Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fly By Wire Throttle Failures

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 03:47 AM
Watch Guy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Hahahahaha, now that's funny

Originally Posted by thealaskan
Premature throttle failure is usually caused by something she said.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:32 AM
rshwetz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like the EMC needs to be replaces $$$$ warranty ran out 3 weeks ago.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:59 AM
c50plus
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

I had this issue on my uc 08. Went into limp mode in the highway. I was fully loaded with my wife in the back and surrounded by heavy traffic and trucks.
I managed to pull over because of the speed i had. The dealer change the pins in the connector behind the air filter. That was 3k miles ago and no issues so far. The problem is that the connector that came form the factory tends to corrode. So the ecm gets conflicting information from the two hall effect sensors in the throttle and goes into limp mode.

The following users liked this post:
Dew Me (05-15-2017)
Old 05-21-2010, 10:00 AM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rshwetz
Looks like the EMC needs to be replaces $$$$ warranty ran out 3 weeks ago.

Talk to the dealer anyway, it was likely having issues while still in warranty. They be able to cover partially.

I've had auto manufacture cover parts on a vehicle that was at 120K miles and only had 36K warranty. So it never hurts to ask.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:11 PM
White_Desert
5th Gear

I have changed my handlebar and just after I made an accident and hit a car infront of me as the bike was running and no control despite I was pushing the break , is this normal ? my bike is FLRHC 2011. I am new rider and have not much exprIance , for the first moment I thought I was mixed up and pushing both the throttle and the break at the same time. I do not know what really happend ,

Old 03-22-2012, 02:22 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrracer
I have not had a failure yet and it seems that most of the failures I have heard about have been brought about by an install of different handlebars and/or internal wiring that was maybe not done carefully enough.
I have had no problems either and I have swaped handlebars on my RK.....just be careful and use dielectric grease in all connectors.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:28 PM
Jonas
Cruiser

I think the dealers may be throwing parts at this problem. Or throwing BS.

My friend has a 07 Street Glide we were living the next day to ride to Ohio for a Bike Rally(last September). He called me the night before. He bike was throwing codes and in the limp mode. Which really coiuuld have scred up out trip.

I went over to his house afte finding the codes were tbw and limp mode. We just unplugged the connector behind the air cleaner, on and off about five times. Fix it for the whole trip, even got caught in Hurricane Lee on the way home. His bike had aroun 25 K then. It is his only transportation. Has not failed since. Maybe we were just lucky, but if you have the problem try it.

My thinking, Everything the dealer says he replaces to fix it, does not mean anything if remade the connection at that sensor in the process.

It's worth a try if you get stuck

Old 03-22-2012, 02:38 PM
wedjim
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by White_Desert
I have changed my handlebar and just after I made an accident and hit a car infront of me as the bike was running and no control despite I was pushing the break , is this normal ? my bike is FLRHC 2011. I am new rider and have not much exprIance , for the first moment I thought I was mixed up and pushing both the throttle and the break at the same time. I do not know what really happend ,
You probably did keep the throttle on, since the first thing I do when i'm stopping hard is pull in the clutch and start dropping gears, if there is time. Sudden stop, no time to downshift, but the clutch is pulled which would keep the motor from being a factor.

It's not like the toyota issue with auto transmission, which was proven to be false claims from customers by expert engineers in court.

Practice some hard stops in a big empty parking lot if you can. I even locked up the rear tires once or twice it is a little hard on the tire, don't do it for long. But, it's important to know the feel and how to modulate the brakes. Trying it in an empty lot is better then figuring it out in traffic when you need it most.

jmo

Old 03-22-2012, 03:55 PM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rshwetz
Just put in the new TBW sensor in the grip with no change STILL IN LIMP MODE and these codes

P0120 - P0123 - P0220 - P0223 - P1511 - P2135 - P2176.

If anyone can chime in with some help it would ne nice.

Thanks
The throttle plate moves the cursor of a potentiometer. Two signals/voltages side1 of the pot >>cursor and side2 of the pot >>cursor are measured:
P0120=TPS1 range error
P0122=TPS1 low/open
P0123=TPS1 high
P0220=TPS2 range error
P0222=TPS2 low/open
P0223=TPS2 high

P1510=Throttle actuator control limited performance mode
P1511=Throttle actuator control power management mode
P1512=Throttle actuator control forced idle mode

P2135=TPS correlation error

P2176=TAC close position not learned

All this to say you may have a loose connection between the throttle plate motor and the ECM. Check your little connector behind the air cleaner

Old 03-23-2012, 08:16 AM
White_Desert
5th Gear

Many thank for all for your feedback and advice, I will ask the dealer to recheck the throttle connections and I will test it on empty parking lot, although the handlebar was changed by him he will never admit that this was his fault , eventually I have a broken arm and have to change the front fender and the front slider on my expense . I will never know what really happend.

Quick Reply: Fly By Wire Throttle Failures