Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle tension screw with TBW

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 10:40 AM
MINI SSS
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle tension screw with TBW

Can You add a throttle tension screw to a 2009 Road Glide with TBW? It would be much better for group riding.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:33 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MINI SSS
Can You add a throttle tension screw to a 2009 Road Glide with TBW? It would be much better for group riding.
I'm of the mind set anything can be done, but this is not going to happen with an "out of the box" product. Not sure why you think it would be better for group riding. In my experience, locking the throttle in a group situation is the beginning of something bad, very, very bad.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:33 AM
TitoFTW
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get cruise control installed. I love it on long trips.

And why would you ever want to lock your throttle when riding in a pack???

Old 04-19-2010, 11:35 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TitoFTW
Get cruise control installed. I love it on long trips.

And why would you ever want to lock your throttle when riding in a pack???
+1, plus it has all the safety factors built in, cancels when you hit the brake, pull the clutch or twist the throttle forward.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:39 AM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

Personally, I think it's a bad idea to lock your throttle, even using cruise control, when riding in a group. You never know when the speed is going to suddenly change for an unknown reason.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:50 AM
honorsdaddy
Road Master

Why would you WANT to?

The 2009 comes standard with cruise control, and the idea of using any kind of speed control device in a group ride is a truly frightening thought...

Old 04-19-2010, 11:55 AM
widowmaker221
Cruiser

I am sure some kind of vista cruise will work.I used to use this in long distance group riding as well, you simply set it enough that your throttle won't close on its own but can be closed by overriding it or twisting the grip forward.I actually added a throttle boss to my grips for this very reason.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:58 AM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Makes no sense to me but something to consider as a cheap alternative ($10.00) is a Crampbuster. I find it helpful on the long haul rides as my bike is an 01 without cruise. I use the throttle lock occasionally but NEVER on a group ride.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:22 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

you could use some sort of throttle locking device, but if you've got tbw, then go to harley and get the factory cruise installed. i did on my 08 streetglide, and i use it a lot. it's adjustable with a switch which is part of the kit and is factory on the ultra, limited, and used to be on the roadglide. for me, it's become essential, and the tbw with cruise works seamlessly. it maintains a given speed, or you can adjust up or down easily. the cruise shuts off when you hit the brakes or roll your throttle forward, i find it to be very safe and it works great. if you set it at 72 mph, it does not climb or drop a bit, just stays there till you disengage it, or want to change your speed.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:30 PM
nikosflht
Novice

i like the pain in a long time trip in my right hand.why to use a cruise control????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Throttle tension screw with TBW