Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best route from Sturgis to Yellowstone

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 04:12 PM
bunotz
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Best route from Sturgis to Yellowstone

I am looking for a good route from Sturgis to Yellowstone and a nice place to stay on the east side of Yellowstone. Any recommendations??

Old 05-11-2010, 04:59 PM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

Well back in 04 we ran this as part of our trip from Ohio. From Sturgis we went up and saw Devils tower, passed thru Gillette, into Sheridan were we spent the night, over the Bighorns (great ride) and onto Red Lodge, where we spent the night. From Red Lodge we went over Bear Tooth (a dont miss ride) and into Cooke City. At this point you are just about at NE entrance to Yellowstone. We did lunch in Cooke City but backtracked to Chief Joseph Highway (another outstanding ride) and took this into Cody, where we spent the night. Plenty of hotels and food there. From there you can ride into Yellowstone. I have the exact routes saved but dunno where at the moment. Let me know if ya cant find any of this on a map.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:12 PM
bosco 09
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good info, thanks.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:16 PM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 05-11-2010, 08:04 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by 103Eagle
Well back in 04 we ran this as part of our trip from Ohio. From Sturgis we went up and saw Devils tower, passed thru Gillette, into Sheridan were we spent the night, over the Bighorns (great ride) and onto Red Lodge, where we spent the night. From Red Lodge we went over Bear Tooth (a dont miss ride) and into Cooke City. At this point you are just about at NE entrance to Yellowstone. We did lunch in Cooke City but backtracked to Chief Joseph Highway (another outstanding ride) and took this into Cody, where we spent the night. Plenty of hotels and food there. From there you can ride into Yellowstone. I have the exact routes saved but dunno where at the moment. Let me know if ya cant find any of this on a map.
+1 done that ride in 2007 just have a reservation or arrive early in Red Lodge or might have trouble finding a place to stay some times.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:10 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

once you get close to wyoming get to hiway 24 and do the devils tower. this is a nice ride. once on I-90 go as fast a you can to just north of sheridan. the take hiway 14 over the bighorn mountains. this ride will surprise you for it's beauty. there was some road work on this road last september. doubt if it is complete but it is still nice. we took 14 south into greybull, but i would recommend 14 alt to lovell. we spent the nite in cody. one day from deadwood to cody is a full day. cody has a nice gun museum if your into guns. easy ride from cody to the park. only ate dinner in red lodge, but the town looked interesting with some charm. beartooth is a must but we got a little snow in july/08. you can have a snowball fight at the summit in july. never stayed east of the park, always west yellowstone, mt. this town is a little pricey. cody, wy is a nice town, stayed downtown in old hotel across from the harley dealership. need reservations. watch out for suicidal antelope all across wyoming. have a nice trip.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:16 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by jmorganroadglide
once you get close to wyoming get to hiway 24 and do the devils tower. this is a nice ride. once on I-90 go as fast a you can to just north of sheridan. the take hiway 14 over the bighorn mountains. this ride will surprise you for it's beauty. there was some road work on this road last september. doubt if it is complete but it is still nice. we took 14 south into greybull, but i would recommend 14 alt to lovell. we spent the nite in cody. one day from deadwood to cody is a full day. cody has a nice gun museum if your into guns. easy ride from cody to the park. only ate dinner in red lodge, but the town looked interesting with some charm. beartooth is a must but we got a little snow in july/08. you can have a snowball fight at the summit in july. never stayed east of the park, always west yellowstone, mt. this town is a little pricey. cody, wy is a nice town, stayed downtown in old hotel across from the harley dealership. need reservations. watch out for suicidal antelope all across wyoming. have a nice trip.
This is the exact route we took to Yellowstone after Sturgis last year. I was surprised at how many of the roads through the mountains were torn up, some of it was darn near treacherous on a bike! I was also surprised that it took us a full day to get to Cody, it didn't look that far on the map! You WILL want to ride the Chief Joseph and Bear Tooth, amazing scenery! We did it twice while we were out there.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:03 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We left Sturgis around 7am went into Montana and headed west to Billings, went through Red Lodge, Bear Tooth pass and the the second town after Bear Tooth pass was Silver Gate if I recall and Its right at the North entrance to Yellowstone.

Anyhow, we stayed in a ***** house right there in the middle of Silver Gate. No bullshit, we took a step back in time about 100 years, the rooms were cheap just a bed, a night stand and a light. Community shower was good enough. Kinda neat each door had a wooden plaque with the girls name from back in the day.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:19 PM
rapz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In '08 we rode from Deadwood to Cody and stayed at Holiday Inn then on to Cooke City then to the NW corner of Yellowstone where we camped out. Plan on getting to campsite early enough to find a campsite. It's crowded in July/August.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:32 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Whatever route you take, these are the must....1. Beartooth Pass 2. Redlodge 3. Chief Joesph pass 4. Cody (The Irma Hotel for Prime Rib Buffet, Best in the west) and then roll right into East Yellowstone from Cody.

Quick Reply: Best route from Sturgis to Yellowstone