Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fly By Wire Throttle Failures

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 09:23 AM
Muttleybass
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay... I changed out the connectors, like the bulletin says. That didn't do anything. At first I thought it might be heat as I'd get about 40 miles before the limp mode kicked in.

Yesterday I only got about 2 miles. Limped home. This morning I barely got out of the driveway. I'm starting to get a bit frustrated. The bike is only 4 years old.

Now I read here about how it could be the twist sensor, the green connector in the bars (looks fine, cleaned and greased it), the throttle body itself, a broken wire somewhere, the ECM connections... Basically anything and everything between the grip, ECM, and throttle body.

Before I start randomly replacing crap like the dealer wants, it would be great if somebody had a suggestion that actually made sense. I don't have a ton of money to throw at it.

True, cables can fail, but they're easy to diagnose, cheap and easy to replace. HD's FBW sucks ***.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:43 PM
spike1993
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limp Mode

Originally Posted by smithbrl
I don't know about other manufacturers' TBW but Harley Davidson's sucks. There's too many things that can go wrong. I'll take the cables any day.

Happened to me on Saturday Sept. 20, 14.
This is the worst feeling ever, when the big HD roaring few moments ago, turns into a moped and limps at 30 mph. I got a great help from some brother bikers at the closest gas station and they suggested to disconnect the computer (ECM) for few minutes.
I did, it help for some 5 miles and I'm stuck again. Needless to say was pissed by then. I did the ECM again, no luck. Then I took the right handle apart. Started wiggling all the guts there (I was on a side of the road) and then the miracle happened the engine was running fine again.
Happily got home. Next few days I was riding around town watching the bike. No issues, but I think I saw the 'check the engine' light flashing for a quick moment. Now I'm scared to go anywhere further from home because the bike is not reliable. Agreed, "take the cables any day"
My plan is to use the dielectric grease on both connectors, maybe ECM as well.
Meantime thanks goes to brothers (and sisters) who assisted me at hwy 20/24 near Fenwick On, after Biketoberfest 2014. You know who you are

Old 09-25-2014, 04:31 PM
Dharn55
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Last Monday at the end of a seven day, 2,300 mile trip about 30 miles from home crossing over the Chicago Skyway my 2012 RGU went into limp mode. Did not know what it was at the time and wondered if the TBW had failed. Turned it on and off a couple of times wil no change, then it suddenly came alive again. Made it the rest of the way home with no problems.

Googled harley limp mode and found lots of information on the issue. I haven't had a chance to check any connections, been busy catching up on business that I missed during the trip. We will have to see if it happens again. I know it is not the green connector as I replaced mine TBW with the SE version when I put on my Wild 1's last year.

Cable are not always reliable either. About 10 years ago we were on our 2001 RKC in upstate NY, the bike had maybe 20,000 miles at the time when the throttle stopped working. Waited about 2 hours for a tow (HOG roadside assistance at the time), and of course it started pouring rain as we waited. One of the throttle cables had broken. An hour or so at the dealer and we were back on our way. All told maybe 3-4 hours, but the sun was back out!

Old 09-25-2014, 04:53 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Tbw

146.000 miles on fly by wire. 61K on 08 StreetGlide, 35K on 11 UL, 50K on 13 UL.

Not 1 problem yet.

Old 09-25-2014, 04:57 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by rshwetz
How many have had this throttle fail, and put them into limp mode. And if so it an easy fix.
It has happened to me. Looking for information.

08 FLHTC

Thanks
It is pretty reliable as most cars are moving to this to as it offers the ability to adjust throttle response programmatically, for tailored response, as well as the easy inclusion of cruise control.

Old 09-25-2014, 04:58 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Jiggle the wires between the gas tank and back of fairing, That factory zip-tie is cinched down too tight not enough slack in wires, turning bars left and right Will cause the wire to break or short.It can be difficult to find if the wire breaks inside the insulation. Happened to me on both sides. The one on the left ate my antenna wire and ABS front wheel sensor wire.

Last edited by Smokey Stover; 09-25-2014 at 04:59 PM. Reason: spellin
Old 10-25-2014, 10:35 AM
NAUIdvr1
Tourer

Subscribing so I can find this thread later

Old 10-25-2014, 09:14 PM
gdoc89
Tourer

38k on my '08 Street Glide....no issues. Will check the TB connector though.

I see no reason to want to live in the past however....I do remember hearing some people preferred horses to automobiles at some point....just wouldn't want to be one of them!

Old 10-25-2014, 09:58 PM
HammerBACA
2nd Gear

I installed a Throttlepak and the connector was loose causing the throttle to drop out constantly.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:21 AM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This issue really concerns me. I've an 09 SG w/ ~ 28k miles on it and so far have had no limp mode events. I wash my bike a lot and ride in rain.

I heard about issues with the TB connector this fall and asked a local dealer about replacing the pins. The service manager said he could find no part number for replacements and failed to mention the TSB noted above. ... Long ago I made a boot for the connection from a cut piece of 1.5" dia. bicycle inner tube. I'm going to check the connection, clean and apply new dielectric grease.

What else should I do? Are there higher quality replacement connectors? If so, can anyone help with a pn, and what is replaced, male, female, or both? Any other fix?

I live around lots a multi-lane expressways. My strategy is to ride far left fast-enough to not hold up traffic, so I only have lunatics in cages on one side of me. Loosing my motor 4-5 lanes from the right shoulder does not sound good.

Thanks

Last edited by jefla; 10-26-2014 at 09:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Fly By Wire Throttle Failures