Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder cut out when hot

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 10:20 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cylinder cut out when hot

We took a trip down to New Orleans and rode down Bourbon street at a crawl. I heard the motor change sound and I could tell that one cylinder was not firing. As soon as I came off idle the everything went back to normal.

It was a hot day and I assume that this was the ECM shutting down one cylinder because of the heat.

Anyone else had the happen?

It kind of freaked me out at first but we rode the 600 miles home without a problem.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:39 AM
ggiles98541@sbcglobal.net
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, I had this happen in Gatlinburg Tn. I came back home and asked the dealer if I needed to put a oil cooler on, he said no the bike was designed to do that.

Glenn

Old 05-15-2010, 10:44 AM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,729 Likes on 1,302 Posts

You can disable the system if you want easily ( owners manual), I leave mine enabled in the summer it goes to 1 cylinder often at lights

Old 05-15-2010, 10:45 AM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by harley-jones
We took a trip down to New Orleans and rode down Bourbon street at a crawl. I heard the motor change sound and I could tell that one cylinder was not firing. As soon as I came off idle the everything went back to normal.

It was a hot day and I assume that this was the ECM shutting down one cylinder because of the heat.

It kind of freaked me out at first but we rode the 600 miles home without a problem.
Yep the heat management system works that way. When cylinder head temps rise to 278 deg, the rear cyl fuel inj. is shut off, and helps to cool off the engine, as the rear cyl functions as an air pump. Ps: I leave mine Enabled all the time. Good Insurance to keep My engine from overheating.

Last edited by Dionicio; 05-15-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:46 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by harley-jones

My '09 Ultra Classic has that option but I was told by the service department that the ECU had to be programmed to do that. Did you request that or did you buy your scooter already setup to shut down the rear cylinder?

Old 05-15-2010, 10:52 AM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bikes
My '09 Ultra Classic has that option but I was told by the service department that the ECU had to be programmed to do that. Did you request that or did you buy your scooter already setup to shut down the rear cylinder?
My understanding is that 08's and earlier have to be programed, later models are already promgramed for this option.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:58 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bikes
No..I never requested it. The bike has been dyno tuned with the SE race tuner. I guess the tech that tuned it must have set it up.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:02 AM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default rear jug cut off

The 08's do it too. I don't think you can shut the feature off on the early ones.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:14 AM
Raptor1956
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 09 has the heat management feature that you can turn off and on as you desire. It is an option for 08 and 07 that needed to be programed in. If you have an 09 I suggest you take the time to read your owners manual. If your dealer told you it was an option for 09 you might want to consider looking for a new dealer. Take a rain day and read your owners manual it will answer all of your questions about your bike.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:36 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

It's a feature, not a problem.

Quick Reply: Cylinder cut out when hot