Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gasoline smell from rear head?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 06:35 PM
fladawg01
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gasoline smell from rear head?

Have noticed the past few times riding that my garage smells like gas after parking the 06 Ultra. Today I smelled it and stuck my nose down around the exhaust area where the pipes meet the head on the rear cylinder. This is where the smell is coming from. I cannot see any wetness or feel any areas where it might be leaking.

Any ideas? Could a loose exhaust allow this smell? The bike is fuel injected. No smell from the front or around the air filter area, just at the rear cylinder/exhaust.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:13 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had this problem with my last two bikes and could never get a straight answer.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:30 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you notice this after you top off your tank or all the time? Might be from that drainage tube. I doubt you would smell gasoline from the head but I could be wrong. Are you sure you are not smelling something from the air cleaner?

Old 04-06-2010, 07:47 PM
tdd77
Advanced

My 05 rk does the same thing,guess I have'nt noticed if it matter's if the tank is full or not,but I have narrowed the source of the smell down to the vent tube that come's out of the top of the tank and goes back to the frame behind the rear cylinder.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:47 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior

The oder seems to be the strongest right under the front of the seat by the rear head regardless of how much gas is in the tank.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:26 PM
tdd77
Advanced

Originally Posted by NoCoLoco
The oder seems to be the strongest right under the front of the seat by the rear head regardless of how much gas is in the tank.
That is the area where the vent tube exit's in the battery location area,this kind of put's my mind at ease knowing i'm not the only one.Maybe it has something to do with heat underneath the tank
from the engine pushing fume's out of the vent tube,cause mine only does it after i've been riding.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:51 PM
fladawg01
Tourer
Default Gas Smell

What I am curious as to is I had an Indy put on a progressive rear stabilizer over the winter in February. He told me he had to remove the rear exhaust due to getting at the space where the stabilizer bolts to, I've confirmed this with several bike mechanics form my year Ultra, that yes the exhaust on the rear cylinder needs to be removed or loosened quite a bit to attain this.

This is why I think it might be exhaust related. I'm also getting some decelleration pop I never had before as well.

As far as the amount of fuel, it was at 3/4 of a tank. I'll remove the seat tomorrow and check the overflow hose as some had mentioned. Just seems starnge I never noticed it until the last month or so.

Thanks for the responses.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:20 PM
ScreamineagleSERG
Advanced
Default Same thing!

My 09 SERG does the same damn thing and I can't figure it out. The hot engine heating the tank must have something to do with it. Be good to get a fix...the garage reeks of gas after a ride.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:25 PM
Devo6684
Road Captain

I've noticed this as well. Not very often, but the garage does smell like gas.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:42 AM
Grillfish
Road Captain

My guess... very hot engine, gas tank on top of heat, gas vapors expand and you smell gas. Mine does the same. I leave the garage door opened a little until the bike cools down some and the smell goes away.

Quick Reply: Gasoline smell from rear head?