Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LCD Oil Level Dipstick

Old 04-16-2010, 09:07 AM
Mbarz
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LCD Oil Level Dipstick

I have a 2009 Road King and a have question to anyone about a problem I just had with the new LCD Oil Level/Temp Dipstick. I purchased the dipstick at a local HD shop when I bought my bike. Been running with the dipstick in and no problems. Just had the 1000 mile check-up and after that started getting a high oil readout on the LCD dipstick. So I took it back to the dealer and they could not figure out why that was reading high oil. Even took some oil out. Well I did some research and found out that the dipstick does not match the original dipstick marks. The new LCD dipstick full mark when bike is hot and on the jiffystand is were the full mark on the original dipstick when bike is upright. Which means there is to much oil. I put the orignal dipstick back in and let more oil out and checked the dipstick to make sure it was correct. I recently put the LCD dipstick back in and is still reading high oil. The dealer did not know anything about this. Nothing on the instruction paper either. Anybody else have the same problem.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:05 AM
mongomark
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I bought mine in 2008 and it's a POS. Oil leaked past the internal oring and into the printed circuit and the display is obscured with oil. Pretty low quality for such an expensive piece.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:06 AM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I have not heard one good review of this item. Most of them break if they work at all. Dealer says that he doesn't recommend them unless your bike is a garage queen and never ridden in the real world. Not surprised by your problem. Sorry, I doubt this information helps you.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:08 AM
h_dmagic1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem with mine. Have been getting a lot of blow by. Removed some oil as well. Still reads high oil and still get blow by.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:10 AM
Sancho
Road Master

The book calls for 3.5 qts when changing oil on my '10 RGC. My LCD read high oil. I took out 1/4 qt then checked it again and it read ok. I compared it to my stock dipstick and they both read the same while the engine was cold on the jiffystand. I have an oil cooler so maybe 1/4 qt is being retained in the sump and cooler. Side by side I can't see any diffference between the 2 dipsticks on the measuring stick. Next time I change oil I'll put in 3 1/4 qts. I compared the LCD with a deep fryer themometer in boiling water and the LCD read 5 deg higher.

Last edited by Sancho; 04-16-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:56 AM
bob2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine was a POS too,kept eating batteries then constant error message. I wish someone would make a regular one that just screwed in like the dipstick.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:21 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts

My new FLHTC has one and it too said I had overfilled my oil with 3.5 quarts in it. Might go back to stock dipstick. I will have to buy one because I didn't get it with my new (slightly used) bike.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:24 PM
not2kool
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine developed condensation after about three weeks. Threw it away and went back to stock.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:03 PM
RockerMike
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine always reads High Oil also. I am also beginning to wonder about the temp. I just checked and the dip stick showed 239. I shot it with my Infrared Thermometer and that showed 209.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:15 PM
watercop
Cruiser

I have had an LCD dipstick on my 06 RKC for three years with no problems. Always read and accurate level and temp. However, it finally gave out about a week ago. Reads temp only and constant error message for level. No evidence of oil inside. I took it apart and let it dry out and changed the orings. (harley makes a kit for a couple of bucks to reseal it) Its a shame for such an expensive add on. When it works it works well, but certainly should last longer

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LCD Oil Level Dipstick