Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Garage Door Opener Solution

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 10:32 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,205 Likes on 8,361 Posts

So, Y`all have a way to open a garage door via of a remote on your motorcycles, but I need something that will open TWO items independently; namely an automatic gate AND a garage door. Currently I have to carry two openers in my pockets, which can be a hassle at times, especially when the weather sucks.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:38 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by hvacgaspiping
So, Y`all have a way to open a garage door via of a remote on your motorcycles, but I need something that will open TWO items independently; namely an automatic gate AND a garage door. Currently I have to carry two openers in my pockets, which can be a hassle at times, especially when the weather sucks.
Take the remotes apart and wire them together, it will be like hitting both buttons at once.

Just a thought.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:32 AM
ironjunkie
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bite the Bullet!

http://gripswitch.readingdesigns.com/

We've already got $25-30-40 grand in these machines. What's another $100! Doesn't require any programming. Check it out.....

Attached Thumbnails Another Garage Door Opener Solution-20131221_092803.jpg  
Old 12-21-2013, 11:46 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,904 Likes on 3,015 Posts

This is a great idea, only problem I see is when your riding and actually USING the high beam, the remote is getting constant power, significantly reducing the life of the remote. But maybe opening doors you pass, now that has possibilities.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:03 PM
Trucky911
Road Warrior

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by RANGER73
This is a great idea, only problem I see is when your riding and actually USING the high beam, the remote is getting constant power, significantly reducing the life of the remote. But maybe opening doors you pass, now that has possibilities.
The remote is a momentary switch. It's always powered when the battery is in it. When you hit the high beam switch the remote switch goes on then off. I've done 3 Harleys this way.

http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=20947

Trucky911

Old 12-21-2013, 02:27 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Here is how I did mine back in the day:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wanted to install a garage door opener on the scoot, without giving the MoCo $130 bucks, so I used an existing visor mount model, and installed it in the dash. From the outside, there is no way to tell it's there.

Not counting the connectors and wire, which I already had, and the opener, which I already had, I have a total of 9 bucks, and 2 hours in this project.

This is a really simple project, if you trust yourself with a test light, a continuity tester and a soldering iron.

Here's how to do it:

First, make sure you have a 12 volt unit. The battery will tell you how many volts. A 12v battery is near the diameter of a AA, but it is shorter.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Second is the parts I needed.
HD# 67880-94 is the rubber boot.
HD# 67854-98 is the Speedometer Reset switch.
The opener, some wire, I used red for hot, black for ground, and purple for the switch.
A 3M Quick Connect, for the hot lead.
Shrink tube and heat-shrink connectors, I like waterproof.
And most important, if you follow the green arrow... Diet Coke.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

This is what it looks like, when you take it apart.

This is the bottom of your circuit board. The red arrows point to the back of the switch. Note there are 2 poles to each side of the switch.

This is the top of your circuit board. The purple arrow points to the switch, and the red arrows point to 2 of the poles.

Here it is with all of the wires soldered in place. Note where the red arrow is I bent the corner of the switch up. I used a continuity tester to be sure I did not cross the switch, and found I had, so I bent it up a bit.

Be sure you know which pole is hot and which is ground for your power.

Here it is finished, and reassembled.

In the dash...
Yellow arrow: Hot lead to the accessory lead under the ignition switch.
Green arrow: Ground run to the bolt at the top of my engine guard.
Red arrow: New switch installed.
Purple arrow: I wrapped some weatherproof foam and tape around the unit.
Orange arrow: Chickie's Butt.

Here is the new switch installed...

And here it is once again, finished
Green arrow: Speedometer/Clock/Odometer reset
Red arrow: Garage Door Opener
Orange arrow: Chickie's Butt

Old 12-21-2013, 03:42 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Why not something simple as this:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...1&marketID=206
or find a comparable one to work with your particular door opener?
That way you can take it with you for what ever vehicle you decide to use from your fleet...
An easy solution...all I did was use Velcro to attach it to the inside of my batwing...easy peasy.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:52 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,904 Likes on 3,015 Posts

Originally Posted by Trucky911
The remote is a momentary switch. It's always powered when the battery is in it. When you hit the high beam switch the remote switch goes on then off. I've done 3 Harleys this way.

http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=20947

Trucky911
But your bypassing the switch, and using the high beam to feed the PCB. So the Printed Circuit Board has power to it as long as the high beam is on.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:20 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

If you have a garage door opener that works on something other than 12v, then a voltage regulator can be incorporated to drop the bikes voltage to whatever voltage your garage door opener is designed to use. A lot of transmitters these days run on the 2032 batteries which are 3 volts.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...=c&cagpspn=pla

But really, why go to all of this trouble when simply sticking, with Velcro, a spare opener behind the lower back pad of the passenger? Works like a champ, easy, quick, out of sight, always there, protected from weather, and easily reachable by rider or passenger. The passenger does not feel it at all. Way too simple for the Ultra owner.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:13 PM
glenalt
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

subscribed