Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think my crank is bent.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 11:35 AM
MDodson
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think my crank is bent.

I have a 07 FLHTC with 60,000 miles on it. I had to replace the engine oil seal on the crank a couple weeks ago. The splines where not straight after ther rotor. They had like a rifling on them. Is there a chance I could straightin them without removing the engine from the bike? Or which and where can I get a crank on the cheap. I have added this video of the starter spinning the engine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RkbobfXfx0

Last edited by MDodson; 04-04-2010 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Indianspringsaz
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you get a few pictures of it?

Old 04-03-2010, 01:24 PM
timberland
Road Master
Location: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They are virtually all "bent" from the factory.....although HD uses the term "run out" I would check the run out with a dial indicator before you jump off the cash for a crank that may be just like the one you have. The HD manual has what is acceptable for run out. You will find a lot of guys here that have checked run out when changing cam shafts....the numbers are all over the place....good and bad. Lets say quality control is NOT HD's strong suit.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:44 PM
texas_speed_freak
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by timberland
They are virtually all "bent" from the factory.....although HD uses the term "run out" I would check the run out with a dial indicator before you jump off the cash for a crank that may be just like the one you have. The HD manual has what is acceptable for run out. You will find a lot of guys here that have checked run out when changing cam shafts....the numbers are all over the place....good and bad. Lets say quality control is NOT HD's strong suit.
+1

Old 04-03-2010, 02:11 PM
MDodson
Road Master

I will get a couple pictures of it when I pull the compensator off. The bend is on the primary side. I have the outer primary off where it will still crank . When I am starting it has a wooble of about 1/8 at the engine gear.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:10 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by MDodson
I will get a couple pictures of it when I pull the compensator off. The bend is on the primary side. I have the outer primary off where it will still crank . When I am starting it has a wooble of about 1/8 at the engine gear.
If you're saying you have 1/8 of an INCH runout...you're gonna be needing a new crank.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:23 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MDodson
WTF? I don't see how that thing was still running. When cranks get tweaked the first thing to go is normally the oil pump. And that leads to finding the crank bent. Pictures would be great. The best thing to do would be to find a used crank and send it out to be trued and welded. They may be able to rework yours.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:09 PM
MDodson
Road Master

The runout may not be an 1/8 I will know more when I get a dial gauge. It is bent on the side that the primary is on. Where do you send a crank to get worked on to?

Old 04-03-2010, 04:14 PM
Kumite
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't Bill Clinton have a bent crank???

Old 04-03-2010, 04:37 PM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, but he yanked it straight.

Pull your plugs and ground the wires, pull the injector fuse.....then crank engine while you look closely at the comp nut to see if it too is out of round when it spins.

Quick Reply: I think my crank is bent.