Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RED ALAERT Cam Swap Help Please@#$%!!!

Old 05-02-2010, 01:54 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RED ALAERT Cam Swap Help Please@#$%!!!

08 ultra classic new SE255 cams stock push rods new lifters new bearings.
Removed rockers with each cylinder on base of cams.removed push rods and lifters. Removed cam gears and cam plate.
Aligned new cams dots lined up on the inside confirmed.
Aligned cam and cram gear dots with line on cam plate confirmed.
Installed lifters and push rods. Black on exhaust outward lifters and extreme front and rear holes on cylinders. Installed Silver intake on inward lifters and inner holes on the cylinders Confirmed.
Installed the rocker arms with new breathers made sure the rods are in the sockets and I was on base circle of the cams tightened to manual specs. had the gas tank off double checked all of the connections and fuel line all good hear the fuel pump working and smell gas. I have oil pressure and good voltage motors turns over but no fire. So I checked compression only have 50psi not enought to get her going I did open the butterfly on the throttle body when doing the compression check also. What the heck am I missing???????? If any of you have some ideas will you pm me or email me pleasetrying to get her running and I am stumpped.
Thanks

Old 05-02-2010, 02:04 PM
Wrench53
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Cams aren't aligned. Maybe out 180. Did you use the cam plate alignment pins?
This write up may help on making sure everything is right.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...t-day-3-a.html

Last edited by Wrench53; 05-02-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:17 PM
mongomark
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Possible your lifters didn't get a chance to bleed down, should only take a few minutes though. It's pretty hard to screw up the cam timing. After the cams were installed, did you use a straight edge on the outside face of the cams after you installed them in the camplate? Did the pushrods fit into the lifters properly? Sounds like a valve could be hanging open. You can find out which one by getting each cyl to top dead center (both valves should be closed) find a smoker and blow smoke into the cylinder through the compression tester hose, you'll see whether it's coming through the exhaust or the intake (you'll need to open the throttle butterfly). That'll narrow it down to where the problem is.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:26 PM
chasswartz
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you did everything right, however if your only getting 50psi compression something is wrong. Can you spin the pushrods when your on base circle of the cam? Are both cylinder pressures the same-50psi?

Old 05-02-2010, 08:38 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master

Originally Posted by Wrench53
Cams aren't aligned. Maybe out 180. Did you use the cam plate alignment pins?
This write up may help on making sure everything is right.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...t-day-3-a.html
The cams line up dot to dot and you can only get the cam and crank to line up one way so I could not fiure out how I could be 180 off but man I looked thanks

Old 05-02-2010, 08:39 PM
harleyman1340
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

50psi certainly sound like the valves are not closing all the way. For us contemplating doing a cam change ourselves please update us to the problem.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:40 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master

Originally Posted by mongomark
Possible your lifters didn't get a chance to bleed down, should only take a few minutes though. It's pretty hard to screw up the cam timing. After the cams were installed, did you use a straight edge on the outside face of the cams after you installed them in the camplate? Did the pushrods fit into the lifters properly? Sounds like a valve could be hanging open. You can find out which one by getting each cyl to top dead center (both valves should be closed) find a smoker and blow smoke into the cylinder through the compression tester hose, you'll see whether it's coming through the exhaust or the intake (you'll need to open the throttle butterfly). That'll narrow it down to where the problem is.
Yes to all of your questions I tore it all apart and re did it all will check tomorrow night to see compression hope it goes up!!! If not I will try the smoke for sure now where can I find asmoker???? Thanks for your help

Old 05-02-2010, 08:42 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master

Originally Posted by chasswartz
It sounds like you did everything right, however if your only getting 50psi compression something is wrong. Can you spin the pushrods when your on base circle of the cam? Are both cylinder pressures the same-50psi?
Yes I could spin the lifters on base circle.Yes both cylinders were 50 psi so I am sure it had to be something with the timing. Tore it all apart and redid it all could not find anything wrong though is the bummer. Will finish it up tomorrow night and see what happens thanks for your help if have anymore keep em coming.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:59 AM
White Knight 04
Road Master

Sent you a PM hope it helps....

Old 05-03-2010, 05:14 AM
VETERAN75
Road Warrior

watching this one. My suggestions were already mentioned. Hope you find it and fix it soon.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RED ALAERT Cam Swap Help Please@#$%!!!