Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loctite Threadlocker Blue or red on Pully and rotor bolts

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 07:46 AM
tdog206
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loctite Threadlocker Blue or red on Pully and rotor bolts

Hello everybody. I'm new to this forum and was looking for information on loctite Threadlocker. I know the the different strength values associated with each one. (BLUE - MEDIUM) (RED - High Strength) (Green- its not coming off). I have a 2006 Streetglide that I just blacked out. I powder coated all chrome including rims, inside rotors, pulley and all bold heads. I just started putting it all back together, (It looks mean). I spoke to several people including two motorcycle Techs about which threadlocker to apply to the bolts. I asked if I should use BLUE or RED and I was told. " I don't like anything that says permanent hold, use the blue." Also, if you have to take it apart again in the future you don't have to heat the bolts and possibly damage the powder coated parts in the process. I also read on forums that most guys use blue on everything. I assembled using the Blue Compound. The shop manual states use red loctite. When I removed all the bolts it was definitely red on the threads and almost snapped a bolt in the hub even with heat. My question is, will the blue be alright or will it back out of the rotors or pulley which could cause a crash. Oh Yeah, another buddy of mine uses nothing but never seize on all his bolts including wheels, rotors and pulley, because he takes the thing apart so often. Not that I wasn't undecided enough already. Should I back out the bolts and apply the red? The rim and tire is already mounted on bike. Not sure if I have to pull the axle again to apply the red and torque the bolts or I can do it on the bike. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by tdog206; 03-26-2010 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:57 AM
imrotton2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

red is sugested on them,,, normally thats somthn that isnt removed very often.. if they back out goin down the hwy., look out

Old 03-26-2010, 10:20 AM
SSN711
Cruiser

Loctite 243 Blue Threadlocker is a general-purpose, medium strength threadlocker with improved oil tolerance. For fasteners between 1/4" and 3/4" (6mm to 20mm). Parts can be separated using hand tools. Suggested applications: Rocker studs, rocker adjustment bolts and bolts on valve and cam covers, oil pans, disc brake calipers, intakes and alternators, and pulley assemblies

Loctite 271 Red is a high-strength threadlocker for heavy-duty applications. Especially wel-suited for permanentlylocking studs and press fits. adds 3000 psi holding poweron slip and press fit assemblies. Replaces set screws and snap rings. Locks against vibration loosening. Removable with heat and hand tools. For fasteners up to 1" (25mm) in size. Suggested applications: Frame brackets, suspension fasteners, shock absorber mounts, wheel studs.

Four places I use the red. Compensator bolt, Clutch hub nut, rotor bolts and the rear pulley bolts. However, I have used blue when I didn't have red and never had a problem with just the blue...just saying...the correct torque is the key I think and just some kind of thead locking compound.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:37 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

11,000 miles or so ago I replaced my rotors and pulley on the Night Train. I used the blue and have had no issues.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:56 AM
My Fix
Cruiser

Just use the blue it works just fine . Make sure of proper torque ! And I would only use red on compensators , ect ! You DO NOT want to put RED on somthing like hubs rotors ect , because if you need to remove it later you will need heat ! And if you do not use heat you will take a chance on pulling threads out ! NEVER put heat on aluminun ! Only time I would use never sieze is on the axle , and really not even thin . Grease is fine . Anti - sieze or never-sieze is used to keep from gauling the threads like stainless steel and such . Also used for nuts and bolts with alot of heat things like that !I have work with these prducts over 35 years , unless you ride your bike on the beach in salt water , your not gonna need anti-sieze ! Besides if you r trying to keep your bolts from coming out you sure don't need anti-sieze ! Never sieze will also let you over torque your assemly nuts and bolts if your not careful ! Just my 2 cents , by the way I use one of the three LOCTITE products nearly everyday . . . . . . . .

Last edited by My Fix; 03-26-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:20 AM
tdog206
6th Gear

Thanks for all the helpful information. Since its already all assembled I think I'll leave the Blue threadlocker and re-check the torque specs periodically. Thanks again. It is much appreciated.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:28 AM
mtairy biker
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I used RED when I did mine

Old 03-27-2010, 06:46 AM
ripper43
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you buy the HD chrome bolt kit for your rotors it says to use the blue LT in the Instructions so that is what I did, and I have not had a problem yet. I am not a big fan of using Red LT on any aluminum parts because I have had threads come out with the bolts and that is never good.

Maybe Dawg will chime in and give us a down load on the instruction sheet. I am pretty sure I am right because I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken. LOL!!!!

Last edited by ripper43; 03-27-2010 at 06:53 AM.