Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Import into California DMV requires CHP inspection?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 07:26 PM
Pass Rider
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Bought a Road King Custom in Kansas a couple of years ago and to had to have the VIN inspected before I could license it. Our county here in Colorado has Safety Patrols who are trained volunteers and they came to my house to verify, ran the VIN through the computer, and gave me the paperwork to take to the DMV. Very easy, very quick.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:48 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FLTRI4ME
Dont think you have to pay sales tax,but there is a use tax!

From the DMV website......The vehicle must be inspected by an authorized DMV employee, law enforcement officer, or a licensed vehicle verifier. These inspections are most easily obtained by bringing the vehicle to the nearest DMV, where there is no extra fee charged for the inspection. For faster service, make an Appointment(s) .

Registration Fee : Collected on the majority of on-highway vehicles to offset DMV costs.
Reflectorized License Plate Fee: Collected to cover license plate issuance.
California Highway Patrol Fee: (CHP) Collected to offset CHP costs.
County Fees: Vary by county. Collected at the request of your California county of residence for special programs.
Vehicle License Fee (VLF): Based on the value of your vehicle as determined by the Certificate of Cost or Bill of Sale. (Disabled Veterans and Nonresident military personnel stationed in California may apply for a military exemption from the VLF on vehicles they register in California.)
Permanent Trailer Identification (PTI) Original Fee: All trailers, except trailer coaches and park trailers, are under the PTI program. PTI trailers are not subject to registration, CHP, county, and vehicle license fees. PTI trailers pay an original fee and then a service fee every five years for renewal.
Weight Fee: Assessed on pickups with an unladen weight of 8,000 lbs. or less, and commercial motor vehicles with gross operating weight under 10,001 lbs. This fee is based on the empty or unladen weight.
Commercial Vehicle Registration Act (CVRA) Fee: Assessed on commercial motor vehicles with an operating weight of 10,001 lbs. or more (and including pickups with an unladen weight of 8,001 lbs. or more). This fee is based on the motor vehicle gross vehicle weight (GVW) or combined gross vehicle weight (CGVW). Tow trucks used to assist the motoring public to tow or carry impounded vehicles are subject to CVRA fees. The tow truck’s declared weight is based on its gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), not a combined gross vehicle weight.
Cargo Theft Interdiction Program (CTIP) Fee: Commercial motor vehicles operating at 10,001 lbs. or more are assessed a CTIP fee. This fee is not due for pickups, tow trucks, or vehicles for hire used solely to transport people. It is used by the CHP to recover stolen cargo and promote security for commercially registered vehicles.
Use Tax: Collected at the same rate as your California city of residence sales tax. Legislation requires payment of use tax on a vehicle purchased outside California and brought into California within 365 days of the purchase date.
Nonresident Service Fee: Collected on vehicles and vessels other than PTI trailers and Special Equipment.
Penalties: Assessed when fees for a nonresident vehicle are not paid within 20 days of the date they became due. PTI trailers are only assessed late use tax penalties.
Looks like you'll pay sales tax

Old 04-30-2010, 07:54 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

I guess someone can end up paying tax twice.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:05 PM
clutchglass
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Somebody is BSing you

Originally Posted by tek-noid
So, my new (to me) Road King is delivered yesterday from Colorado, so today I'm off to DMV with my paperwork all filled out, checkbook (for Sales Tax ) in hand, and comfortable with the fact that the bike has 8001 miles on it, so I've passed the magical 7,500 mile threshold..

and then I hear "because it is a Harley", I have to go to the local CHP (CA Highway Patrol) office for an inspection. She claimed to not know why exactly, but gave me temporary registration and a "Application for Assigned VIN Plate" form for the CHP to fill out.

So, while I'm waiting for a CHP callback to schedule a visit, I'm curious:

Q1. Is it really just Harley's, or any out-of-state motorcycle brought into CA?

Q2. Since they mention VIN's, is this just an inspection to make sure I don't have a stolen/VIN adjusted bike? I'm pretty sure I'm ok there.

Q3. What do they actually check? It isn't a CA-emission certified bike, but I believe the >7,500 miles should eliminate that as a problem... though the pipes are not stock, so I wonder if they'll be getting the sound meter out?

Anybody run into this before?

Thanks,
James
James,
Unless it's some kind of county thing where you're at...someone is full of some serious crap. Let me tell you how I know...
I live in Kern County (Southern Cali). Last year my brother in Indiana passed away from pancreatic cancer. He left me his 2006 fatboy (which I had previously installed rush slip ons and a PCIII onto). I brought it back here...took it to the ridgecrest DMV and titled and plated it without a problem....and it had less than 2,000 miles on it.
-clutch-
P.S. Sounds like you drew a bonehead at the DMV. Also, bikes don't get smogged here, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Let me know how it turns out. Worse case scenario...I still have the stock mufflers I took off my 2009 Ultra. If you need to borrow them, maybe we can work something out.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:23 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's just a VIN verification. The reason: lazy DMV worker OR due to recent cut backs at CA DMV office. I went to the DMV to renew my license a few months back. I waited over 3 hours to get up to the window. I have seen them send people to the CHP before and it's no big deal. They just check the VIN and speedo and you are gone. If I were you I would go online and find all the local CHP stations around you and ride by and ask if they can do a VIN inspection. Chances are they will do it right there right then.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:32 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Dont see why you need to wait for an appointment unless you called a super busy office. Ride the bike to another CHP office.Should only take a few minutes.

Last edited by 1flhtk4me; 04-30-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:31 AM
Rkoetting
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Each CHP Area office has a VIN verification officer, who is normally assigned to other admin type duties. Any one of them can do your verification, but often the appointments are booked for a month or more. Any CHP officer can do a verification if they want. Some are more confident than others on their VIN abilities, and the ones that are not too confident will rightfully decline to do an inspection. I notice your location shows "Northern California." If you are really in the "northern" part of the state, PM me and maybe I could help you out. I am based out of Redding, but my current assignment gives me a little latitude to make reasonable "field trips."

Old 05-01-2010, 12:34 AM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

you only pay tax where you plan to register it. You dont pay tax in another state then go to your state and pay again.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:38 AM
mjmangus
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clutchglass
James,
Unless it's some kind of county thing where you're at...someone is full of some serious crap. Let me tell you how I know...
I live in Kern County (Southern Cali). Last year my brother in Indiana passed away from pancreatic cancer. He left me his 2006 fatboy (which I had previously installed rush slip ons and a PCIII onto). I brought it back here...took it to the ridgecrest DMV and titled and plated it without a problem....and it had less than 2,000 miles on it.
-clutch-
P.S. Sounds like you drew a bonehead at the DMV. Also, bikes don't get smogged here, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Let me know how it turns out. Worse case scenario...I still have the stock mufflers I took off my 2009 Ultra. If you need to borrow them, maybe we can work something out.
Since you inherited the bike that might have made the difference. When I registered my '42 WLA (which was purchased out of state) at Ridgecrest DMV, I wound up taking it to the CHP. BTW I also live in North Edwards.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:03 AM
gunslinger14647
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tek-noid
So, my new (to me) Road King is delivered yesterday from Colorado, so today I'm off to DMV with my paperwork all filled out, checkbook (for Sales Tax ) in hand, and comfortable with the fact that the bike has 8001 miles on it, so I've passed the magical 7,500 mile threshold..

and then I hear "because it is a Harley", I have to go to the local CHP (CA Highway Patrol) office for an inspection. She claimed to not know why exactly, but gave me temporary registration and a "Application for Assigned VIN Plate" form for the CHP to fill out.

So, while I'm waiting for a CHP callback to schedule a visit, I'm curious:

Q1. Is it really just Harley's, or any out-of-state motorcycle brought into CA?

Q2. Since they mention VIN's, is this just an inspection to make sure I don't have a stolen/VIN adjusted bike? I'm pretty sure I'm ok there.

Q3. What do they actually check? It isn't a CA-emission certified bike, but I believe the >7,500 miles should eliminate that as a problem... though the pipes are not stock, so I wonder if they'll be getting the sound meter out?

Anybody run into this before?

Thanks,
James
Hi James,

I am a CHP sergeant and I did VIN verifications in the Los Angeles area for a while. The reason for the verification process is due to the fairly high theft rate, especially of parts. The inspection can often be done by your local DMV; however, if they are uncertain of the origin of the bike, or a federal label isn't easily legible, etc.., they will refer you to your local CHP office. To clear up some of the erroneous answers here: We DO NOT pull out a decibel meter (never even had one at my office), we DO NOT disassemble your bike based on a hunch or mere uncertainty, and we have access to confidential computer data bases which the DMV does not. If you were referred for an "assigned VIN plate", one of two things is at issue: 1) you have a replacement/after market frame or, 2) Your frame VIN is illegible. If you replaced the frame with, say, a Paughco frame, you will be given a "blue tag" with a completely original VIN number, based on the chronological sequence of the VIN officer's plates. If the frame is simply illegible, but everything else proves it's truly a Harley and otherwise good to go, ("secondary, confidential" numbers verify this fact), you will be given a blue tag containing the original VIN. This also happens a lot with the military. They transfer back to the states and bring their scooter with them. If it was purchased through AFES or something similar, the process begins. I was in my local Harley dealership buying better speakers when the manager approached me with this exact issue. I was able to verify it in the work area with all the paperwork in about 15 minutes. Also, most CHP officers are not trained to do this and therefore will not attempt it. My local DMV and I had an understanding; if certain marks and colors (of writing and stamps on the forms) were not there, I had not completed the inspection and they were not to process the registration. It sucks that there is such a long wait, but there are a lot of people waiting to have VIN inspections done. I hope this clears things up for you. Ride safe!

Quick Reply: Import into California DMV requires CHP inspection?