Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder cut out when hot

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 08:42 AM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default 08

Originally Posted by Raptor1956
The 09 has the heat management feature that you can turn off and on as you desire. It is an option for 08 and 07 that needed to be programed in. If you have an 09 I suggest you take the time to read your owners manual. If your dealer told you it was an option for 09 you might want to consider looking for a new dealer. Take a rain day and read your owners manual it will answer all of your questions about your bike.
My 2008 heat management can be turned on or off. It has never been programmed. As I said before, the early 08's may have to be programmed but the ones built in 2008 can be turned off.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:24 AM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rkoivisto
My 2008 heat management can be turned on or off. It has never been programmed. As I said before, the early 08's may have to be programmed but the ones built in 2008 can be turned off.
You are correct, My 08UC was built in oct 07 and I had to have the ECM flashed for this feature. I have never turned it off since. It comes on every once in awhile when I'm stuck in traffic during the summer. I just leave it on to let the ECM do the thinking for Me.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:43 AM
lock55
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an early 08, it had to be programed (stayed on all the time). I didn't have the ability to turn it off and on until I installed cruse control. Not sure if the its the same with newer models. I live in Las Vegas so comes on a lot. I have had the bike stall a few times when I turn to throttle to disengage it.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:46 AM
swoopjr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So how do you turn it off and on? I didn't get a manual with the bike.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:26 PM
cajunfla
Tourer

Originally Posted by swoopjr
So how do you turn it off and on? I didn't get a manual with the bike.
Roll (and hold) the throttle forward from 'hands off' idle, watching for a temporary green light on your speedometer ( I think thats where it is) to come on. The light is shaped like a miniature speedometer. To turn off, do same thing and the green light comes on again and turns red.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:27 PM
heywood727
Road Master

Ok here's the deal on the 08's
Any touring fbw built after Dec.07 has the ability to engage the cylinder cut off. Page 149 of the 08 Manuel if I remember.
Mine can't be done on the fly. Turn the bike ignition to the start position. Roll the throttle back past closed and hold for a few seconds. If the cruise indicator glows red, it's disabled. When it glows green, it's enabled.
Any bike built before Dec. 07 can get it flashed for free once to enable/disable it.
On the 09's and newer, some have told me that you can turn the system on while the
bike is running. It's not an "On Demand" deal. The bike still has to be in those perameters (279*F at the heads and zero throttle position) for it to kick on.

I still think it's the same as my 08.

Last edited by heywood727; 05-16-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:43 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lock55
I have an early 08, it had to be programed (stayed on all the time). I didn't have the ability to turn it off and on until I installed cruse control. Not sure if the its the same with newer models. I live in Las Vegas so comes on a lot. I have had the bike stall a few times when I turn to throttle to disengage it.
Try cracking the throttle (quick on/off rev) before letting out the clutch at a stop light; this will send fuel and ”wake up” the rear cylinder that was shut down when the ETIMS activated and should eliminate stalling when taking off.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:01 PM
swoopjr
Tourer

Originally Posted by cajunfla
Roll (and hold) the throttle forward from 'hands off' idle, watching for a temporary green light on your speedometer ( I think thats where it is) to come on. The light is shaped like a miniature speedometer. To turn off, do same thing and the green light comes on again and turns red.

Thanks

Old 05-16-2010, 06:32 PM
Navy Mustang
Road Master
Received 304 Likes on 116 Posts

It works just as advertised. Whether you have the engine running or not,just roll the throttle all the forward and hold for 3 to 5 seconds. The cruise control like on your tach will change from green to red (or vice versa) to signal that the system is either active or inactive. Try it.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:22 AM
txrancher47
Cruiser

Mine cuts out in the Texas heat...

Quick Reply: Cylinder cut out when hot