Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuelmoto, fuelpak, power commander,...whats the difference

Old 12-14-2009, 05:09 PM
Coastiejosh
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuelmoto, fuelpak, power commander,...whats the difference

The only thing i can figure out is that they all help schedule the fuel to air ration for your ride. Am I correct? anyone have amplifing information?

thanks for the help

Old 12-14-2009, 08:53 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Coastiejosh
The only thing i can figure out is that they all help schedule the fuel to air ration for your ride. Am I correct? anyone have amplifing information?

thanks for the help
Fuelmoto sells Power Commanders plus many other items. The Power Commander is a far mor versatile tuning unit than a Fuelpak. It can add and subract fuel and you can change the engine timing.
I would highly recommend buying from Fuelmoto. They include a map for the PC, warranty it for 2 years and will change your map for future mods.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:53 PM
1sweetglide08
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couldn't have put it any better than what nvsteve stated.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:24 AM
gibby916
1st Gear

There are many different fuel tuners out there...and unlike what many people say, there is not just one right tuner for everyone. I agree with what people above have said, but I would do some more research or call the guys at Fuel Moto for some help choosing the right tuner for you.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:51 AM
oinker02
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are many choices for sure, but many of them are losers, so it's good that you ask.

The bottom line reason for seeking any fueler is to get CONTROL of fuel and timing events. So the best fueler for you will be one that offers the level of control that you desire and fits your bike. Another BIG reason you want a good fueler is that you can seriously damage your engine if you were to modify the intake or exhaust much beyond stock configuration.

As these devices have evolved, they have gone from the simple FuelPac type to the PCIII style, and most recently the autotune versions offered by Thundermax and Dynojet.

There are many variations of each type, so don't let marketing hype fool you as to which is best. The worst place to shop for any style/type fueler is at the dealer for that particular device. They are going to snow you with lotsa BS, so take this opportunity to get smart on the whole concept.

The FuelPac type offer very limited control and don't allow you to connect a laptop. You simply dial in "suggested" settings and ride away not getting a real "tune". The FuelPac stuff is overdue for retirement, but Vance & hines and several others still promote it as a "fix" for their performance exhaust upgrades....Stay away from it

The PCIII style fuelers are more advanced in that they allow you to connect, and then via software GUI access the fuel map along with ignition timing.(A fuel map consists of hundreds of windows where each display a value that corelates to how much fuel is added or subtracted from the mix at that exact RPM and throttle position. You can then change the value in each window. The windows are arranged by RPM and throttle opening) Some PCIII style devices offer a higher resolution which means simply more windows. Some also allow you to increase the rev limit allowed by the factory ECU. All PCIII style fuelers operate "open loop" meaning they get no feedback from the OEM O2 sensors. Once installed you select what we call a "canned map" based on your engine and any mods you made to the intake, exhaust or cams. This style tuner is also able to communicate with most dynometer test stands where the dyno operator can configure a more exact map for your bike. That map is then saved to the fueler device where it will forever operate as programed. Any changes you make to your engine then require another dyno session or a new canned map......Based on your budget and ability, you might consider this as best.

The most advanced fuelers available today operate in "closed loop" where they do read the O2 sensors and adjust automaticly to maintain the air/fuel ratio you program in it. The best of these type require "wideband sensors" that replace your OEM narrow band sensors. This style fueler is called an "autotune" device. They also require you select a proper "starting" base map, then they will dial themself in as you ride. They will then adapt to changes in altitude and load conditions unlike all the older styles. These devices are proving to be very effective and trouble free. They cost more up front, but guarantee you will never need to pay for a dyno tune(unless you are **** about that last little Lb of torque or HP)

So, tell us exactly what bike you ride and any changes you have made or plan to make. We can then help you sellect the best fueler for your application and skills.

Last edited by oinker02; 12-15-2009 at 05:56 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:58 AM
afphinfan
Advanced

Not too hijack but I also have this same issue. I already have slip-on pipes and want to install a SE A/C or Arlen Ness Big Sucker, etc. but I'm just not sure what Fuel mapper to use. For the moment I dont see going past stage I but of course that could change later on.

It seems the 'junk' that most folks are hating on is just a similar way to allow for Stage I add-ons that we would have done on carbed bikes by re-jetting ... not an optimum tune but a way to do it none the less.

I was pretty sure I was going to get the PCIII from FuelMoto as I don't believe I can get any of the auto tune type products (I have an 01 with the MM EFI) ... but I've got two questions: Do I still need to get it Dyno'd or is the map from FuelMoto good enough? Does this affect my extended warranty? I know the PC III can be unplugged but I imagine that changing out the a/c to stock is a pain if needed to be done on the side of the road. Thanks for the help!

Old 12-15-2009, 06:09 AM
oinker02
Banned

Originally Posted by afphinfan
Not too hijack but I also have this same issue. I already have slip-on pipes and want to install a SE A/C or Arlen Ness Big Sucker, etc. but I'm just not sure what Fuel mapper to use. For the moment I dont see going past stage I but of course that could change later on.

It seems the 'junk' that most folks are hating on is just a similar way to allow for Stage I add-ons that we would have done on carbed bikes by re-jetting ... not an optimum tune but a way to do it none the less.

I was pretty sure I was going to get the PCIII from FuelMoto as I don't believe I can get any of the auto tune type products (I have an 01 with the MM EFI) ... but I've got two questions: Do I still need to get it Dyno'd or is the map from FuelMoto good enough? Does this affect my extended warranty? I know the PC III can be unplugged but I imagine that changing out the a/c to stock is a pain if needed to be done on the side of the road. Thanks for the help!
If you had a much newer bike, then just the PCIII alone with NO intake or exhaust changes would offer a noticable improvement plus allow you to make changes as you modified your bike.

I know nothing about the older MM injection systems and how well Dynojet PC's operate with them, or if they can even be configuted to work. I suggest you give Jamie a call at FuelMoto. He is the world's expert on Dynojet products.

Zippers offers an upgrade from the MM stuff, but I don't know how well it performs.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:16 AM
meatball64
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nvsteve
Fuelmoto sells Power Commanders plus many other items. The Power Commander is a far mor versatile tuning unit than a Fuelpak. It can add and subract fuel and you can change the engine timing.
I would highly recommend buying from Fuelmoto. They include a map for the PC, warranty it for 2 years and will change your map for future mods.
Not only all of the above their customer service is second to none.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:42 AM
US66harley
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

fuelmoto (private label) and power commander are both made by Dynojet. Call Jamie at fuel moto he will fix you up with best application for your bike and preprogram it.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:02 AM
oinker02
Banned

Originally Posted by US66harley
fuelmoto (private label) and power commander are both made by Dynojet. Call Jamie at fuel moto he will fix you up with best application for your bike and preprogram it.
Yep, the new private label FuelMoto device is in actuality only a Dynojet PCIII USB with a fuelmoto sticker on it. This proves that Jamie is joined at the hip with Dynojet, but it also forewarns that Dynojet plans to begin promoting mainly their new PCV and autotune (which Jamie also sells along with the Thundermax, my favorite).

I'm thinking Dynojet will continue to produce the PCIII under private lable but will soon move fully to the PCV under their lable alone(which Jamie will continue to sell)...... TTS(The turbo Store) invented/made SERT for HD but are now disconnected from HD and HD markets their own device called SEST.... Thunderheart developed and produces the Thundermax, but quickly decided to market it souly thru Zippers where it at first it was a Zippers dealer only install, but is now offered retail via Zippers.

It's a confusing and fast moving world where we strain to keep up with the new developments. It only adds to our confusion whenever the makers swap labels and the dealers swap loyalties.

If I was a dealer who sold devices made by numerous makers, but also offered one with my label on it, then you know which one I'd promote most often.

Last edited by oinker02; 12-15-2009 at 07:34 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: fuelmoto, fuelpak, power commander,...whats the difference