Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blue smoke out exhaust on deaccelaration

Old 04-03-2010, 04:27 PM
NYR99JF2010
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blue smoke out exhaust on deaccelaration

Hey all, I have a 2010 Street Glide with Bubb7 True Duals, was out riding today with some friends and they noticed some blue smoke coming out one of the exhaust pipes but only on deacclearation and not all the time. The bike just hit 600 miles-is this normal for a new bike? I read online that it is normal and probably just the rings havent seated properly yet, but just figured I would check with you guys on here and see if you guys have heard of this. Thanks for the help.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:37 PM
bfrank
Tourer

Not everyone agrees but there are some that suggest a specific break-in procedure for your new motor. Are you working to seat those rings? The first thing that I think if is that you are getting oil around the rings and that is causing the blue smoke.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:24 PM
VETERAN75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you luggin the engine while riding. These 96's like to be run in the 2500 range. Cruising at 2000 not too good for them. I know mine has a sweet spot close to 2700 so I try to keep it there when cruising.

Maybe one of the more experienced members will help you out soon.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:54 PM
NYR99JF2010
Intermediate

Funny thing is, when I bought it I asked if there was a breakin procedure and they told me just ride it LOL. How do your seat the rings? Whats the procedure for that?
Come to thing of it, I may have been "luggin" the engine here and there, could that be causing the problem? Like I said they said it wasnt all the time so I'm just wondering if this is something I should be worried about or will this problem go away once the rings are seated properly if thats the problem. Unfortunately, my dealer was one of three that Harley closed in my area-unreal whats going on here-they are limiting everyone in my area to one dealership for service, but I have heard nightmares about the service in that dealership so I am considering a 45min ride for service instead of a 15min ride LOL. Anyway, hope you guys could help me out with those other questions I had LOL. Thanks again for your help and Happy Easter!!

Old 04-03-2010, 10:13 PM
Glyder
Road Captain

Brand new bike...IMO.....keep on ridin it. Youre covered under warranty....if it gets worse or blows...they'll fix it. Put some milage on it and see if it clears up or gets worse. If you aint happy and dont want to wait/ride it out just take it to the dealer and tell em the scoop...its they're problem to fix if there is one. Blue smoke is oil though. My buddies 09 Ultra blew on the way to Gettysburg last summer..oil pump took a crap they said..little over a 1,000 on the thing. Took almost a month to get it back but they did give him a loaner.

Last edited by Glyder; 04-03-2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:21 PM
NYR99JF2010
Intermediate

yeah, the season is just starting here in NY, the last thing i want is this thing tied up at the dealer being fixed, but I am also heading to laconia in June and dont want this thing to blow up on me on the way up there. I was thinking of riding it till its due for the 1000 mile service, see what happens from now till then and mention it to them while its there see if they can see whats up with it then.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:36 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Use the search function and type in engine break in. You can read for hours.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:35 PM
paguy
Road Captain

As long as you don't go ***** to the wall or let a new engine choke by constant idle your rings should be ok. You got a power comander. Who set it up? Best bet to break the engine in is in as many different riding conditions as possible. If smoke continues at 1000 mi. check look at the power commander settings.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:42 PM
NYR99JF2010
Intermediate

I searched and that only confused me more LOL, some say do a break in and some say that the motor is broke in at the factory, just ride it. Here is my question, if the rings arent seated properly with 600 miles on the bike, can they still be seated properly?
I havent seen the blue smoke myself, but 2 of my friends noticed it--it doesnt smoke at idle or while driving as far as i can see--they said they noticed it on deaccelaration when there is back pressure, but not all the time. I guess my main concern is if this is something i should be worried about or something that can go away?

Old 04-04-2010, 01:03 AM
NYR99JF2010
Intermediate

I do have a power commander, had my local shop do the exhaust and power commander. I thought maybe it was running to rich but he was closed by the time I got back from my ride today, guess I can ask him what he thinks on Monday or Tuesday when I see him. I guess I will give it to 1000miles and see what happens till then. I will take it easy on the bike till then, try not to really get on it too much. Thanks again for the help and advice guys.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blue smoke out exhaust on deaccelaration