Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD XM Radio Module (P/N 76404-06)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 05:06 PM
ftzoid
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sound quality?

Would you guys say that the sound quality is equal to or better than that of playing a CD? The reason that I ask is that I've heard people complaining about the quality of music while playing their Ipod or MP3 player. And I would have to say that when playing a CD vs over the air radio, the CD player kicks butt over the radio. Would hate to drop 500 plus on the upgrade for less than decent sound. Thanks.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:21 AM
tincup64
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

watching

Old 10-02-2010, 07:57 AM
timbo141
Road Warrior
Received 221 Likes on 159 Posts

A CD is uncompressed music, XM is compressed. So XM will not sound as good as a CD. I could really tell a difference with my stock and Hog Tunes speakers (no amp)

I changed my speakers to Hawg Wired with the Double Shot system which came with new grills with tweeters in them and I think the XM sound after updating is pretty darn close to CDs.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:37 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't want to rain on any parades, but I would do some research on how much longer XM is expected to be around before I sank hundreds of bucks into a module for my radio. If you like XM that's fine, but understand that as a viable business, free internet radio (Pandora, AOLRadio, etc) is kicking its ***. At most, if it were me I would get an inexpensive XM portable receiver that plugs into the aux jack, not an expensive addon to the radio.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:22 AM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharknose
I don't want to rain on any parades, but I would do some research on how much longer XM is expected to be around before I sank hundreds of bucks into a module for my radio. If you like XM that's fine, but understand that as a viable business, free internet radio (Pandora, AOLRadio, etc) is kicking its ***. At most, if it were me I would get an inexpensive XM portable receiver that plugs into the aux jack, not an expensive addon to the radio.
+1

I have an Android phone. I got a 6ft male to male 3.5mm stereo jack, pluged it into the stock radio, ran it through my RG faring through a hole in the faring bracket and then drilled a hole in the back of the left glove box so I could put my phone in the glove box and stream Pandora radio through my stock stereo. I also put it in the left glove box so i could use the 12v power outlet to keep my phone charged on long rides by using a car charger instead of killing my cell phone battery.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:49 PM
ftzoid
Tourer
Default Pandora

Originally Posted by sonar_chris
+1

I have an Android phone. I got a 6ft male to male 3.5mm stereo jack, pluged it into the stock radio, ran it through my RG faring through a hole in the faring bracket and then drilled a hole in the back of the left glove box so I could put my phone in the glove box and stream Pandora radio through my stock stereo. I also put it in the left glove box so i could use the 12v power outlet to keep my phone charged on long rides by using a car charger instead of killing my cell phone battery.
Isn't Pandora great! That's probably a cheap way to get started, and I actually subscribe to Pandora (paid), so no commercials.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:25 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sonar_chris
+1

That's what I mean. Once people see all the choices that are available free through a 3G phone, they're having trouble justifying paying for satellite radio. I don't mean to hijack the thread, I'm just saying that you might want to give it some thought before laying out hundreds of dollars for gear that will be useless if XM goes out of business.

Last edited by Sharknose; 10-02-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:42 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

exactly my thought...aside from the music player ( streamed or files in memory) recent smartphones can replace GPS units and services.

I do like my xm and will take my current handlebar mounted unit from old bike to new bike- and plug it in the front.
I have the old ( 2002) skyfi unit and often use the remote control to change channels.

...and I'll run my ipod into the front as well.

went to Demo days at the dealer today, found a CVO and plugged in my ipod to the saddlebag...it was cool but in a few minutes I couldn't easily find and play a specific track.
The ipod's own interface is pretty easy to use. and I can do stuff by feel pretty good

Mike

Old 10-04-2010, 02:16 PM
ftzoid
Tourer

Originally Posted by mkguitar
exactly my thought...aside from the music player ( streamed or files in memory) recent smartphones can replace GPS units and services.

I do like my xm and will take my current handlebar mounted unit from old bike to new bike- and plug it in the front.
I have the old ( 2002) skyfi unit and often use the remote control to change channels.

...and I'll run my ipod into the front as well.

went to Demo days at the dealer today, found a CVO and plugged in my ipod to the saddlebag...it was cool but in a few minutes I couldn't easily find and play a specific track.
The ipod's own interface is pretty easy to use. and I can do stuff by feel pretty good

Mike
Smart phone's might offer a certain competitive edge regarding satellite radio; however, actual GPS has the advantage of direct satellite connection, where as you're at the mercy of cell phone tower proximity when it comes to GPS instruction.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:45 AM
sageone
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep, agree. The GPS on my BB is adequate in an emergency, but there is no way that I could rely on it full time. Too slow and the screen is way too small. Bought the Zumo 660.

Quick Reply: HD XM Radio Module (P/N 76404-06)