Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide Air Suspension Question

Old 05-04-2010, 07:34 PM
MrsDowFire
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Street Glide Air Suspension Question

Looking at a 2008 Street Glide that the person has "slammed". He is utilizing a regular shock not the air shocks. Is this okay or bad? Not sure if I am using the right language or not.

Will I want the air shocks back on? What would the cost to do that be?

Thanks for the help.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:35 PM
MrsDowFire
Advanced

Also, why would someone do this?

Old 05-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Overdoo
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Streetglide slammed

I have a 08 SG. First of all riding around with your SG slammed is going to get you in trouble. No ground clearance, no shock travel. It's a recipe for disaster not to mention a crappy ride. If they are using a a regular shock I personally think 11" is the shortest you need to go. I ran progressive 11" shocks for a while and they were okay but the ride was a little harsh on the rebound side. Air shocks will let you have some ability to adjust the ride to some degree. I am presently running 10 3/4 Bitchen Bagger shocks and they're great for me because I'm 5'7". Some "Air-Ride shocks like Arnott and Progressive will let you let the bike all the way down for a slammed appearance but it really isn't meant to be ridden that way. If you are short it really helps to have the bike as low as possible for maneuvering in the garage, backing up, and times where you have to just move the bike around. Riding with the bike slammed and no air in those suspension set ups is terrible to say the least. Bitchen Baggers make cut down shocks for 275.00 if you buy a set. Air rides like Arnott start around 800.00 I think. You can buy stock air shocks on the forum some times for around 100.00 or try e-bay. Will you want them??? Only you'll be able to decide that. I have had all three and for my style of riding I am happy where I am right now. Hope that helps.

Last edited by Overdoo; 05-04-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:45 AM
MrsDowFire
Advanced

Thanks for your reply. Yes it helps some. I really don't know what the person did so I guess I am wondering what I need to find out from him. I gather i should find out the name of the shocks he used to replace the original ones and then call Harley and ask them about it. This person is short so I think that's why he did whatever it is he did to the shocks. He also replaced the original seat with a HD badlander seat to lower some more. Is there any other questions I should ask about the shocks? He also put custom wheels on the bike but didn't change the size from the original size that the 2008 comes with.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:56 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

StreetGlides come stock with 12" shocks measured from the center of the top shock bolt to the center of the bottom shock bolt. Do some measuring and you'll find the length of the shocks the previous owner installed. A non-air assist shock works great on that bike and is normally a huge improvement over the stock set-up. A super short shock (10.5' or 11") will lower the bike but the trade-off is a much harsher ride.
If you replace them get the longest shocks that allow you to ride and steady the bike safely. Some have even installed 13" shocks (stock on Electra Glides) to improve ride and ground clearance.
Good Luck and Happy Riding

Old 05-05-2010, 10:15 AM
oldbiker771
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried shortys on my FLH, the lost clnc and harsh ride were too poor a trade off, went back to 13 inchers. If you want to keep stock shocks, a cheaper way is the laydown kit, it moves the bottom back an inch or so, lowering the ride. I have a short leg, but I just got used to toeing it instead of lowering it. Some of the aftermarket air shocks listed above are advantageous, because you can mount the ride height switch close by, and with the onboard compressor, lower it to ride in town, parades, parking lots, etc, and then quickley raise it for clnc when you hit the road.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:15 AM
Overdoo
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MrsDowFire
Thanks for your reply. Yes it helps some. I really don't know what the person did so I guess I am wondering what I need to find out from him. I gather i should find out the name of the shocks he used to replace the original ones and then call Harley and ask them about it. This person is short so I think that's why he did whatever it is he did to the shocks. He also replaced the original seat with a HD badlander seat to lower some more. Is there any other questions I should ask about the shocks? He also put custom wheels on the bike but didn't change the size from the original size that the 2008 comes with.
I would ask the kind of shocks you have on there for sure. Or take a picture of them and I'm sure we'll figure it out. A Badlander seat will lower your seating position too. Look your comfort is going to be one of the biggest aspects of this bike. Get whatever you need to make that work. It sounds like your thinking of buying this bike. Find out as much as you can about it that's most improtant to make an educated decision on the purchase.

Last edited by Overdoo; 05-05-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:13 PM
MrsDowFire
Advanced

Okay...here is what I found out. This is everything he put on the bike. He did not lower the front end is what I am told. Is that okay or bad? And yes, I am almost ready to close the deal so I am trying to do all the homework I can.

Extra parts: chrome slotted wheels (front & back), painted inner farring, hog tunes speakers, chrome levers, chrome front end, chrome front brake disc, spacers, badlander seat, progressive 440 chrome coil rear shocks, chrome adjustable highway pegs, matching chrome passenger pegs, smoked side farring wind deflectors, front deflector chrome trim, signal visors(front & rear), chrome rear belt guard, screaming eagle air cleaner kit (k&n lifetime filter) Vance & Hines pipes (big radius) Vance & Hines tuner, chrome bag latch inserts, screaming eagle tear drop air cleaner cover, battery tender, chrome grips, quick release gas lid, chrome headbolt covers, chrome fuel fitting cover. As far as the shocks go he told me I can put the standard size air shocks back on it any time if I want and that the shocks I have on it will have no bearing on changing em back.

Thanks so much for all of your help everyone.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:02 PM
MrsDowFire
Advanced

need to bump...

Old 05-05-2010, 09:06 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 306 Likes on 178 Posts

He did not lower the front end is what I am told. Is that okay or bad?
OK, not a problem.

As far as the shocks go he told me I can put the standard size air shocks back on it any time if I want and that the shocks I have on it will have no bearing on changing em back.

Thanks so much for all of your help everyone.
If he is including the stock shocks he took off don't worry about it. Ride it for a while then put the stock shocks on and try them. It isn't hard to change out shocks.
One disadvantage to air shocks is the possibility of a leak.
IMO the progressives are probably a better shock and the bike looks better lowered. Taller shocks would give better ride quality and clearance (especially cornering).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Street Glide Air Suspension Question