Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine Light Code Issue & Code Reader

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 09:22 AM
cwalker1
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light Code Issue & Code Reader

I have an '03 Ultra - 25k - stage 1 - no other mods to speak of. It died without warning the other day while riding. While coasting to a stop, I let the clutch back out to see if it would catch and restart, which it did, but then it idled high (over 2k) for the next few miles and then settled back down. The check engine light is coming back on after start-up, which indicates there is a code stored, but when I jump across terminals 1 & 2 of the diagnostic plug as noted in the service manual, nothing happens. Any other suggestions on how to get it to flash the codes? I checked the DTC codes by holding the odometer button while turning the ignition on and it shows all 10 DTC spots clear.

I see where HD is selling a code reader now for $150 or so, but no one at the local dealer knows if the reader really tells me anything other than what I should be getting through the DTC codes. Has anyone tried one of these yet? Hate to drop the money if not needed.

Thanks -

Old 07-08-2010, 12:03 PM
BikerSanta
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light Code Issue & Code Reader

I too am very interested in the code reader. I have an '04 Electra Glide Std, EFI with 68000 miles and mine has been stalling/stuttering, typically with an 18-wheeler on my tail. Idle fluctuates irregular, and stranger yet my fuel gauge stopped, then started working after a restart. I'm new to this forum but very interested in the opinions of fellow bikers. I am tired of the exhaustive repairs on my HD. btw, my last payment is next week, and the bike is parked for fear it will get me killed.