Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any ideas to make more room for passenger?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 10:27 AM
06GliderGuy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any ideas to make more room for passenger?

Just got my new to me Street Glide a week ago. I have now bought a Sundowner seat and Streamline passenger floorboards in an attempt to make the Mrs more comfortable, and she still hates the feel of it. My previous bike was a Road Star and had all kinds of room. This on the other hand seems cramped for her.

What else can I do to increase her comfort , ideally sliding the whole backrest assembly back a few inches. I am 6'1 250 lbs and she is 5'9'' 155 lbs. There has to be some mod to fix this problem.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:41 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

get rid of your seat and get a seat off a 08 or 09 roadglide.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:43 AM
CT 06 glide
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

couldn't agree more, get rid of that seat.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:48 AM
bob2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

We came off a 06 Gold Wing the Autumn of 06 so she was spoiled to say the least,we tried a couple HD seats but IMHO they sucked,Myers Day-Long or Diamond customs seats work very well,had both so I speak from a lot of miles on both.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:49 AM
hawkeyestoob
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 06GliderGuy
I have now bought a Sundowner seat
He has the seat taken care of.

I am curious as well if anyone has come up with a way to move the riders back rest to the rear by an inch or so. That would make a huge difference I think.

Craig

Old 05-08-2010, 11:01 AM
06GliderGuy
Tourer

Just put the floorboard extensions on last night. I already had one side extended out to accomadate my supercharger, but now should be good. And yes we are fine with the seat. Just looking for a way to slide the detachable passenger backrest back a bit.

On a side note, is there a way to slide the driver floorboard forward a couple inches also?

Old 05-08-2010, 11:30 AM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 06GliderGuy
Just put the floorboard extensions on last night. I already had one side extended out to accomadate my supercharger, but now should be good. And yes we are fine with the seat. Just looking for a way to slide the detachable passenger backrest back a bit.

On a side note, is there a way to slide the driver floorboard forward a couple inches also?
Never seen anything for the backrest problem, to move it back, other than having one custom made. One thing you could try, is have a pad made thats thinner. HDs pads are pretty thick, im sure you could shave an inch off the depth and still be ok comfort wise if you use good foam. Even half an inch can make a big difference. The Sundowner you have (Im assuming you have a 2006 bike) unfortunately does not have a lot of room for the passenger. I had one, and the rear accommodations are pretty small, both in width and front to back. (the 08-later sundowner is much better for passengers)

See this link to how it compares to other seats:

http://home.comcast.net/~kceder/seats/seats.html

As far as the floorboards, I have always run the pans that move them forward an inch, which you can now get in the streamliner shape. (dammit, why didn't they do that two years ago!)

They help, but I also wish they were about 2" further forward, rather than the 1" they are.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

I would also suggests floorboard spacers, which move them OUT about an inch. Between the two, you should pick up some more leg room.

Last edited by flyingace; 05-08-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:41 AM
06GliderGuy
Tourer

Thanks for the links. The backrest issue is the biggest problem right now. I want to try to find a way to build out the front end of thebackrest upright (the slotted side), and drill new hole in the back mounting position.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:33 PM
TheBagger
Road Master

I looked into moving my backrest back and couldn't come up with anything easy. There was a company making a backrest that moved the passenger back and I emailed them a couple weeks ago but they discontinued that backrest. I have a tall upright coming that should help a little and I'm seriously thinking about modifying it and having it re-chromed after I'm done. I have no idea why Harley engineered these touring detachable backrests with the passenger so far forward??

I got spoiled when I recently tried out a Ultra Classic with the wife, now we hate the passenger position on our Road King.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:23 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I posted this on the OP's other thread

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...est-a-bit.html

This made a lot of difference for the passenger. It doesn't seem like much but the difference is night and day for her.

Just add another hole centered between the two already existing on the bracket.

Attached Thumbnails Any ideas to make more room for passenger?-photo-1.jpg   Any ideas to make more room for passenger?-photo-2.jpg   Any ideas to make more room for passenger?-photo-3.jpg  

Quick Reply: Any ideas to make more room for passenger?