Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those that pull a trailer...how'd you run your harness?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 01:06 AM
MontyCop05
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Those that pull a trailer...how'd you run your harness?

I just picked up an Aluma trailer for a steal from a buddy of mine to pull behind the bike for extended trips. I already have the Rivco hidden hitch installed and got the wiring harness from open road outfitters. My only real quandary now is how to run the trailer wire harness from under the seat to the rear of the bike. I want it to be permanent, but not in the way. Also thinking of how to secure it hidden and out of the way when I'm not pulling a trailer (which will be 95% of the time). I have the saddle bag filler strips on the bike so I'm thinking maybe I can figure out a way secure and hide the harness behind them. Haut wondering how others have tacked this. (I'm NOT willing to drill/cut the filler strips to mount a permanent trailer outlet)

Old 03-25-2014, 01:21 AM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You may not like this idea, but it is what I did...

I removed the rear turn signals, and made a bracket to fit the mount, but long enough to re-mount the turn signals lower than the spreader bar. This was so I could cut the wires to the signal lights, and place a connector between. That way I could easily remove the turn signals from the bike, and mount them on the back of my trailer.

I also had a run/stop/turn module on the bike, so when I installed the signal lights on the trailer, I had fully operating run/stop/turn lights on the trailer.

I guess I should also note, after about a year, I had a bulb burn out on the turn signal once while pulling the trailer. I'm guessing it must have somehow shorted out the run/stop/turn module, because it was toast after that. Or maybe, it could have been a short in the module which burned the bulb out. Not sure...

They do make a plug in harness for trailer lights. Check around, same places you got your hitch from...

Last edited by Def Mute; 03-25-2014 at 01:24 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:24 AM
MontyCop05
Road Master

Originally Posted by Def Mute
You may not like this idea, but it is what I did... I removed the rear turn signals, and made a bracket to fit the mount, but long enough to re-mount the turn signals lower than the spreader bar. This was so I could cut the wires to the signal lights, and place a connector between. That way I could easily remove the turn signals from the bike, and mount them on the back of my trailer. I also had a run/stop/turn module on the bike, so when I installed the signal lights on the trailer, I had fully operating run/stop/turn lights on the trailer. I guess I should also note, after about a year, I had a bulb burn out on the turn signal once while pulling the trailer. I'm guessing it must have somehow shorted out the run/stop/turn module, because it was toast after that...
Even of I did, I don't have a rear turn signal bar. 14' FLHTK. Rear signals are in the tourpak. I did add plasma rods so I can take the tourpak off and still have turn signals...

Old 03-25-2014, 01:26 AM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member

They do make a plug in harness for trailer lights. Check around, same places you got your hitch from...

Old 03-25-2014, 01:28 AM
MontyCop05
Road Master

Originally Posted by Def Mute
I have the harness, I'm asking how those that trailer, route the harness to the rear of the bike for connection to the trailer and how they tuck it away when not in use.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:31 AM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member

Ah, OK. I gotcha now...

Old 03-25-2014, 04:11 AM
Ultra Rider 07
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 290 Likes on 142 Posts

I have a Bushtec hitch and wire harness and fed mine down along the side of the hitch but behind the filler strips and tied it off with zip ties, then secured the plug to the bottom of the hitch just to the right of the receiver again with zip ties. It is visible but easy to use, and only takes about 5 minutes to completely remove when I am not using the trailer.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:36 AM
alame
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra Rider 07
I have a Bushtec hitch and wire harness and fed mine down along the side of the hitch but behind the filler strips and tied it off with zip ties, then secured the plug to the bottom of the hitch just to the right of the receiver again with zip ties. It is visible but easy to use, and only takes about 5 minutes to completely remove when I am not using the trailer.
yep......when I pulled a trailer with my 08 Ultra this is what did too

Old 03-25-2014, 07:49 AM
white83
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MontyCop05
I just picked up an Aluma trailer for a steal from a buddy of mine to pull behind the bike for extended trips. I already have the Rivco hidden hitch installed and got the wiring harness from open road outfitters. My only real quandary now is how to run the trailer wire harness from under the seat to the rear of the bike. I want it to be permanent, but not in the way. Also thinking of how to secure it hidden and out of the way when I'm not pulling a trailer (which will be 95% of the time). I have the saddle bag filler strips on the bike so I'm thinking maybe I can figure out a way secure and hide the harness behind them. Haut wondering how others have tacked this. (I'm NOT willing to drill/cut the filler strips to mount a permanent trailer outlet)
Just finished installing my harness a couple of weeks ago, I pulled the seat and the battery to gain access to the area behind the battery on tmy 14' Limited. From there I ran the wores along the right side of the fender behind the tour pack and wire tied it all up. I too am still trying to figure out the best location for the plug so for now it is just tucked in the rear support braket for the saddle bags. It is all up and out of the way so no worry about rubbing on anything. I can take a picture of the routing to show you what it looks like when I get home if you want to see it?

Old 03-26-2014, 07:40 AM
Concours
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ultra Rider 07
Same approach here .. there's enough of lip behind the "bumper" that when I don't have the trailer hooked up and the stinger removed, I simply tuck the end of the harness up on the lip. Stays put and out of sight until the next time I hook up a trailer.

Last edited by Concours; 03-26-2014 at 01:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Those that pull a trailer...how'd you run your harness?