Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise control runaway

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 07:29 AM
Proudtexan
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise control runaway

Good morning,

I have an 05 Ultra and while riding home from work, used the accel on the cruise to bump up the speed from 60-65. When I released the accel switch the cruise continued to accelerate. I kicked it off before 75, but now the cruise will not engage. When I start the bike, the green cruise light illuminates and then turns off, this occurs while the master cruise switch is off. I have a date at the shop for this coming Thursday, 3 Jun, but if yall know a fix I could save some $$. Best bet to let them have it and check it over?

Thanks

Old 05-31-2010, 07:37 AM
racerdj
Club Member

This sounds like a problem that I would have the experts fix!....and soon!

Old 05-31-2010, 09:43 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Here's a thread explaining how to pull Diagnostic Trouble Codes for your cruise control:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...and-codes.html

Old 05-31-2010, 10:11 AM
Proudtexan
Novice

Great, thanks. Many of those readings don't say why this would happen, or what to do with it after I get the code. Are the failure codes in the service manual?

Old 05-31-2010, 10:40 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

The codes and what to do about them are in HD's Electrical Diagnostic Manual (EDM). There's an EDM for each model year.

Did you pull any DTC's?

I'm not a tech, but I'd suspect the set/res switch is faulty causing the bike to continue to accelerate even though the switch was released.

Hope you find your solution.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:08 AM
Londonbike
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 08 did that while still under warranty. It was the thumb switch you use to engage and speed up or coast. Never acted up again after it was changed

Old 06-04-2010, 06:50 AM
Proudtexan
Novice
Default A fix???

Ok folks, I need your help understanding this. I had my 05 Ultra at the shop yesterday having this cruise control problem looked at, the shop called first thing and said they found the problem. They claimed the cruise wouldn't work because the brake module I had installed had shorted out, making the cruise think the brakes were on. Ok, that's fine, if that was the problem. I had a cruise control run away, setting the speed the cruise continued gaining speed after releasing the accel switch. "No, it was the brake control module that caused all of the problem". "Oh, by the way, that's not covered by your extended warranty, either". Even though I continued to ask how the cruise thinking the brakes were "on", the cruise was accelerating until I released it. I was continually given that the module was the cause. I feel I was totally ignored as to the problem, or the cause. Have any of yall ever heard of the HD brake control module causing something like this??? My extended warranty expires in 5 days, and I seriously feel I'm going to be stuck with a problem afterward. I honestly feel I was lied to about the "cause of the problem", just to pad the bill. I never saw any parts, new or old, the brake kit comes with two red replacement turn signal lenses, that I didn't see, yet paid for a replacement kit. <rant off>

Thanks

Old 06-04-2010, 07:54 AM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Are you referring to the Run/Turn/Brake converter as the "Brake Module" ?
I've never heard of this happening or that it would void your warranty.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:54 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Something doesn't sound right there. I can accept if the module was sending the signal that the brakes were on not letting the cruise engage but you are correct about the acceleration being unrelated. If I were a betting man I would say it's the switch.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:08 AM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by todd-67
Something doesn't sound right there. I can accept if the module was sending the signal that the brakes were on not letting the cruise engage but you are correct about the acceleration being unrelated. If I were a betting man I would say it's the switch.
That's what I am thinking. If it were the brake module, then the cruise shouldn't set at all. I would document everything and send a copy of it to the MOCO, in case they try to stick you with it later when it reappears after your warranty has expired. It can't hurt a thing by sending it in.

Quick Reply: Cruise control runaway