Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Protecting the inner fairing paint on Batwing.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 12:06 AM
Scubamike
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Protecting the inner fairing paint on Batwing.

I was just wondering for the guys that have a painted inner fairing on a batwing how are you protecting the paint from the windshield bag rubbing it. I just dropped off my 09 SG inner fairing for paint vivid black and am currently running a T-bag windshield bag which I love the function of the bag but do not want to damage the new paint on the fairing as it currently has rubbed a little bit on the non painted faring. Any suggestions would be appreciated, are the HD three bag pouches less likely to rub and cause damage? Again thanks for the input.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:54 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

Same thing was happening to mine. I pulled the T-Bag pouch and laid down a strip of adhesive felt between the pouch and the fairing.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:11 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I am getting ready to add the T-Bag pouches, I was thinking anbout putting a piece of the paint protector film that they use on the rear fender, cut to fit, on the fairing. Its removable, and will protect the paint from the bag rubbing.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:09 PM
Fewe
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't offer any suggestions as far a protecting the paint but I can tell you that I wish I had known about the rubbing issue when I installed my inner fairing. When protecting it with whatever you come up with make sure to not only protect the area above the main gauges but also the area of the fairing where the outer portion of the support plate for the three bag pouch contacts the fairing. I recently removed my three bag pouch when installing my new windshield and found four different locations of rubbing. The HD leather dash pad or the Hog Tunes tweeter pod would cover the two spots above the speedo and tach but will still leave the outer two rubs visible. The two inner rubs are by far the worst and I think I can do a decent job of touching up the outer rubs as they haven't worked through the paint but only through the clear. Bottom line... windshield bags are convenient but EVIL!!!