Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring Tire Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 10:21 PM
boomer
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my front tire was replaced this winter. had over 5000 on it. along with the fuel tank
mount. no charge for the tire although it took quite a few talks with the dealer.
had it in for slow speed wobble bunch of times. will see if the new tire fix's it.
still alot of snow on ground up hear. maybe a week or two.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:36 AM
ARTHUNDER09
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cdestuck
Didnt get the letter either. But had taken mine in early, after the problem came to light but before the guidence letter came out. And lucky on that, had over 19000 miles on the tire, but they did get MOCO to cover it. BTW, the rear tire lasted to 19000 also. Talked to a guy that got 25000 on the rear b/f he had to change it.

Was there any tread left at all ? 25,000 geez.....No way I would let mine go that long. No fender bender on a scoot. Id rather be safe than sorry! My 2Cents

Old 04-04-2010, 08:22 AM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Spent 5 hours at the dealership Saturday while they checked my front tire over. I told them there was a service bulletin out on the D407 front tire and I noticed a distinct whine and vibration at around 50 mph that didn't vary with engine speed. The service writer told me she would have to "look it up" to see if there really was a bulletin. After making me wait five hours, they concluded that it was caused by normal wear, and they could not find any service bulletins for the tire. Charged me $39.87 to take my bike for a spin around the block and performed no actual service. They were quite surprised when I pulled a copy of the service bulletin out of my pocket and reviewed it with them. "Where are you guys getting these things?!" asked the service writer. My response ... "They are all over the Internet, all you have to do is search for them". The service manager is supposed to call me later after he looks over the bulletin. Apparently I am the very first person that has complained about this tire to the dealership. Go figure. I noticed while wandering around the showroom that most of the used 2009 touring bikes for sale still had the d407's with the old tread pattern. You would think they would swap those out before reselling them.

Last edited by RoadHog659; 04-04-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:19 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

The service bulletin issued on Nov 4, 2009 was for D407F front tires. These tires were put on 2009 Touring bikes up until around December 2008, at which time they switched over to a new tire D408F on all new touring bikes.
The service bulletin was not issued because of any safety related issues, according to the MOCO. If a customer complained of noise, vibration and unusual wear on the D407F front tire, the dealer was authorized to replace the tire with a new D408F tire at no cost to the customer. This new tire has a reversed tread pattern from the original D407F.
If you had your dealer replace the tire on your own before Nov 4, 2009 you could submit the paperwork for that bill and they would issue you a credit at the dealer that changed the tire.
If you bought a new tire from the dealer and changed it yourself, you were hosed. You get nothing.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:41 AM
subdoc1
Intermediate
Default Replacement 407 tire

Had the wobble and noise at about 2000 miles after purchasing. The dealership said everything was good to go. 3 months later I read the Nov letter from Dunlop. Will give Adamec HD this they took her in with 10000 miles on her and replaced my front tire for free.

With that note I went and replaced the rear also to make sure I was riding on even rubber.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:54 AM
davep
Cruiser

Front Tire replaced last all with 12500 miles on it free of charge. No problem at all at the dealer.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:59 AM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop
The service bulletin issued on Nov 4, 2009 was for D407F front tires. These tires were put on 2009 Touring bikes up until around December 2008, at which time they switched over to a new tire D408F on all new touring bikes.
The service bulletin was not issued because of any safety related issues, according to the MOCO. If a customer complained of noise, vibration and unusual wear on the D407F front tire, the dealer was authorized to replace the tire with a new D408F tire at no cost to the customer.
Yeah, that's what I don't get. It's not going to cost them anything to put a new tire on, so why not just do it? I asked if there were any recalls or other "fixes" that had not been completed before I purchased my 2009 Ultra. They had already done the gas tank fix but I didn't know about the tire issue until after I purchased the bike. They acted like I was off my rocker for inquiring about replacing the tire....Oh well, I guess I'll just wait to see what the service manager has to say.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:08 PM
Clutch13
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bman7163

They also never checked for any date code that I noticed. But did mention that it might have not been possible to replace after 10,000 miles on it.
Had mine replaced at 13,000 with no problems, it states in the service bulletin something about there being more than 3/32nds worth of tread. Although the cupping was bad, there was still plenty of tread left.

Originally Posted by Rick Lee
Rotors were warped. When I used front brake at veryslow speed felt a jerking.
Is there a service bulletin about this? I have the same issue.

Originally Posted by ARTHUNDER09
Was there any tread left at all ? 25,000 geez.....No way I would let mine go that long. No fender bender on a scoot. Id rather be safe than sorry! My 2Cents
What does it matter the mileage so long as there's tread left? I'm at 20k miles and still have over 2/32nds worth of tread on a 1 year old tire. Why replace it?

Old 04-04-2010, 01:21 PM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jgsmithjr
Just had my front D407 tire replaced two weeks ago at no charge. I had 8400 miles on the tire and the vibration over the last several months was getting more and more noticable. So when I took it in for the tank recall I talked to them about the vibration. Several techs rode the bike checking out the vibration issue before they agreed to change the tire for free.
Same here, I had a low speed wobble and the replacement front tire cured it. No grief from the dealer at all. I have another problem I can't get them to address, but the tire thing was no problem for them.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:36 PM
rkingw
Cruiser

I received the front tire letter in Nov. of '09 from Deeley Canada. I'll get it checked when I take it in for the tank mount.

Quick Reply: Touring Tire Issues