Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddlebag fell off !!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 07:26 PM
Cep10SG
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went to Lowes and got 4 round headed allen bolts (3/8 by 1 inch), 4 of those u shaped fender nuts and washers. I spent less than 10 bucks. I also used a little blue lock tight for friction just in case they come loose but never have. easily removed for cleaning.
Cep

Old 05-29-2016, 10:41 AM
heshy
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Road Glide saddlebag fell off

I bought a new 2015 Road Glide last year. I heard from a friend there was a recall on several 2015 Road Glides for saddlebags falling off. I never received any notification from Harley Davidson regarding the issue. I was at the dealership one day and asked the guys in the service department about it. They looked up my serial number and said my bike was one of the recalls; how the hell was I supposed to know about is beyond me.
Nevertheless, they "supposedly" fixed the hardware for me on the spot.

Yesterday we were out for ride cruising around 55-60 mph when we hear a banging sound only to notice the right saddlebag had fallen off the bike. The bags have lights installed so the wire for the lights held the bag; it was dragging and bouncing on the road. And this is after they fixed it.

There are countless scenarios we could all think of with a bag falling off that could kill someone, or several people. The thought of this happening in a group ride is downright frightening.

The irresponsibility on behalf of Harley Davidson is disgraceful.

After this Memorial Day weekend I'll find out how Harley Davidson handles this manufacturer's defect. I hope they have the integrity to fix my bike immediately at no cost to me and reimburse us for all the stuff that scattered in the road and got ran over by cars.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:51 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Can't wait to hear what happens.

Old 05-29-2016, 11:06 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,534 Likes on 4,632 Posts

Originally Posted by heshy
After this Memorial Day weekend I'll find out how Harley Davidson handles this manufacturer's defect.
Another first time poster who joined with an axe to grind...

Giving the dealership the chance to make it right should have been the first thing you did, before posting a overly dramatic whining first post.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 05-29-2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:13 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Just bungee them down on a long trip. Gives it that Ma and Pa Kettle look.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:30 AM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Another first time poster who joined with an axe to grind...

Giving the dealership the chance to make it right should have been the first thing you did, before posting a overly dramatic whining first post.
Yup - drama queen. I haven't heard of anyone not receiving the recall on this issue from Harley. My guess is that it's either operator error or the dealership messed up. Either way it's not the Motor Company's fault.

Last edited by davessworks; 05-30-2016 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:35 PM
talkingrock
Road Warrior
Received 428 Likes on 286 Posts

I have a 2016 I guess they fixed it , but I check my pins before we leave when I also check the blinkers , brake light and head light this is my pre ride check list

Old 07-05-2016, 02:57 PM
Mischelez
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Saddle bag fell off and almost killed my best friend riding behind me.

I cannot believe HD doesn't have a recall on the saddle bags on my 2006 street glide. I check those stupid POS clips every time I go out but one hard bump and boom there goes another saddle bag off the bike.

This is crazy I came close to killing a fellow rider this morning on the way into work. I cannot believe Harley Davidson has no recall on these bags. Now I have to figure out how to secure them and buy new bags because mine now look like I dropped my bike and since I am a girl I do not want that look!!!

Originally Posted by Rammy
Today started well with sunshine and a trip out to North Yorkshire to get some miles on my hog. To show how at piece I was with the world I even let the trouble and strife come along . After a couple of hours at a roundabout a car pulled up alongside and helpfully advised that my right side saddlebag had parted company with the bike some 5 miles back . At which point the wife says 1. Did you not screw them on properly? 2. I thought I heard something come off, but didn't notice the saddlebag was missing when I looked.... Needless to say a thorough search back along the road proved fruitless, and now I'm in need of a replacement RHKC saddlebag.

We must have covered 50 miles or so before it came off, and although I blame myself for not having secured the locking screw, I just wondered if anyone else has suffered a similar mishap.

And of course if anyone has a right side saddlebag I'm very interested

Old 07-05-2016, 03:19 PM
mibeaulieu
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mischelez
I cannot believe HD doesn't have a recall on the saddle bags on my 2006 street glide. I check those stupid POS clips every time I go out but one hard bump and boom there goes another saddle bag off the bike.

This is crazy I came close to killing a fellow rider this morning on the way into work. I cannot believe Harley Davidson has no recall on these bags. Now I have to figure out how to secure them and buy new bags because mine now look like I dropped my bike and since I am a girl I do not want that look!!!
Get a set of these - bolt them on. $10
http://www.ebay.com/itm/142039422621...84.m1558.l2649

Old 07-05-2016, 03:26 PM
X Iron Butt
Supporter
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mischelez

Mischelez,
Check that your bags are firmly setting on the support bar under them before the pins are installed. Check the rubber bumpers that go between the bag and bar are there and are firmly in place. You also should not have to move the bag at all to get the pins in. The holes should line up (both of them) when you secure the pins so the pins go right into the securing spring without jiggling or moving the bag. Check the pins for bends or deformation on the ends where the slots are. I have never had a loose bag after making adjustments to the mounting brackets like above. New pins are pretty cheap and they are not designed to hang any vertical weight of the bags.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Saddlebag fell off !!