Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another oil question

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 07:23 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lost1
+1 !!!
+2 !!!!!

Did you know our motors are oil cooled???

As well as air cooled.

IMO. All 96" Twin Cams should have an oil cooler. My temps are 30 degrees lower with a cooler. Max 230 going slow in the summer. 185 otherwise.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:43 PM
akodust
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Redline is what I use in all three holes.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:48 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I use AMS. I just changed it this weekend with only 2800 miles on it soley because the stuff was jet black!

Temps... couldnt tell ya whats better but this stuff is supposed to be real good.
It just got so black I dropped the oil just for that reason....I probably could have left it in there 2000 more miles but oh well.....

Old 05-26-2010, 07:55 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I like Lucas 20W50......just to be different.

Mobil 1, Amsoil and Redline are the group favorites. I have read, and I am no PHD plus I stayed at Embassy Suites not Holiday Inn last night, that it is best to pick one and stick with it. The seals apparently get used to a certain degree of swelling from an oils additive and might change (small leaks) if different oil is introduced. Then again.....that might be BS.

Pick one, stick with it and forget about it IMO.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:06 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't stay at the Holiday Inn last night, but the Marriott Courtyard was just as good.

Just pick a good synthetic and ride. I'm really liking the Redline Shockproof Heavy in the Tranny.

I wonder how many posts this oil thread will go?

Old 05-26-2010, 08:17 PM
shagnasty
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've tried Syn 3, Mobil 1, Amsoil, Redlline, and Royal Purple. All seemed to work fine. No way could I tell any difference by seat of the pants or with noise or anything else. Bike ran the same no matter what brand. Any top shelf oil will do fine, just follow service intervals and ride on!

Old 05-26-2010, 08:21 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sportbike1
I'm using the new Harley synthetic.......Have thought about using AMSOIL
I noticed AMSOIL runs a few degrees cooler than SYN3.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:43 PM
Spur56
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can tell you without a doubt that a true synthetic will run cooler given the same conditions. But this difference will only be a few degrees. Syns will do other things better than Dino. They flow better at low temps, they provide more protection from metal to metal or better film strength. They shear less causing less viscocity loss. And they last longer. So there is no question that they are better than Dino. Having said all that, depending on the application and change interval they are fine to use. The heat of an air cooled engine makesthem the best choice, but you can certainly go 5000 miles with no problem and are wasting money changing before.

Another thing, oil turning dark is not an indicator that it is bad. Many syns and dino's turn dark very quickly. That is a function of the additive package.

True syns are amsoil, redline, royal purple and others. Mobil 1 is not a true synthetic and uses a small amount of group 3 Dino oil. But for all practical purposes it is a synthetic and a very good oil.

So having said that, if you are bound and determined to change every 3000 miles, then just use a good Dino. If you can go 5000, then a syn is without a better lubricant. Choice is up to you. It's your bike and your money

Old 05-26-2010, 08:46 PM
Spur56
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can tell you without a doubt that a true synthetic will run cooler given the same conditions. But this difference will only be a few degrees. Syns will do other things better than Dino. They flow better at low temps, they provide more protection from metal to metal or better film strength. They shear less causing less viscocity loss. And they last longer. So there is no question that they are better than Dino. Having said all that, depending on the application and change interval dinos are fine to use. The heat of an air cooled engine makesthem the best choice, but you can certainly go 5000 miles with no problem and are wasting money changing before.

Another thing, oil turning dark is not an indicator that it is bad. Many syns and dino's turn dark very quickly. That is a function of the additive package.

True syns are amsoil, redline, royal purple and others. Mobil 1 is not a true synthetic and uses a small amount of group 3 Dino oil. But for all practical purposes it is a synthetic and a very good oil.

So having said that, if you are bound and determined to change every 3000 miles, then just use a good Dino. If you can go 5000, then a syn is without a doubt a better lubricant. Choice is up to you. It's your bike and your money

Last edited by Spur56; 05-27-2010 at 07:20 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:47 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by atrain68

I wonder how many posts this oil thread will go?
Mods have moved it......no gun fire yet.....might make it to page 3!

Quick Reply: Another oil question