Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left turn signal not working/Red key on speedo constantly on

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 07:14 PM
eddieo
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **UPDATE** Left turn signal not working/Security key on speedo constantly on

Good evening All,

I tried searching already here for the solution, but haven't seen any that come close.

Just picked my bike up (2009 FLHX) from my Independant shop from having the front springs/fluid/seals replaced (my choice - upgraded from stock) and noticed on the way home the Red security key was lit on the speedo (yes, I have the factory installed security system), and that when I hit my Left blinker button, the Left lights don't blink (but they are illuminated normally), and the green arrow does not light up indicating blinkers are on. The Right side is fine however. If I try and engage my hazards, only the Right side works. So I switched over my right side bulbs, over to the left and vice versa, (front to front, rear to rear) and the Left still does not blink. The front and rear bulbs are all illuminated and look normal, until I want to hit the Left side blinker button (and the Red security key is staying lit). I also do have that module that keeps the tail lights on and makes them running lights/brake lights, and I disconnected it and hooked the connection back up with out it and it made no difference in the Left blinker issue. Also, If I hit my brake, both rear tailights act normally as brake lights, so I guess I can rule out that it is that module.

I will unfortunatlry have to go back tomorrow morning to have them check this and to recall if when they had the ignition switch off the bike if they ran into any snags while doing so.

In the meantime, if anybody has any clues or suggestions, I'd like to know.

Thanks, eddieo

Last edited by eddieo; 04-21-2010 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Found solution
Old 04-20-2010, 07:57 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i get same problem but intermittent due to the load equalizer since i also have the rear flashers and taillight to stay on. I just turn ign to off for few secounds till Red key starts flashing again and then turn ign back to on and start bike.. im running the Kuryakan load equalizer since i have the HD LED taillight - im sure there is something better than the Kuryakan module because it gets very hot when u have all ure flashers going or Hold the brake light for a long period of time.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:08 PM
rshwetz
Cruiser

pull the fairing and put on you blinker then pull and move the wire bundles to insure you do not have a grounded wire. I had the same issue and it took me a few days to find the short, that was on top of the radio and the bundle had one wire that vibrated the insulation off of the wire. Hope this helps. Mine was on an flhtc.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:25 PM
tincup64
Road Warrior

I'm having the same problem on my rk. I suspect a short but can't find it. She's going to the dealer Friday.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:54 PM
Jday53
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He had the front apart, my guess is a pinched wire it is grounding out some where

Old 04-21-2010, 08:46 AM
eddieo
Advanced
Default **UPDATE** Left Turn Signal not working/Security Key stays lit

Shop resolved problem this morning!!

After some deductions of what they touched yesterday during the front end spring swap, it was determined that they took the right and left side blinkers off so that they could get the front end off. In doing so, they let them hang down, so what must have happened was the inner contacts for the left turn bulb had gotten pushed back so that it was not making contact with the bulb, thus resulting in the security system recognizing that there was a circuit error (light staying on alerting me to a problem) and the bike not having the connection to the turn signal function. It was all of a few minutes to diagnose and correct!

I didn't want to start tearing into this myself last night because I didn't know what they touched and I didn't want to create more variables.

Thanks for the suggestions,
eddieo

Old 04-21-2010, 09:36 AM
TheShrink
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by papifun
i get same problem but intermittent due to the load equalizer since i also have the rear flashers and taillight to stay on. I just turn ign to off for few secounds till Red key starts flashing again and then turn ign back to on and start bike.. im running the Kuryakan load equalizer since i have the HD LED taillight - im sure there is something better than the Kuryakan module because it gets very hot when u have all ure flashers going or Hold the brake light for a long period of time.
You're right, the Kuryakyn load equalizer is junk and will eventually burn out. Get the Badlands Illuminator with built in load equalizer. It doesn't get hot no matter how many l.e.d.'s you run and it's alarm compatible.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:13 PM
Lucas59
Stage I

I had the same problem on my egc i took off the fairing to tighten the bars and i let the light bar hang and it pulled the wire loose enough to light the red key light when i turned on the ignition and left signal took it back apart and re situated the wires and all is good now. i wont be in such a hurry next time

Old 08-11-2011, 02:54 PM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[quote=TheShrink;6599327]You're right, the Kuryakyn load equalizer is junk and will eventually burn out. Get the Badlands Illuminator with built in load equalizer. It doesn't get hot no matter how many l.e.d.'s you run and it's alarm compatible.[/quot

+1 on badlands i have it on my bike and never gets hot with my LEDs and cheaper to.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:36 PM
Reddog9
Stage IV
Default Any answers?

Having same issue! 2003 Low Rider for no known reason all left turn signals fail to function (it is not the bulbs) including 4ways and green indicator light. Security "key" illuminated all the time. It seems to me that this is too specific symptomatically to be just a bare wire somewhere. At least 1/2 dozen others with exact same problem! HELP PLEASE!

Quick Reply: Left turn signal not working/Red key on speedo constantly on