Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuner/Programmer choices

Old 04-24-2010, 04:28 PM
Sargergp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuner/Programmer choices

I have an '09 Ultra with SE Stage 1 AC and stock exhaust. I've read a lot on here about tuners/programmers versus remapping. I let the dealer talk me into a remap at the 1k service along with the AC install. The tech told me he had found the best remap to be the stock map for the 103 for my situation and then if I decided to add slip ons later it wouldn't have to be changed. Anyone have experience with this? Would a tuner work well for me. I'm not looking to race the bike or spend big bucks for performance mods I just want it to perform like I know it can and get rid of the lean burn stock tuning that I've been told all these bikes come with. If so, what tuner would you recommend and why? I've heard lots of different opinions on this and so many different tuners to choose from. Dyno-Jet PCV, Vance & Hines, Cobra just to name a few.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:08 PM
Joshman
Cruiser

The PCV is your best bet out of what you listed for options. If cash is not option(which is rare)go with a Zippers thundermax system. Completly replaces the factory ECM doesn't just piggyback like the PCV, Fuelpack, or cobra module does. The thundermax will totally change your bike in everyway as far as performance, mileage and rideability, won't even recognize it!. I just got one for my bike and wow it's worth the bucks($800). If you aren't willing to spend the big bucks at least get yourself a PCV properly mapped and then your good to go too. Just my $.02

Old 04-24-2010, 07:16 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

I have a 2008 FLHX and thought I may have to buy another tuner(don't ask) I listened to alot of guys on here and talked to guys IRL and the TTS was the unit that was the overwhelming favorite of the guys that tune for a living. I ended up not needing a new tuner so I stuck with what I had - SE Pro Super tuner.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:27 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm pleased with the Ridemaxx tuner I installed on my '09 Ultra Classic after a Stage 1 and download with a set of SE slip-on's. It takes longer to remove the saddlebag and side cover than it does to plug the Ridemaxx into the ECU under the seat. Check it out!

Old 04-24-2010, 07:36 PM
Sargergp
Cruiser

Originally Posted by qtrracer
I have a 2008 FLHX and thought I may have to buy another tuner(don't ask) I listened to alot of guys on here and talked to guys IRL and the TTS was the unit that was the overwhelming favorite of the guys that tune for a living. I ended up not needing a new tuner so I stuck with what I had - SE Pro Super tuner.
I may sound ignorant but what is TTS?

Old 04-24-2010, 07:48 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

The guy that originally made the SE Super Tuner made the TTS Tuner(The Turbo Shop) I believe his name is Steve Cole , the new HD tuner( SE Pro Super Tuner) was not developed in any way by TTS. Do some search on the Tech Forums here.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:44 AM
FLBP
Novice

What do you guys think about the PCV with autotune?? How hard to install and you opinions please?

Old 04-25-2010, 02:36 AM
oaoj@tds.net
Stage II

I have a 07 streetglide with pc III, true duels rhinehearts. It was running fine, but hear lately it's been stalling out when I come to a stop. It starts right back up, any suggestions.

Old 04-25-2010, 03:02 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by FLBP
What do you guys think about the PCV with autotune?? How hard to install and you opinions please?
Depends on your bike. I put one on my 07 RK this year. The PCV is quite a bit smaller than the PC III, but you've also got the two autotune modules to deal with. If you can get your old O2 sensors without too much trouble, it's probably an hour or two install for most bikes. Most of that time will be spent wiring up the autotune modules and then getting the modules/wiring all properly tucked away. You need to run the cable for the front O2 sensor under your tank, so you'll be messing around with that a bit.

On my bike, the rear O2 sensor gave me fits getting it out. I ultimately needed to take the entire exhaust system off my bike so I could take the header pipe to a muffler shop to get the sensor bung fixed. So I wound up spending about 4 hours over 2 days getting mine all set up and working properly.

The good news is the bike runs great. The autotune suggests trim settings to the initial map, and as you accept them, the changes gradually become less and less.

I think the best running bike is always going to be one that has been professionally dyno tuned by a competant technician, but I think this is probably second best.

Originally Posted by oaoj@tds.net
I have a 07 streetglide with pc III, true duels rhinehearts. It was running fine, but hear lately it's been stalling out when I come to a stop. It starts right back up, any suggestions.
Tough to diagnose without a little more info. Are you decelerating hard? Have you double checked your throttle calibration? Try taking the PC out of the loop for a short while and see if it still does it.

Last edited by Mike; 04-25-2010 at 03:42 AM.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:19 AM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The million dollar question, what is the best tuner on the market. They all have their nitch dpending on what you have as far as engine mods, what are you trying to accomplish, and if taking to a tuning shop with a dyno, what the operator is the most competent (familiar) with. I use the TTS Mastertune, as it has a lot of capabilities I like. The SEST, PCV, T-MAX and others can be used without issues, but again, I took the time to learn the TTS, and before that the DTT TCFI IID systems.

If you are not planning on dynoing the bike, and have a pretty standard (stock or mildly modified) engine, Getting a PCV and a map will get you close, but nothing beats putting the bike on a dyno and being able to load all of the cells, and then tune from there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tuner/Programmer choices