Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder cut out when hot

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 05:41 PM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Read your owner's manual. It explains how it works.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:26 PM
rdglider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shortride
My '09 Ultra Classic has that option but I was told by the service department that the ECU had to be programmed to do that. Did you request that or did you buy your scooter already setup to shut down the rear cylinder?
I have it on my 09 Road Glide. To turn it on or to shut it off you just turn the throttle away from you and watch for the green light to come on to show its armed...

Old 07-05-2012, 09:49 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,188 Likes on 2,455 Posts

Originally Posted by shortride
My '09 Ultra Classic has that option but I was told by the service department that the ECU had to be programmed to do that. Did you request that or did you buy your scooter already setup to shut down the rear cylinder?
Originally Posted by Dionicio
My understanding is that 08's and earlier have to be programed, later models are already promgramed for this option.
early model 08s and earlier had to be flashed for this option. i forget where in the production cycle they changed this, but later model 08s and newer can be enabled by the operator.

Originally Posted by mazman
mine is a very early 09, and has NEVER come on. I roll the thtrottle up, green light blinks, but does NOT come on. I've had dealers tell me its not hot enough, I beg to differ. I almost have to get off bike in traffic! All I have is SE breather, Fuel pak, Rinehart slip ons. Help!!!
all the operator can do is enable/disable this function. you can not make the eitms activate. that is controlled by the ecm under a certain set of parameters, ie. engine at idle, throttle at idle position, cylinder head temp >285*, and mph less than 1-2 mph. if you do not meet any one of the criteria, it will not activate.

Last edited by skratch; 07-05-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:30 AM
99%er
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With the high heat in the northeast recently mine has kicked into air pump mode while stopped at traffic lights fairly frequently. I really dont care for it. It makes me miss my EVO even more.
Curious, is there an oil cooler made that is effective enough to prevent these things from going into air pump mode??
Any anecdotal or objective data available?
ps not into adding fans so not an option.

Last edited by 99%er; 07-06-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:50 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,188 Likes on 2,455 Posts

Originally Posted by 99%er
With the high heat in the northeast recently mine has kicked into air pump mode while stopped at traffic lights fairly frequently. I really dont care for it. It makes me miss my EVO even more.
Curious, is there an oil cooler made that is effective enough to prevent these things from going into air pump mode??
Any anecdotal or objective data available?
ps not into adding fans so not an option.
while an oil cooler is always a good idea, there is not one that will keep you from entering eitms. the eitms is based on cylinder head temp, not oil temp.

what is it about eitms that you don't care for? it's barely noticeable when it happens, and as soon as you give it throttle, it goes away.....

Old 07-06-2012, 09:53 PM
99%er
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
while an oil cooler is always a good idea, there is not one that will keep you from entering eitms. the eitms is based on cylinder head temp, not oil temp.

what is it about eitms that you don't care for? it's barely noticeable when it happens, and as soon as you give it throttle, it goes away.....
Having cooler oil will certainly reduce overall engine temp but agree probably not enough to prevent EITMS.
I dont really have anything against EITMS per se but it is more than barely noticable as you describe. I think however this mentality of if 88" is good 96" has to be great and if 96" is great 103" must be unbelievable engineering / marketing approach is the problem. Dont get me wrong I really enjoy my RK and I am not looking to change up but my 1340 EVO bikes NEVER needed fans or cylinders turning into air pumps etc. Just sayin......

Old 07-06-2012, 10:48 PM
jeg1
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 99%er
Having cooler oil will certainly reduce overall engine temp but agree probably not enough to prevent EITMS.
I dont really have anything against EITMS per se but it is more than barely noticable as you describe. I think however this mentality of if 88" is good 96" has to be great and if 96" is great 103" must be unbelievable engineering / marketing approach is the problem. Dont get me wrong I really enjoy my RK and I am not looking to change up but my 1340 EVO bikes NEVER needed fans or cylinders turning into air pumps etc. Just sayin......
Your EVO wasn't as lean back then to meet EPA

Old 07-07-2012, 08:19 AM
dd4lifeusmc
6th Gear

HD has been doing this for several years. You can also have the engine retuned to run a little richer.
And add the oil cooler to help dissipate some of the heat.
They even have a fan you can add to motor to help circulate air when in slow traffic.
But the real change is HD needs to quit whipping the aircooled dead horse.
They need to change to the liquid cooled like in the Vrod. It has more torque and HP out of the box than the tc88 with less cubes. and runs cooler

Old 07-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I do not know about cooler. My friends water cooled bike is just as hot at my air cooled bike. Sure engine is running cooler, but passenger isn't.

Last edited by Airborne350G; 07-08-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:59 PM
drtbkkar
Novice

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
It's a feature, not a problem.
abollully, drtbkkar