Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will only start in neutral

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 09:08 AM
hawgsickle
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will only start in neutral

when I try to start in 1st gear with the clutch engaged, it will barely turn the motor over. not enough to start it.

slip it into neutral, no problem.

battery weak, starter ?

anybody run into this ?

Old 05-31-2010, 09:53 AM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Use nuetral, problem solved.

Cant figure out why so many people want to start them in gear, must be the noobie thing to do!

Old 05-31-2010, 10:34 AM
hawgsickle
Intermediate

it may be the "newbie" thing to do, but the reason I asked, I found myself needing to start my bike to get the he77 out of the way of some idiot and really didn't have time to look for neutral. that's when I found out it wouldn't start in 1st. luckily, I was able to get the idiots attention before he whacked my bike.

thanks anyway

Old 05-31-2010, 10:54 AM
robfaulkner
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start in neutral.....

Your bike should start in gear (with the clutch handle in) - if only for the reasons you say. I think most of us have experienced the need to get a quick restart. I know I have. Forget the other comment. I'd suggest checking your battery terminal connections to make sure they are tight and clean. Also make sure the starter bolts are tight - the starter gets its ground through them. Either of those situations, if not correct, can reduce the available "juice" the starter needs, especially under load. Do you have engine mods? If so, higher compression makes the starter work harder. Starting in neutral is always a good thing to do - except when you don't have time to get to neutral.

Originally Posted by hawgsickle
it may be the "newbie" thing to do, but the reason I asked, I found myself needing to start my bike to get the he77 out of the way of some idiot and really didn't have time to look for neutral. that's when I found out it wouldn't start in 1st. luckily, I was able to get the idiots attention before he whacked my bike.

thanks anyway

Old 06-01-2010, 10:33 AM
NiteOwl
Supporter
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by hawgsickle
when I try to start in 1st gear with the clutch engaged, it will barely turn the motor over. not enough to start it.
Hi hawgsickle, I have run into similar situation. When I start in gear, I mostly can, however I can feel the huge load and difference, I do have the higher compression engine and it does start. . well mostly grin.

My first suspect is the battery, it maybe that the thing is not up to the task any longer. I wonder if your using a battery tender during storage periods? If not, its certainly more likely that that component is on its way out, especially if this is a new development.. New Battery, cheap insurance.

BTW, NICE looking ride !

Old 06-01-2010, 10:56 AM
semiret
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe that when you start the bike in neutral, there are fewer gears/shafts being turned that when you start in gear but with the clutch pulled in.

Here's my reasoning - I am a newbie and I used to always park the bike in gear. This was done mainly to stop the bike from inadvertantly rolling. When I would start the bike, it would sometimes lurch forward, even with the clutch pulled in. When I took it to the dealer to check the adjustment, that's where I learned to park in neutral.

I have also noticed that if I stall the bike (which is thankfully getting much less frequent), when I try to restart while in gear, the starter turns VERY slowly.

I see you have a 2008 and wonder if that is still the factory battery. If so, it might be time to get a replacement - perhaps one with greater CCA

Last edited by semiret; 06-01-2010 at 11:36 AM. Reason: fat finger errors
Old 06-01-2010, 11:00 AM
menmia
Cruiser

I could be off here, but I was wondering if you needed to adjust your clutch. I would think that with the clutch engaged, if you were not getting any clutch drag, you would be starting just like it was in neutral.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:31 AM
c50plus
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

If the safety swtich in the cluch ( hanlde bar) is not pressed all the way
down bike will not start in gear. That can happen if you change your level to a differnet
design form the OEM.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:38 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by menmia
I could be off here, but I was wondering if you needed to adjust your clutch. I would think that with the clutch engaged, if you were not getting any clutch drag, you would be starting just like it was in neutral.
My thought as well, do you feel the bike pulling forward at the same time?

Old 06-01-2010, 11:48 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

If the bike starts easily when in neutral there is little wrong with the electrics. When starting in neutral the starter is only turning over the primary drive plus a shaft in the gearbox. When starting in gear there is clutch drag plus the internals of the gearbox to turn over, which are dunked in 'treacle', so load on the starter is significantly greater.

Checking electrics may improve things, as also using a top quality battery, plus ensuring the clutch is adjusted just right.

Quick Reply: Will only start in neutral