Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

******J&M Amp Install Just Completed on Al's 2009 Street Glide...Pics Here******

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 01:25 PM
StanfordMan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Shawn:
I have the day off today, and I can bring my bike over for you to install the amp, if you have one available. I left you a voicemail message at your shop. Let me know.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:34 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by StanfordMan
Hey Shawn:
I have the day off today, and I can bring my bike over for you to install the amp, if you have one available. I left you a voicemail message at your shop. Let me know.
It was great speaking to you just now. I will let you know when we have more amps in stock.

Thanks!

Shawn

Old 04-02-2010, 02:30 PM
scj
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by JCleary
I've got a question...

Last summer at Street Vibrations I was all ready to buy a set of J&M speakers for my Street Glide. I went up to the booth and plugged my iPod into the stock HK deck they were demoing on an Ultra.

I ended up walking away empty-handed. The CD player sounded awesome. The radio sounded good. But when the source was switched to my iPod, the whole thing fell flat. It sounded no better than stock. It did not matter whether it was purchased music, music ripped from my own CD's, or "donated" music files from friends. I blame it on the processing in the deck.

Does this amp make up for this deficiency at all?
I know iPods are cool and easy to transfer all your music from place to place but I can load over 150 songs onto one disk in MP3 format that plays very well on my factory head unit.
I guess it's all what you're used to doing.

To have superior sounding audio over iPod compatibility is a no brainer for me.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:35 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scj
I know iPods are cool and easy to transfer all your music from place to place but I can load over 150 songs onto one disk in MP3 format that plays very well on my factory head unit.
I guess it's all what you're used to doing.

To have superior sounding audio over iPod compatibility is a no brainer for me.

It's QUITE easy to have both !!! My IPOD holds 150 hours of music videos,.........for those L-O-N-G road trips !!

Old 04-02-2010, 04:15 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

For everyone that was wondering about the relocation of XM and CB radio units, you just take that extra bracket from the second picture we first posted and mount the cb and xm onto that then it hangs underneath the radio like this.

AL

Old 04-02-2010, 06:21 PM
jgreg65
Road Master
Received 188 Likes on 31 Posts

Outstanding!! That will be my next big mod

Old 04-02-2010, 07:14 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I understand I can do this and I can do that to not use my iPod. But I like my iPod. And my buddy's iPod sounds fine with his stereo not using J&M components. I want an easy plug and play system that sounds good. So...

Hey Al, Dr. V-Twin-

I'll direct this question at you since you have this sitting in your shop and can tell me...

Last summer at Street Vibrations I was all ready to buy a set of J&M speakers for my Street Glide. I went up to the booth and plugged my iPod into the stock HK deck they were demoing on an Ultra.

I ended up walking away empty-handed. The CD player sounded awesome. The radio sounded good. But when the source was switched to my iPod, the whole thing fell flat. It sounded no better than stock. It did not matter whether it was purchased music, music ripped from my own CD's, or "donated" music files from friends. I blame it on the processing in the deck.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:55 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JCleary
Hey Al, Dr. V-Twin-

I'll direct this question at you since you have this sitting in your shop and can tell me...

Hey man, I've never really experienced that before.. I use my iPhone on my bike as an iPod all the time and all my music has been sounding fine..

However,

There are a few factors to keep in mind, MP3 files in general are low resolution resamples of the original source. Of course this is ideal because low resolution equals smaller file sizes which means you can fit more of them onto your mp3 player. I see you say you're not only talking of downloaded mp3s but also RIPPED cds.

Here's one tip I can give you to try out (sorry if you've already done this) is next time you rip a CD into iTUNES go into your PREFERENCES and click on IMPORT SETTINGS, make sure you've selected the MP3 ENCODER and go ahead and click on the SETTINGS TABS then select CUSTOM and raise the bit rate up to 256 or 320, you can even experiment with the VBR setting. Rip a cd like that and listen to the difference in quality, they will be bigger files which is a down side if you're trying to conserve space on your ipod but you will have better sounding music!

Also, your ipod has a built in EQ, you could increase the MID range frequencies which are ideal for riding. I use the LOUDNESS pre-set if you can not manually set it.

If you want to talk more, please shoot me a PM or you can call me at the shop monday!

Hope I helped!

AL

Old 04-03-2010, 12:28 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

JCleary ,,,,

please take no offense, but if that happened last year in Reno at the J&M display ,,,, then the problem is either the songs you had loaded on your i-pod ,,, OR ,,, our guys did not set things up right for you on the J&M display ,,,,

to properly connect your i-pod into the aux input on the Harley HK radio ,,, plug it into the aux jack of course and select AUX on the HK radio, then rotate your i-pod volume to MINIMUM, then adjust your Harley radio volume to maximum, THEN WHILE MUSIC IS PLAYING FROM THE I-POD, rotate the i-pod volume up to a point of maximum BEFORE distortion,,,,,

then leave your i-pod alone, lock it if necessary and make all further volume adjustments from the handlebar volume controls ,,,, also turn OFF the AVC on the HK radio, so that speed does not drive the whole thing into distortion ,,,,

Old 04-03-2010, 12:49 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Forum members ,,,,,

I have never made it a secret as to how the new J&M Amplifier was configured/designed,,,, nor where it is made ,,,,,

as I have been saying for months, the ARC AUDIO mini 125 is the best audio amplifier we have found, in a size range that will fit into the Harley fairing ,,,,,

thus the new J&M labeled amp is VERY similar to the ARC amp, but also includes the J&M plug-n-play wiring harnesses and custom designed mounting bracketry etc ,,,,, if all of the extras do not make the J&M version of this amp worth the $$$ to you, then buy the ARC amp anywhere and fabricate the mounting/wiring on your own, simple as that ,,,,

I happen to believe that the J&M amp kit provides good VALUE with all that is included ,,,

also ,,,,, the J&M amp has all the same gain/bass boost/crossover controls/adjustments under the label, for those who might not agree with the J&M factory settings ,,,,,

just remember, driving the input gain levels into distortion by turning them up too far, will not improve the sound at all ,,,, only make it sound "ratty",,,, I personally put a bit of time into setting the amp controls for MAXIMUM volume, while still retaining good clean sound ,,,,,

Happy Easter to all ,,,,

Quick Reply: ******J&M Amp Install Just Completed on Al's 2009 Street Glide...Pics Here******