Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monkey bagger bar install questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 08:07 AM
B-Squared
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Monkey bagger bar install questions

Hey all,
I am on the downhill side of my 10" MBB install and could use a little advice. First, I have read all the threads on the wiring of them, and finally got through that fun job. Now after installing the bars, both control side Molex connectors seem to be short, to the point that it would require some major re-routing. The thing is, I'm not comfortable with how it's going to have the wires stretched and up against the radio. Anyhow, is it advisable to get a couple Molex plugs and make "extension cords" to make the routing clean and in OEM locations?
Secondly, I bought a +4 clutch cable and am looking for how to route that, as the clutch perch is quite a bit higher than the grommet in the inner. Pictures would sure help if anyone has some.
Thanks in advance for those who can help.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:47 AM
mike1158
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey, join the club... i'm just about to wrap up the work on my 10" MBBs also.. i switched out for a painted inner fairing at the same time so it has been ALOT of fun.. You were able to pull the wires through yourself? CONGRATS.. i was not so lucky. I, like you, read all of the threads and got all the stuff (piece of small chain, weed wacker line, conduit lube) and still was not successfull...but then again, patience is NOT my middle name.
After FINALLY getting one side through and seeing that 4 pin connectors broke i proceeded to try to pull the TBW through and broke my pulling line.. "time to PUNT!"... i ended up taking my bars to my dealer and paying through the nose to have the wires pulled... i figured i did all the other work myself so i'm still ahead.
I think if i had to do it again (am i CRAZY?) i would just plan on cutting the pins off and reconnecting them after the wires were through
(as a side note for anyone else thinking of tackling this that may be on the fence abouy D.I.Y. i heard from a guy on here that he sent his bars to Yaffe and they pulled the wires for him for like $100.... i can't substantiate this 100% but as anyone who has done or TRIED this themselves will tell you a figure that low will seriously make you think about letting someone else do it)

As for the molex connectors...i had no problem hooking up the connector from the left hand side..the right hand side i did do a little rerouting.. i cut off a short piece of the stock wire loom (about 4") from the main harness and that gave me plenty of slack to pull the connector back around the fairing bracket toward the center of the fairing, and route it down along side the radio to connect to the the bar wires.

And as for the clutch, i ordered a 4"+ Magnum line and i ran it up along side the radio, between the radio and the fairing bracket and then out the fairing hole.. it looked a little odd when i put it through the fairing hole but when i hooked it up to the lever it looked and worked fine.
TIP: DO NOT CONNECT THE TRANNY SIDE OF THE CABLE FIRST....

Hope this helps, good luck.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:01 AM
Rock Chalk
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mike1158
As for the molex connectors...i had no problem hooking up the connector from the left hand side..the right hand side i did do a little rerouting.. i cut off a short piece of the stock wire loom (about 4") from the main harness and that gave me plenty of slack to pull the connector back around the fairing bracket toward the center of the fairing, and route it down along side the radio to connect to the the bar wires.

same for me on the right side. left side i ended up taking it back behind the bracket. hard to explain, i've got my fairing apart again (left stock clutch cable...but changing that out now) i'll try to get a photo tonight.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:21 AM
B-Squared
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. Anyone else please feel free to chime in.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:36 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I have 12s and just rerouted all the plugs under the radio instead of mounting to the fairing.