Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kiwi Boot Polish for leather saddlebags?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 06:18 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Kiwi Boot Polish for leather saddlebags?

I just washed down the RKC's bags and I'm waiting for them to dry. I was planning on hitting them with Kiwi Boot Polish, applied with a bristle-brush and then a polishing cloth. In the mean time, I thought I'd run the idea up the flagpole here and see if anyone salutes it.

Comments, recommendations, warnings, etc.? T-I-A.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:23 PM
QQVEPY
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It works great on all kinds of leather products. It can be quite labor intensive with something the size as saddle bags. When in boot camp, we had to use the neutral Kiwi to wax our floors.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:57 PM
kbarreraj
Intermediate

my girl had the idea for our work boots and we mix kiwi black and huberds shoe grease together not only does it shine but waterproofs and conditions also....

Old 05-02-2010, 06:58 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, the bags are dry and I see no negatives...gonna have at it with the Kiwi. I'll add an update when the results are in.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:58 PM
pbsdaddy
Extreme HDF Member

Received 5,381 Likes on 2,486 Posts

Try Doc Bailey"s. I've seen them selling their stuff at almost every rally I have gone to. It does work, for shoes and boots anyway. It does, as they say, waterproof the leather. It isn't high gloss, but it will bring back the color.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:11 PM
watercop
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Doc Baileys on m RKC bags...works much better than shoe polish as it is an actual dye. Harey has come out with a similar product as well

Old 05-02-2010, 07:21 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife used on her RKC bags yesterday and looks great. I told her just to Pledge mine. More due to late in the evening and we had been working on them all day, me wrenching then her cleaning.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:45 PM
redhwk44
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used Redwing Oil on my RKC. It waterproofed them and made them a deep dark black. No shine but not flat black either. I would worry about all the black polish you will transfer every time you brush up against them. To each their own. Good luck!

Old 05-02-2010, 07:53 PM
bruce sg08
Road Captain

If you read this before you start, hit with bristle brush with kiwi on it, when polishing it out you actually rub it in using water on your rag, keep rag wet just don't drench it to wear it soaks in. Work it in, even spray a little water on the bag this way when done you won't have any that rubs off on anything. Then end with polishing with a pair of your wifes nylons. Dry no water with nylons. Nylons will work great, and can be used by itself down the road to just buff back to a shine. Labor intensive for sure but will look nice and hold for a good while.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:52 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Kiwi is good for your leather bags. I used to use it all the time on my Boss Bags. In fact, they came with a tin of Kiwi shoe polish. All I ever did was use the small round brush to apply the polish and then the big brush to work it into a nice shine.

Quick Reply: Kiwi Boot Polish for leather saddlebags?