Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Zumo gps for ultra classic help help please

Old 06-01-2010, 10:13 AM
hdgstreetglide
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD Zumo gps for ultra classic help help please

Hello, I recently installed this gps unit on my fathers ultra classic. The question I have is. Can u run the radio audio or Xm and still be able to hear the gps threw the bike speakers as well. You can plug this unit up to the AUX port on the bike but that takes you to the AUX mode and you then lose the fm or Xm or cd and what not. Just as if you were using an iPod or mp3. So is there something I'm missing or a harness sold sepratley that I missed to allow you to overide this so you can jam to the tunes of the radio and still have the gps come in when the directions are being spoken. Kinda like the cars do where the music volumes down a little and then goes back up after the directions are spoken. I'm really hoping so because my father was thinking it was going to do this and for the money spent on this thing I would hope you don't have to switch back and forth between audio and the aux just to hear the directions. I do believe you can load music onto the gps itself but he loves his Xm. Thank you so much for any input you can provide to me.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:45 AM
JoeN
Tourer

try zumo forums. they would be the best to answer. the zumo is the same as hd zumo. good luck. i need to know also

Old 06-01-2010, 10:56 AM
CLL375
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the Zumo 660 and if you have it on AUX it will interrupt a song playing from a the unit to give directions. If you are playing the radio or XM the Zumo has no way to communicate with the radio. There is some talk about using an FM modulator to broadcast over the radio but I think that's all it is, talk. I have a 16gig card in my Zumo loaded with music so that works for me.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:09 AM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are correct, you can only hear commands from the Zumo when the unit is plugged into the radio, and it's set to AUX mode.

You can purchase a separate XM kit for the Zumo that will allow you to hear XM through the Zumo.

J&M makes this intergration kit. I have no experience with it, but they make quality stuff. Call them and see if it will do what you want.

http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....FRG-HRUC&PF=43

Old 06-01-2010, 11:30 AM
tedcmiller (Cry Baby)
Banned

There is no way to connect any external GPS that I know of to the H-D audio system except through the Aux port. If you do this you will hear the H-D audio only if you switch to FM, XM, etc., in which case you will not hear the GPS audio.

H-D makes a GPS that attaches to the H-D Harmon-Kardon system in the same way that XM and CBs attach and will display turn maps on the H-K display. The audio from that unit automatically interrupts the audio from the normal H-K systems without the rider having to switch away from the normal audio. That system, IMO, is totally inadequate. I have the Road Tech 650 Zumo, and I do not use the audio.

Right now, the 650 which was cheaper than the 550 because it had no XM, has been replaced by the 660 which does have XM. I have the H-D XM module and do not need XM in my GPS. If, however, all you want to listen to is XM then get a GPS with built-in XM and plug it into the H-D Aux. Garmin units with built-in XM will interrupt the XM with guidance audio when necessary.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:43 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

You didn't say which Zumo you have. If you have the 550 you can buy the XM antenna, a hockey puck looking device, that will receive XM radio and GPS directions. It will do this because it integrates with the GPS and not the HK radio...

But you can also used a Kennedy Cellset device...
see link - http://www.cellset.com/multigps.html
this setup will allow all functions of the HK radio and the GPS through the HK radio.

If you have a 550 Zumo and just want XM also I would go with the Garmin XM antenna.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=311#gxm30

Zumo 550 / XM compatible
Zumo 660 / XM NO
Zumo 665 / comes with XM antenna

Last edited by Casper; 06-01-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:53 AM
tedcmiller (Cry Baby)
Banned

Sorry, I was wrong when I said in a earlier post the 660 has XM. It does not. Only the 550 comes with XM. The zumo 665 does have XM, but it is not available through H-D.

Last edited by tedcmiller (Cry Baby); 06-01-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:52 PM
NYRobG
Advanced

Here's what I do.

I have the Garmin Road Tech Zumo 660 mounted using H-Ds left side fairing mount. I have loaded about 100 or so MP3s on to the Zumo, and have it pretty much on shuffle mode all the time.

When I'm riding on long streches I'll switch the H-Ks mode to FM or CD, and as I approach (a few miles out) from upcoming turns I flip the H-K to Aux mode and let the GPS and MP3s entertain and guide me.

When I'm on short hops I just listen to the GPS and MP3 player.

I should also say that I sent my H-K radio in to Iron Cross Audio and had them install an Aux pigtail in the back of the unit, so that all the wiring is underneath the fairing, all nice and neat.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:18 PM
Ferggie
Advanced
Default XM through the ZUMO

I have the Zumo 550 with the Garmin XM puck and love it. I can listen to the XM, mp3's, phone (blue toothed) and directions without switching out of aux.

I would like to have the 665 since it is a bigger display but I wouldn't waste the $ to change mine out. I have the fairing mount for it on my EG and it is a real clean look.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:26 PM
Dougger
Cruiser
Default Zumo 550

I have the 550 and use the XM all the time. The GPS instructions will override the XM.
I don't remember if it will override the FM function. The 550 is well worth the dollars to have both the XM & GPS function in one unit vs the HD price of the radio installed GPS & XM units.
You also get a car windshield mount too, so you can multiple use the unit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HD Zumo gps for ultra classic help help please