Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddlebag fell off !!

Old 03-19-2010, 06:32 PM
Rammy
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saddlebag fell off !!

Today started well with sunshine and a trip out to North Yorkshire to get some miles on my hog. To show how at piece I was with the world I even let the trouble and strife come along . After a couple of hours at a roundabout a car pulled up alongside and helpfully advised that my right side saddlebag had parted company with the bike some 5 miles back . At which point the wife says 1. Did you not screw them on properly? 2. I thought I heard something come off, but didn't notice the saddlebag was missing when I looked.... Needless to say a thorough search back along the road proved fruitless, and now I'm in need of a replacement RHKC saddlebag.

We must have covered 50 miles or so before it came off, and although I blame myself for not having secured the locking screw, I just wondered if anyone else has suffered a similar mishap.

And of course if anyone has a right side saddlebag I'm very interested

Old 03-19-2010, 06:45 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

I haven't had it happen but plenty of others have.
Your thread reminds me to change the mounts on mine. There's a thread somewhere here that show a couple good methods of doing it. Started out as an anti-theft idea.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:46 PM
Fitter64
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard this unfortunate story before, so this past winter I removed the spring retainers and mounted the bags with stainless bolts,washers and nuts. Just a tad bit more time to remove them but gained a piece of mind.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:47 PM
pbsdaddy
Extreme HDF Member

Received 5,381 Likes on 2,486 Posts

Rammy: there have been someother threads about bag problems and better ways of securing them. Try a seach of this section. You should be able to find all the info you need. Sorry, I don't have any spare bags.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:49 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A friend here locally lost one of the saddlebags on his Road King Classic about 3 weeks ago.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:51 PM
Sketz
Cruiser

Sorry to hear about your problem, but yes, bags falling off has been a problem with quite a few, in addition to bags being easily stolen. What many members of the forum have reported is that they are removing the quick release latches and bolting the bags in place to prevent the possibility of losing them either by the quick release not locking down properly or preventing someone from easily removing (stealing) them. Do a search and I'm sure you will find various ways folks have been securing the bags.
Hope that helps.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:54 PM
Rammy
Stage IV

I've just been reading the "How to Secure" tips, and clearly a great idea based on a lot of personal experience. I'll certainly being doing some adjustments to mine needless to say...my Sportster had no bags, so I'm learning this lesson quickly, but the expensive way. Speaking of which, how much will a fresh set of saddlebags cost?

Old 03-19-2010, 06:55 PM
woosh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there any factory fix to the mounting?

Old 03-19-2010, 06:58 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 143 Posts

Check on ebay, I've seen single bags on there quite often, they usually go for less than half that of a set.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:02 PM
producer
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not yet. Pre-occupation can be a real *** kicker, can't it?? The power of the ***** cat usually gets me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Saddlebag fell off !!