H4+Bi-Xenon...enon+6000K.htm

I have had it since Dec 08 and haave no problems. The lighting is far better then stock. It doesn't suck to me...I never replaced the reflector and the kit works just fine.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:35 PM
heywood727
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can use the HID's from Howard.

You may have to readjust the aiming of the headlight.

You can not pulse the HID's. If you have HID's or watched when they come on, they have to power up a bit first.

If your not sure what I'm talking about, go to Howards site and take a look at the picture and video's that he has on his site.

Here's one through a welding glass. This should show why they won't pulse:

http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/j...IDProject1.flv

Old 03-12-2010, 07:47 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HID won't stand up to pulsing. Pulse modulators are only designed for use with an incandescent bulb. The only way an HID can work as a pulsed lamp is if its an actual strobe light. No quite legal for use on public roads unless your police or some other emergency vehicle.

The item you selected has no mention of "Hi" beam. Unless your going to convert over the entire head lamp assy to run with dual bulb. So one is Lo beam, being your HID, and the second bulb as Hi beam that would most likely pass inspection. If not then you will have uninstall your HID and go back to stock. That is if you are required to pass state inspection where you live.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:57 PM
heywood727
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The HID's from Howard move back and forth. Mimics the same action as going from 1 filment to the other.

It's on his site. Another video through a welding glass that shows the bulb moving from Hi beam to low beam.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:31 PM
bklyn roadking
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if anyone wants i have a brand new HID kit for sale its a h4 6000k with the slim balist.pm me with offers its from ddm tunning if u go on there site its the h4 but i upgraded to 55w.

Quick Reply: HID headlight options