Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New York/New Jersey/Connecticut & Rhode Island Riders - Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 11:06 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

All suggestions are great and I will be printing out this post to study later... I really need to hit RI on the way to MA... Have already ridden in NH and Maine.... Will touch the bottom of VT on our way West out of Waltham... Spent 5 days in VT and NH Last Oct 1st for all the fall colors... Really great but Wow, the road surface really was bad.. Had wanted to do that on the bike... glad I had the SUV for those 5 days..

Thanks again,,, All Suggestions will be printed and studied.... So, on June 13-15 if you see a Smoky gold and Black FLHTCI with CA (fire fighter) Plates and two lost souls... lol... wave me over and the beer is on Me...

Old 03-16-2010, 11:28 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by VINNIE JAMES
LEAVING CAPE MAY YOU WILL HIT 3 TO 4 TRAFFIC LIGHTS ON THE GSP. THE NICE PART IS THAT THERE IS NO TRACTOR TRAILERS OVER EXIT 105. I WOULD TAKE THE Tappan Zee Bridge INTO NY. UNLESS YOU WANT TO SEE MANHATTAN. KEEP IN TOUCH. BEING AN OUT OF WORK TRUCK DRIVER...I HAVE ALL THE TIME TO HELP YOU THRU THESE STATES. BTW WHY CAPE MAY? AND HOW ARRE YOU GETTING THERE? GOOD LUCK,VINNIE
Remember - I Have to ride in these states After leaving DC

Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, Conn and Rhode Island...

NY and Penn will be passed through on the way home.. of course NY will be hit as I head to Conn..

But I really need to hit NJ,DE,Conn and RI...

BTW - NO need to see Manhattan, been there and done that... like I said.. just need to get through and I am looking at some of the other routes.. Yes, I do have a Garmin Zumo (BIB = Bitch in Box) lol
Cape May????

Well, we have a few days to make it to Boston area and I would like to visit a nice example of an OLD Boardwalk place and several people have told me that in that area are some good examples.. I grew up in Northern CA and went to Santa Cruz Beach boardwalk in the 60's - great fun. http://www.beachboardwalk.com/ .. Never have been on the NJ coast and looks interesting.. have NO interest in Atlantic City... just came home for a 7 day stay in Las Vegas... have had enough of that for awhile...

Hey,,, if you have time in June and want to lead - again, food and beer are on me...

Last edited by harley0711; 03-16-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:37 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by VINNIE JAMES
LEAVING CAPE MAY YOU WILL HIT 3 TO 4 TRAFFIC LIGHTS ON THE GSP. THE NICE PART IS THAT THERE IS NO TRACTOR TRAILERS OVER EXIT 105. I WOULD TAKE THE Tappan Zee Bridge INTO NY. UNLESS YOU WANT TO SEE MANHATTAN. KEEP IN TOUCH. BEING AN OUT OF WORK TRUCK DRIVER...I HAVE ALL THE TIME TO HELP YOU THRU THESE STATES. BTW WHY CAPE MAY? AND HOW ARRE YOU GETTING THERE? GOOD LUCK,VINNIE

Leaving DC and heading about due East to 'Lewes?' DE and riding the ferry over to Cape May... just for something different?

Old 03-17-2010, 01:09 AM
ptl203
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Avoid the Garden State Parkway northbound north of exit 105 anytime between 7:30-9:00 am if possible. Traffic during those hours can be horrible. Either plan on leaving Cape May around 8am or make sure you leave very early in the morning and try to beat the traffic. Just my $.02

Old 03-17-2010, 06:01 AM
The Old Man
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Cape May ferry is a good take. About an hour as I remember. The will board bikes first and park them up in the bow. Your also off first.........
You can grab some thing to eat on there also.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:37 AM
grumpus
Advanced

Lived down there for many years. I would avoid the GWB on my bike, very congested and signage coming off can be confusing. Best way over is Tappan Zee. They have been redoing the 287 corridor for awhile now, avoid hitting it at traffic hours. Then 95 can be congested northbound up to Milford. To hit RI, 95 is best bet. Definately not the scenic route.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:46 AM
Flying Horse
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by giroman
i would take the garden state parkway all the way into new york and take the thruway over the tapan zee bridge into conn. and avoid the gw bridge and the cross bronx exp.
Seems like the better plan. North Jersey can be a ***** and entry into NY is difficult at best with all the congestion plus the Tappan Zee Bridge route is more interesting.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:48 AM
Flying Horse
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by The Old Man
The Cape May ferry is a good take. About an hour as I remember. The will board bikes first and park them up in the bow. Your also off first.........
You can grab some thing to eat on there also.
Its expensive BUT it is one of the more interesting things you could do. I recommend it. They even have a bar.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:58 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by giroman
i would take the garden state parkway all the way into new york and take the thruway over the tapan zee bridge into conn. and avoid the gw bridge and the cross bronx exp.
Ditto! It's more scenic, safer and more pleasant of a ride too.

Avoid the GW Bridge and the Cross Bronx Expressway like the plague that they are. Every time I travel to New England from my home in NJ for business, I go across the Tappan Zee, even though that route is a few miles longer.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:22 AM
mike1158
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

definately don't leave Cape May before 8. you don't wanna be in North Jersey or trying to get over the G Washington Bridge anytime between 7 -10.
As far as the 287 north to NY thruway South to Tapanzee..yes a bit of a nicer ride..but a bit longer.
Going through NY over the G Washington Bridge is a crap shoot, typically mid day you move right on through..but know this, if there is even a small probelm in this area (accident, road work) it will make a BIG diference.
I understand you are basically just looking to put a few more notches in your belt, and your trying to be time efficient. In my opinion the 15 or so extra miles (going GSP to 287N to NY Thruway South to Tapanzee Bridge) would be a more predictable choice. The scenery will be a little nicer,you'll still be doing highway speeds but you'll miss the north eastern corner of the state (the grimey area that unfortunately the whole world THINKS is what Jersey is, thanks to the Sopranos)
In the big picture planing on a little extra time going around NYC is a small price to pay for a more predictable ride. oh and speaking of price to pay, you'll say a couple bucks..no tolls on 287
Good luck,

Last edited by mike1158; 03-17-2010 at 08:25 AM.

Quick Reply: New York/New Jersey/Connecticut & Rhode Island Riders - Need advice