Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 ultra horn

Old 05-27-2010, 08:28 AM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

NOW FOR THE NEWS!!!!

"Your cheaply made stock plastic horn sh@t the bed and you need a new one.

Film at 11."

Sammi

Old 05-27-2010, 08:41 AM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sammi
NOW FOR THE NEWS!!!!

"Your cheaply made stock plastic horn sh@t the bed and you need a new one.

Film at 11."

Sammi
Nice...LMAO...

Old 05-27-2010, 10:39 AM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

The horn issue is a common problem. As I understand it, they buy cheap horns from Mexico and it's cheaper to replace a few than to get better ones from the start. Had my horn replaced after only a few months on a new bike. Replacement has been fine, so far. If your warrantee has expired do as the others have said. Either buy a similar replacement from the auto parts store or from the MoCo. They're cheap at either place and you may have better luck. Otherwise look for the HF or Stiebel type horns and you won't miss the old one at all.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:19 PM
tphillips
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Ranger
As I said, I cleaned the connections checked all the grounds as stated above and it didn't help sometimes it worked and sometimes it sounded like a wounded duck. To me it wasn't worth dicking around with it. So spend 20 bucks and get a new one and then you don't have to be asking the question and then criticizing people who are trying to help you out.
"NEWS:"
I have an '05 Ultra and noticed "intermittent" problems, and especially evident during our Christmas parade when we were asked to blow the horn alot for the kids in the crowd. After doing so, and without high RPM's, it was like someone had stuffed a pillow in the horn -- muffled, and sick-duck sounding. Subsequent tests after higher RPM's seemed to solve the problem, then replacing the battery shortly thereafter resolved the problem completely.

"WEATHER:"
Also, not satisfied with the ineffectiveness of the horn in getting anyone's attention, I subsequently replaced the horn with a 139 dB chrome box horn that wakes up everyone in the nearby vicinity.

Hope that helps...

Old 05-27-2010, 12:31 PM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tphillips
"NEWS:"
I have an '05 Ultra and noticed "intermittent" problems, and especially evident during our Christmas parade when we were asked to blow the horn alot for the kids in the crowd. After doing so, and without high RPM's, it was like someone had stuffed a pillow in the horn -- muffled, and sick-duck sounding. Subsequent tests after higher RPM's seemed to solve the problem, then replacing the battery shortly thereafter resolved the problem completely.

"WEATHER:"
Also, not satisfied with the ineffectiveness of the horn in getting anyone's attention, I subsequently replaced the horn with a 139 dB chrome box horn that wakes up everyone in the nearby vicinity.

Hope that helps...
I noticed the same thing but I replaced my horn long before I ever replaced my battery and even with the OEM battery I never had a problem with the new horn.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:02 PM
flhtpi158
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem with my horn as well, i replaced it with the current harley revision which i believe is 69060-90F. The new horn works great and sounds better than the old one when it was working.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:12 PM
yota
Cruiser

Sorry to all who took that the wrong way..but was not asking what horn to buy..was aking for whats wrong with what I had. I was not trying to poke anyone in the eys so for those offended,,,Again sorry..Those who answered I thank you for your efforts with the answer to my question.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:35 PM
rstekeur
Road Captain

same thing with the 05 I had replaced the horn twice, first time under warranty. Probably made in china

Old 05-28-2010, 12:18 AM
PaFatboy
Tourer

I have the same problem on my Roadie, I was thinking that maybe it was dirty contacts in the horm button. I haven't tried a fix yet, been to busy. Instead of blowing the horn, I've been "flipping people OFF" when needed.

Maybe later today I'll take the switch block off and check out the horn button, maybe douche it out with electrical contact cleaner.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:30 AM
hdmike
Advanced

Thanks for the info. Have the same problem with my '05 Ultra horn.
Any Auto Parts replacement horn better than the others?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 05 ultra horn