Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uncomfortable on new ultra

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 05:14 PM
Powder Horn
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Uncomfortable on new ultra

Even after spending $500 on a Harley backrest I can't get comfortable on this bike. My back, mostly upper, and shoulders ache after a few miles. I've rode bikes for years and never had this prob lem before. It feals like I am reaching for the handle bars. I am 5-11 and 180 lbs and my feet can sit flat on the pavement no problem. Before I waste more money does anyone else have this problem or a solution for it. Thanks.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:18 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

New bars that are taller and don't cause you to reach and or lean over like the stock ones seem to be doing.

Drew

Old 08-30-2010, 05:45 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Powder Horn
Even after spending $500 on a Harley backrest I can't get comfortable on this bike. My back, mostly upper, and shoulders ache after a few miles. I've rode bikes for years and never had this prob lem before. It feals like I am reaching for the handle bars. I am 5-11 and 180 lbs and my feet can sit flat on the pavement no problem. Before I waste more money does anyone else have this problem or a solution for it. Thanks.
I've got the same issues with the handlebars on my '09 Ultra Classic. The handlebars don't have enough pull-back. I keep a burning/aching feeling between my shoulders on my back. There are many options for handlebars out there, I just have made the effort to change mine out yet. I wanted to wait until I got a color matched inner fairing and spun aluminum gauges so I can do it all at the same time.

Last edited by shortride; 08-30-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:49 PM
firefighter156
Road Master
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

May want to change your bars. See if you can drive one that someone has already changed to see if you like theirs? Maybe a fellow rider?

Old 08-30-2010, 05:53 PM
patsfan
Road Captain

Sweepers, WO bagger bars, lots of options.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:15 PM
The Old Man
Road Master

My back rest helped me. I have a Mustang one. I get a burning mucle strain on my left side of my spine. After some saddle time i get used to it....

Old 08-30-2010, 06:18 PM
pbsdaddy
Extreme HDF Member

Received 5,381 Likes on 2,486 Posts

This helped me and I'm very close to your size. Remove the lock switch and housing, use a ball socket allen wrench and loosen the bar clamp. Raise the bars as far as they'll go, tighten them down and re-assemble. Seems the guys in the dealer shops like to put the bars down in a very low position.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:31 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

My wife had the same problem with her 2010 SG Trike. I put the 2 inch pullback bars on with a Mustang rider backrest and Kuryakyn LongHorn foot Pegs, Now I can't keep her off it. Loves the way it feels, no more pain in the neck and shoulders. I think it was changing the bars that helped the most.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:22 PM
09 UltraFine
Cruiser

What are the different bar options without changing the cables? I have the same problem at times. Thanks

Old 08-30-2010, 09:05 PM
bamarider
Tourer

Call Mean City Cycles. I sent them my seat and they made the seat to move me closer. Also on the backrest I was able to move it forward and it solved my problem. Call them and tell them your problem.

Quick Reply: Uncomfortable on new ultra