Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

premium tour-pak luggage rack install

Old 04-18-2010, 01:44 PM
skeazle
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default premium tour-pak luggage rack install

Hi all, I have an '08 Electra Glide Classic. My wife just got me the large luggage rack for the Tour- Pak but I didn't get it yet...had to be ordered. I was wondering if anyone has mounted it themselves with the template and if so how did the drilling go? Do you have to relocate the FM antenna? I'm half afraid to go drilling holes in the lid... one little slip of the bit and disaster. Any advice would be helpful. thanks, Jim

Old 04-18-2010, 01:54 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 138 Likes on 100 Posts

Use the template to get an idea where the rack goes, then put some blue painters tape at those four points. Set the rack on the tour pack and adjust position as required.Drill the first hole and temporarily bolt the rack down to check position of other marks and adjust as required. Not a big deal, just take your time and measure twice before you drill the holes. Also, it is easier to check location of rack with bike upright on a jack.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:38 PM
jdiamondv
Cruiser

robbie is right on, did mine the same way.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:44 PM
QQVEPY
Intermediate

Definitely don't forget putting tape over the drill points. I would also use a smaller bit to drill a pilot hole.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:00 PM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Check for clearance between the rider's back rest and the rack with someone sitting in the back seat.

Have heard this before that the rack can be installed too close to the back rest....

Old 04-18-2010, 03:40 PM
skeazle
6th Gear

Hey thanks for the help. I'll give it a go when it comes in. Jim

Old 05-10-2010, 08:51 AM
hotshot
Tourer

The instructions on the Premium Tour Pak Luggage Rack is as clear as mud. :-) Thanks for at least giving me some ideas.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:00 PM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Throw the template away. I used the 'USA' emblem on my TP for a straight edge, and marked on the tape (painter's blue tape). From there I used the tri-square to measure the posts from the seat. As mentioned, it's much easier on a jack.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:24 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

There is no template for the rack. The template that comes with the rack is for the rear spoiler and they give it to you as a reference point for installing the rack. I found the tape method to be difficult since you cant really see the lines of the tour pack with tape in the way. I used some little adhesive rubber stoppers and put them on the feet of the tour pack. That way you could move the tour pack around and it wouldn't slide. Once I got it in position I marked around the feet of the legs with a sharpie and drilled.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Indiana Bob
Intermediate

Yup, I too used the blue tape. Then took the USA in the center of the tour pak lid and an appropriate looking distance from the backrest ubtil it was just right. Then I called Mama in for the final approval. She moved it a thousandth or so and then I used the sharpie to mark the location she chose! Nothing to it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: premium tour-pak luggage rack install