Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bump starting a dead EFI?

Old 03-22-2010, 10:02 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 211 Posts

I have always wondered if it would work to make a set of jumper cables that had the tender charger ends on it. I think it will work now that I hear you had success with a tv power cord. I guess I should give it a try and hope that the next person I run into that needs a jump or is offering me one has a tender charger plug installed.

Dennis

Old 03-23-2010, 08:56 PM
bmorebhoy
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That's exactly what I did, used the kill switch to turn off the bike in gear, just like the dealer told me to, but neglected to turn off the ignition and lock it. VERY lucky the bike wasn't stolen.

The idea of using the battery charger leads as jumpers occurred to me as well initially but the more I learned and thought about it, it's a bad idea. The TV power cord we used was 18 gauge, very thin, and got very hot very quick. It's too small for that amount of amperage. As soon as we got it started we pulled the wire away. the guys were just hand holding the wire to the battery terminals and they were wearing gloves. Tough guys determined to get the bike started. But you want to get the wire leads off ASAP. The battery tender leads are 16 gauge, not much thicker than what we were forced to use. A battery tender operates at low amperage, cranking a V-Twin starter motor does not. The other problem with using the battery tender leads is you won't be able to get the wire disconnected quickly and may fry some electronics in one or both of the bikes. The jumper cables I've found online are either 8 or 10 gauge wire, much more copper to handle the large amperage load of starting a bike. I really wouldn't recommend trying to jump a bike with the tender connection. What little I know about electricity says things will fry, hopefully just the wire, maybe the battery and hopefully not the computer "brain."
Here's a "how to" link I found and some made cables;
http://www.ehow.com/how_4448881_make...er-cables.html
http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products...sp?Item=BBOOST
http://www.jirehmetric.com/servlet/Detail?no=29

Old 09-28-2015, 07:43 AM
bobbermike
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After skimming thru this thread...got a problem...asking for a solution
Problem...dead battery? everything turns on but the bike. Press the start switch and nothing happens
Can I charge the battery by connecting the negative to the frame? Will I fry something?
Just want to start it so I can get to shop
I am mechanically challenged to say the least. I hope the forum can help me
thanks

Old 09-28-2015, 08:01 AM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbermike
Problem...dead battery? everything turns on but the bike. Press the start switch and nothing happens
Can I charge the battery by connecting the negative to the frame? Will I fry something?
thanks
I'm confused... with your application or problem, why would you make a connection from negative to frame.

Why not use jumper cables and a vehicle and use standard jump method?

Old 09-28-2015, 08:06 AM
bobbermike
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should say...it is a 2012 sportster...
To answer your question...I cannot get to the negative post...and do not know how to remove battery....seems like it would be somewhat difficult

Old 09-28-2015, 08:13 AM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Just be aware , you will be replacing that battery soon, because they don't last long at all after being run down.

Originally Posted by bmorebhoy
That's exactly what I did, used the kill switch to turn off the bike in gear, just like the dealer told me to, but neglected to turn off the ignition and lock it. VERY lucky the bike wasn't stolen.

The idea of using the battery charger leads as jumpers occurred to me as well initially but the more I learned and thought about it, it's a bad idea. The TV power cord we used was 18 gauge, very thin, and got very hot very quick. It's too small for that amount of amperage. As soon as we got it started we pulled the wire away. the guys were just hand holding the wire to the battery terminals and they were wearing gloves. Tough guys determined to get the bike started. But you want to get the wire leads off ASAP. The battery tender leads are 16 gauge, not much thicker than what we were forced to use. A battery tender operates at low amperage, cranking a V-Twin starter motor does not. The other problem with using the battery tender leads is you won't be able to get the wire disconnected quickly and may fry some electronics in one or both of the bikes. The jumper cables I've found online are either 8 or 10 gauge wire, much more copper to handle the large amperage load of starting a bike. I really wouldn't recommend trying to jump a bike with the tender connection. What little I know about electricity says things will fry, hopefully just the wire, maybe the battery and hopefully not the computer "brain."
Here's a "how to" link I found and some made cables;
http://www.ehow.com/how_4448881_make...er-cables.html
http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products...sp?Item=BBOOST
http://www.jirehmetric.com/servlet/Detail?no=29

Old 09-28-2015, 08:16 AM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

To answer your question...I cannot get to the negative post...and do not know how to remove battery....seems like it would be somewhat difficult
without me explaining... watch this video
it will help you out.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:19 AM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rochkes
I have always wondered if it would work to make a set of jumper cables that had the tender charger ends on it. I think it will work now that I hear you had success with a tv power cord. I guess I should give it a try and hope that the next person I run into that needs a jump or is offering me one has a tender charger plug installed.

Dennis
Have your pigtail and make up a short pigtail with your plug on one end and the clamps on the other. That way, you can jump them or they ( not having your connectors) can jump you

Old 09-28-2015, 08:21 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

thanks
Using the frame for negative works fine. The neg(-) terminal on the battery goes directly to the frame(chassis ground).

If you can't get to the Pos(+) terminal, the Starter lug will work just fine (goes directly to the battery +) and may be easier to get at. I've done this many times. Saves time removing the seat.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:46 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 538 Likes on 395 Posts

It is difficult, relatively. For the negative I use the end of the negative cable, that is attached to the battery, where it attaches to the frame.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: bump starting a dead EFI?