Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Custom Upgrades...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 10:24 AM
gafirefighter
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road King Custom Upgrades...

First I would like to say hello to everyone here. I have been lurking around this site for a while and have just recently taken the time to join. This seems to me to be a great forum with some great opions and people.

So this is where I am at. A little while back I purchased an 05 Road King Custom with a little less than 15K on it. The bike is in near perfect condition and the previous owner invested a considereable amount of time and money into it. The bike is white pearl and just about everything is chromed. It has Rhinehart true duals and a SE AC. So far all I have changed out is the front tire and the bars. I have put around 1500 miles on it and both my wife and myself could not be happier with the bike overall.

That being said, there are obviously some things that I would like to do to make it my own. I know that I would like to get a set of hard lockable bags. The leather hard bags are nice but they really do not fit my style. I would also like to get the leather tour pack to replace the rear rest bag I have, but that will be a little later down the road.

I almost traded this in the other day on a new one but I am quite happy that I do not owe all that much and do not want a bigger 5 year payment right now. So that leaves me thinking that I may want to do some upgrades to the engine. I am thinking a 95 kit with some nice cams and heads but I am not sure yet. There are so many options and it seems that my bank account is the only limiting factor.

I just wanted to see what the masses might find to be worthy upgrades. Or if you know of anything I need to keep up with. Sorry for the long winded post, but I look forward to reading your responses.

Thanks, and ride safe,

Adam

Old 04-04-2010, 10:42 AM
eglinski
Tourer

Welcome!!! and Its nice to have another member with a 05 FLHRSI....
I really like mine, I would rather upgrade (95c.i. cams, ect.) than trade for new$$
but that is just me, I have added a detachable fairing w/stereo.. very useful
Do you find that the chrome duckbill on the headlight directs the wind, right into your face?

Attached Thumbnails Road King Custom Upgrades...-behind-with-fairing.jpg  
Old 04-04-2010, 10:54 AM
gafirefighter
Intermediate

The duckbill does seem to add some extra wind. I have both a tall and short windshield and the tall one sure does help. I too love the bike and I am sure I will be dumping some money into it.

Adam

Old 04-04-2010, 11:06 AM
pachowder
Cruiser

Welcome to the 2005 Road King Custom club I have one also, the FLHRS, not the FLHRSI, that I bought with around 15k on it also...Black pearl. I bought mine with the 103 already worked on it but it was not done properly. Had Hillside and JDs get it right now I love it. I pick it up tomorrow after some new lifters and a bunch of motor area powdercoating black.

I definitely recommend a new seat and a detachable windshield just to make those long rides more comfortable. As far as performance, I worked with the builders mentioned above as I am no expert and I am VERY happy.

Enjoy and lets see some pics when you get it just right! I will post some this week of mine

Old 04-04-2010, 02:46 PM
g.w.
Advanced
Cool

I have a 06 vivid black chubby 518 bars, mustang solo,diamond back braided lines,rinehart trueduals,and 95kit from dealer and i would never trade my custom oh and 20k miles

Old 04-04-2010, 03:53 PM
gafirefighter
Intermediate

The first thing that I really need to change out is the seat. I have been looking at the Mustang seats and they seem to be well made. Does anyone know if there is a seat out there, for two up, that would be comfortable and also maintain some of the sport look? I also may need to change out the back pad for the wife. She says the medium height sissy bar hits her a little low.

Now I just need to get a service manual for everything else.

Adam

Old 04-04-2010, 04:48 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,183 Likes on 2,453 Posts

if you are gonna run a windshield, get rid of the chrome flyscreen. you'll need a new riser cover, and the spear. usually can find them on ebay. if not, it isn't real expensive anyway.

i would rethink getting a leather tourpak if you're gonna get the hard bags. plus the regular tourpak holds more than the leather one.

congrats, its a great bike. i loved mine right up until i traded it on a 2010 road glide.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:49 PM
pachowder
Cruiser

just a thought, i picked up a set of police hard bags in perfect condition for real cheap, just need to get them painted. If you dont mind the big button on the top and the way they open outward (which I like), then its a cheaper option than new bags

Old 04-04-2010, 06:12 PM
eglinski
Tourer

Originally Posted by gafirefighter
The first thing that I really need to change out is the seat. I have been looking at the Mustang seats and they seem to be well made. Does anyone know if there is a seat out there, for two up, that would be comfortable and also maintain some of the sport look? I also may need to change out the back pad for the wife. She says the medium height sissy bar hits her a little low.

Now I just need to get a service manual for everything else.

Adam
I have know douht, when I can afford it C&C seats....... Squareback...backrest,leather,gel and saddlebag covers... that is just my taste,
Let me know if you want to sell the stock bags, I like them.... alot of people don't

Old 04-04-2010, 06:16 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

I have a Corbin Classic Solo and a separate Passenger pillion that seem to work well and look good. I like the look of the chrome "duckbill" and I don't think it adds to any wind problem. I have a detachable shield ( 17" Clearview recurve). Mine is an 07 with Stage 1, SEAC, and SE slipons that all seem to make the 96" six speed run like a champ. Might consider going to the 103" in the future but for now I am happy. Love the FLHRS.

Quick Reply: Road King Custom Upgrades...