Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to install an Electra Glide Fairing on a Road King

Old 04-29-2010, 11:51 PM
rosieg60
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to install an Electra Glide Fairing on a Road King

I have a 2004 Road King and would like to know what parts are required to install a Electra Glide fairing my Road King and any ideas on the approximate cost?.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:34 AM
cike
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I did it on my 99 RK and if I had to do it again I would buy a after market detachable one. I started out thinking that I could put it on my bike for about $500 But by the time I was done I had between $1000 -$1500 in it. And that was buying a lot of the parts off ebay. There are 4 brackets on the inside that will run about $150. i do not have the gauges in mine, If you add them it will cost more. If not What to do with the holes becomes an issue. My first thought was to put speakers in all of the gauge holes, but there is not anyway i could figure out to mount them. The four smaller hole can use the plugs that go into an e-glide standard next to the radio. The 2 big holes I had to make special plates.
Road king handlebars will not fit with the fairing. (inside is not wide enough for lower cover)
What to do with the lower cover. on an e-glide you have the ignition switch where the Rk has the stearing lock. I had to make something to cover up this spot, now the forks can't be locked.
Cables have to be re-routed, There is a metal plate under the headlight cover that had to be moved or modified (can't remember now) Have to buy Stereo and speakers, Speaker fixture, speaker grills. And how are you going to mount the stereo in the hole? If you use a stock H-D stereo (high dollar) are you going to run a wire harness so you can hook it up?
Have to get windshield ($35 after market $100 H-D) Many of the screws cost me a couple bucks a piece.
i know it sounds like I'm ******* your idea, i'm not. I had the same idea 2 years ago. just wish that I had realized how big of a job it was before I got to far into it to stop. I'm just trying to give you some things to think about. You might be a lot handier than I am and have no probs.
You can pick -up aftermarket one from about $400/ no stereo and up
http://www.dragonflycycleconcepts.com/fairings.htm
http://www.tsukayu.com/QuickDetachableFairing.html
http://www.deadcentercycles.com/audio.aspx
http://hoppeindustries.com/store/
Here are a couple of the more popular ones (also more $) you can find cheaper if you look around.
I just saw the other day that kuryakyn has a new one out now for $599/no radio http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go.../171/IMID/3869.
to do this it would run anywhere between $1000-$2500 depending on if you want gauges, radio, and if you use used parts. might cost even more if all new parts. Mine nickle and dime'd me the whole way through.
If you follow my threads, i should have one out within the next few days that will show close ups of my bike including the fairing.
Good luck however you decide to go. For the record i love having my fairing. (great on cold days too.)
Hope some of this helps

Old 04-30-2010, 03:24 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

You need to be clear what you want to achieve.

I looked into this a few years ago with my FLHS, which looked like an RK when new. I found a complete take-off, radio, instruments the lot, but found the wiring alterations needed were more than I was prepared to make, so abandoned that. I then found an early 80s glass-fibre batwing which I fitted, having realised that what I wanted was the wind protection and not the radio or extra instruments.

There are other recent threads on fitting a batwing which are worth looking out for, including links to aftermarket ones. See if one of them will do what you want. If you want a full factory set-up you need the factory manuals, a lot of determination and keep an eye out for a take-off, otherwise it will costs a fortune to buy new parts!

Old 04-30-2010, 07:09 AM
highlanderque
Advanced

I'm currently in the process of a conversion as well (SG to RG). I was able to get a complete list from forum member that included the parts and prices from Zanotti. While these were prices on new parts, you should be able to find some of the major parts on eBay or in the Classified section of the forum. What's helped me out tremendously, was my service manual. Also, if you can get one, a parts manual will be valuable too.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:34 AM
TMART
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you dont want a factory looking stereo or no stereo at all,I got the Memphis Shades batwing,had it painted to match.The quality is superb and wind protection is great.I have the 12 inch shield on it and have zero buffeting.I do have a set of road rumble ultras speakers that mount on the bars.These speakers sound great no matter what speed your doing.I only have about 450.00 in the fairing.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:01 PM
POPASICKBOY1
Banned

Originally Posted by highlanderque
I'm currently in the process of a conversion as well (SG to RG). I was able to get a complete list from forum member that included the parts and prices from Zanotti. While these were prices on new parts, you should be able to find some of the major parts on eBay or in the Classified section of the forum. What's helped me out tremendously, was my service manual. Also, if you can get one, a parts manual will be valuable too.
do you still have that list

Old 06-18-2011, 08:34 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the memphis shades batwing is super...have over 30k on an '09 RK with one. bought mine for about the cost of a new windshield. quick detach and the black paint is very good quality.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:37 PM
POPASICKBOY1
Banned

Originally Posted by dan conner
the memphis shades batwing is super...have over 30k on an '09 RK with one. bought mine for about the cost of a new windshield. quick detach and the black paint is very good quality.
I had a detach, sold it in, 3weeks,

Old 06-18-2011, 10:31 PM
HalfFast
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want a top quality batwing, go with a Reckless Fairing and you can put it on and take it off in a matter of minutes and it looks good too but I that is just my opinion because I have one. You won't find a better stereo on any HD fairing.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:48 PM
POPASICKBOY1
Banned

Originally Posted by HalfFast
If you want a top quality batwing, go with a Reckless Fairing and you can put it on and take it off in a matter of minutes and it looks good too but I that is just my opinion because I have one. You won't find a better stereo on any HD fairing.
I just sold my Reckless, didn't like it, looks like out don't belong.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to install an Electra Glide Fairing on a Road King