Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What type of big bore kit???

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 05:04 PM
vanman59
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question What type of big bore kit???

I have been trying to figure out what to do with my 2010 Ultra Classic. I want to either go with a 107 or a 103. Here is what I have looked at. I am at a loss there are too many choices. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Harley Davidson Stage IV kit: You can get it for a little over $2000 at Chicago Harley Davidson. The one thing I don't like is the torque curve starts out pretty low, not much better than stock but the Horsepower is up there pretty high. I talked with my dealer and he said I could swap out the 260 cam for a 259E cam (the 259E cam is in the stage III kit). What I like about the screamin eagle kit is that you get the heads with ACR holes already, bigger throttle body and injectors, super tuner, and new clutch spring. It seems to be a pretty complete kit.

GMR Performance 07 & up power pack 107 $1,995.95: This is CNC porting your heads.This kit with the flat top piston will yield 10.1 compression based on stock cc volume. Compression can be raised or lowered if you so desire. 10.1 Forged CP pistons with rings, clips and pins. Several chain drive cams to choose. Complete MLS top end gasket kit.• Stage III CNC-Cutting your heads. New guides tapered and diamond honed.• New viton seals.• New Ferrea 1.9 intake valve.• New Manley 1.625 exhaust valves cut down ( that allows a 80% margin= great for flow) full radius valve job. Milled to CC needed for compression based on cam choice.• New springs and set to correct seat pressure cam chosen. Machine and install compression release's ( comp release's are extra cost 79.95).• GMR custom made chromemoly 3/8 adjustable pushrods ( these are not quick install, if you want a quick install type please specify at time of ordering).Pushrod cover kit is 67.95

REV PERF Stage 1 Twin Cam 107 cid Bolt-On Engine Kit 07-up $2600: Customer supplied cylinder heads. Throttle Body not included. 99-up Twin Cam Stage 2 CNC Portwork. 07-up Twin Cam 107 cid FT. 99-up Twin Cam Full Gear Set. 37G CAM .510" Lift Twin Cam TR525 chain. Hydro-Rev™ Lifters. 99-up Twin Cam 95EST TE Set. I think this means you get your heads ported, the REV PERF cylinders, a TR 525 cam, new lifters.

Head Quarters 107" Sport Touring Performance Package $2640 (add $65 for ACRs): Complete headwork with bigger valves and ported, machined for manual compression releases, cylinder honing and boring, forged pistons, HQ575 cams, Black ops lifters, gaskets, etc,

Old 05-15-2010, 08:11 PM
rock92
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

depends on what your expectations are, ie significant bump in performance or maximizing the potential of a 103/106/107 build. you may be disappointed with the se kit as it probably won't have the low end humph that you need for your bike. you will also have to seperately purchase the acr harness and dealer time to turn them on. an expensive option when compared to $95 manual releases. in line with your expectations is how much do you want to spend. here is another option for you:

s&s 106 kit (cylinders and forged flat top pistons), t-man stage 2 pro-touring heads set at 10.5:1, hpi boring your throttle body, bigger injectors, t-man 590 cam or 625 w/roller rockers (+$425) for about $2700

im right down the road, holler if you want to talk or need help.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:39 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Our of those I choose HQ. Check out Axtell too. I like their stuff. http://www.axtellsales.com/

Old 05-15-2010, 09:24 PM
DoobieBrother
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also in your price comparison, add in labor cost and any associated warranties you may or may not get...unless of course you're planning to DIY.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:01 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Each kit is a little different. A well prepped 103-107 will run just fine on the stock throttle body and injectors and the gains made by working them at this level are minimal. Headwork and exhaust will make the biggest difference in the builds if using comparable cams. Keep asking questions, and reading. You will eventually find what you will determine to be the right build for your riding style. Personally, I prefer HQ and have done many HQ builds, 95, 107 and 120's.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:05 PM
ranger56528
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Iam big on S&S when it comes to motor mods....Go 106....

Old 05-16-2010, 05:03 PM
vanman59
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Want to get over 100 HP and 100 FT Lbs of Torque.

I ride a lot in the mountains two up and need more torque to pull the mountains and to get more power out of lower rpms. I find myself riding and run out of rpm when going around some curves unless I shift gears and I really don't like to shift in a curve. Of course I would like to be able to wind it out too. I also do a fair amount of long distance riding. I just got back from AZ/NM a few weeks ago. I did my 5K service before I left and when I got back two weeks later did my 10K service. I rode from Midland NC to Pheonix Az in 36 hrs, on the way back I took my time and went through eastern Az and NM, even rode on Rte 66.

I'm not dead set on any particular brand or manufacturer. I am really looking for the best I can get for the money. I had planned on building it myself, it's basically just swapping parts. I am not solid on any after market tuner either but am leaning towards the TTS or SERT. I may even decide on a tuning system that can auto tune.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:12 PM
VETERAN75
Road Warrior

Depends on how long you are willing to wait for the kits also. I ordered from HQ last weekend and they are running 6-8 weeks out. I'm going 107ST if you want to check it out after it's done we'll work out a meet. I am just across the border in SC. Actually came thru midland today making way my home from Greensboro.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:08 PM
SethLee11
Cruiser

I'm running the s&s 106" with 583's and ported and polished heads and roller rockers, she pulls very hard. My builder rode it last weekend after about 3000 miles of break in and he described my bike as crazy fast. Recommend to anyone looking to make significant power gains. Putting a barnett clutch in was key also. I have spend around 5000 on all my work, so good luck keeping prices low.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:28 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

I was just talking to an hd dealer that does there own in house build.The conversation in breif was hq575 cams,acr+harness,there own heads,cylinders,valves..ect worked? 103ci,rhinehart td included.I would send my tb to be worked on and ecm to get a flash from a doner bike...

aprox cost 5,400. ? is this high? what questions to ask?

Attached Thumbnails What type of big bore kit???-herculesdyno.jpg  

Last edited by voodoodrug; 05-19-2010 at 11:01 PM.

Quick Reply: What type of big bore kit???