Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building a 7 pin Intercom Headset

Old 03-23-2010, 12:57 PM
RenegadeCJ
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a 7 pin Intercom Headset

Has anyone gone through the process of building a 7 pin headset for the ultra? I have seen some after market products using pc gamer headsets and a 7 pin adapter. Just looking for some schematics.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:02 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Not sure if this will help but may give you some ideas.

http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=135376

Old 03-23-2010, 02:16 PM
RenegadeCJ
Tourer

Thanks.... this looks like it has some possibilities

Old 03-23-2010, 07:11 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

You bet, I just use the adaptor that I bought from aerostich to listen to the radio, cd.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:13 AM
lorenc
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you want to listen only or do you want the mic pinouts? I'll have to look tonite if you want anything different than the above post but I have them.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:36 AM
dtgiese
Intermediate

Here you go, this shows the wiring that I use to make an adapter. I use two 1/8 stereo jacks so you do not have to cut off the ends of the headset. Starting at the one o'clock position of the solder side of the 7 pin plug the wiring is, 1 not used, 2 mic neg, 3 mic pos, 4 headphone common, 5 left headphone pos, 6 right headphone pos, 7 not used.

Then I put it into a plastic case like this

Hope this helps

Last edited by dtgiese; 03-24-2010 at 08:56 AM. Reason: added picture
Old 03-24-2010, 12:35 PM
tlmitchell
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RenegadeCJ
Has anyone gone through the process of building a 7 pin headset for the ultra? I have seen some after market products using pc gamer headsets and a 7 pin adapter. Just looking for some schematics.
Anumber of years ago I bought a 7-pin-to-3mm ear bud adapter from this guy, He has a lot of stuff for scoots:

http://www.cellset.com/Motorcycleitems.html

TL

Old 03-24-2010, 01:01 PM
kyote
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dtgiese
[

Here you go, this shows the wiring that I use to make an adapter. I use two 1/8 stereo jacks so you do not have to cut off the ends of the headset. Starting at the one o'clock position of the solder side of the 7 pin plug the wiring is, 1 not used, 2 mic neg, 3 mic pos, 4 headphone common, 5 left headphone pos, 6 right headphone pos, 7 not used.

Hope this helps
hey....Where didja get that headset from?? ( dont mean to hijack this.. PM if ya want..)

Old 03-24-2010, 01:19 PM
dtgiese
Intermediate

It's a .Audio 480 from Plantronics. Newegg.com sell them for around $10 usually with free shipping

Old 06-21-2010, 07:07 AM
Hog Yild
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dtgiese

Then I put it into a plastic case like this

Hope this helps
dtgiese,

I think I may have purchased a couple of these adapters off you on ebay?

I just want to say this all works! I've got $35 in each headset, not counting shipping.

The .Audio 480 headset is light weight. The first thing my wife liked, was not having the Harley heavy cord pulling her helmet down on the left side. We used to wear ear plugs, but the ear buds have an added benefit of reducing road noise. The audio sound is much better. The microphone works, just buy a Radioshack windsock to put on it. I was worried about the boom keeping the microphone close to my mouth and blowing away, but if you use a half helmet like we do, the helmet strap stabilizes it. Currently I have the VOX set just past the halfway mark, and this seems to work at highway speeds with the windsock, and with a tall HD windshield.

Last edited by Hog Yild; 06-21-2010 at 07:11 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Building a 7 pin Intercom Headset